Committee Reports

NASIG Newsletter, Mar 2018

By Del Williams, Published on 03/01/18

A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.

Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1894&context=nasig

Committee Reports

Submitted on: January Members 0 1 2 0 Kate Seago, chair (University of Kentucky) Derrik Hiatt, vice-chair (Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi) Laurie Kaplan, member (ProQuest) Tessa Minchew, member (North Carolina State University) Sofia Slutskaya, member (Georgia Institute of Technology) Maria Hatfield, board liaison, WT Cox Information Services , USA 1 Bylaws Committee Submitted by: Kate Seago 2 Committee Members Delphia Williams, chair (California State University, Northridge) Jennifer Leffler, vice chair (University of Northern Colorado) Jamie Carlstone, member (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) Lea Currie, member (University of Kansas) Lori Duggan, member (Indiana University) Susan Elkins, member (Sam Houston State University) Rachel Erb, member (Colorado State University) Joe Hinger, Mexican Student award liaison (St. John's University) Elaine McCracken, member (University of California at Santa Barbara) Vanessa Mitchell, member (Library of Congress) Tina Nolan, member (Lamar University) Tom Osina, ex officio (NonProfit Help) Moon Kim, member (California State University , Fullerton) Ted Westervelt, board liaison, Library of Congress , USA Continuing Activities Continuing Activities - Committee members are reviewing award applications. Del Williams updated the A&R manual to include the annual review of awards not awarded in the previous three years and that Student Outreach would take over contacting LIS schools regarding awards. Committee members reviewed and updated award descriptions. Announcement that applications for awards were updated and ready for distribution went to Student Outreach. Statistical Information Applications are still being collected. Submitted on: February 25, 2018 The Bylaws Committee during this quarter worked to complete changes to the Bylaws. Steps up to requesting feedback from NASIG members were completed. This supports the Strategic Plan since it will provide clarity on committee member terms and increase options to fill vacancies. Completed Activities The Bylaws Committee during this quarter finished work on the final wording for the Bylaw changes and sent the revisions out to the membership for review. Action(s) Required by Board The Board had asked the Bylaws Committee to revise the Committee Section. The Bylaws Committee revised the Bylaws and is now following the process to get the revised Bylaws voted on by NASIG membership. Submitted on: January 19, 2018 Communications Committee Submitted by: Melissa Cantrell and Heidy Berthoud Members Heidy Berthoud, co-chair (Vassar College) [Listmanager] Melissa Cantrell, co-chair (University of Colorado Boulder) [Webspinner] Rachel Miles, vice co-chair (Kansas State University) [Webspinner] Treasa Bane, vice co-chair (University of Wisconsin – Baraboo) [Listmanager] Eugenia Beh, Marketing & Social Media Coordinator (MIT) Melissa Randall, SERIALIST Moderator (Clemson University) Peter Whiting, Archivist (University of Southern Indiana) Beth Ashmore, member (Samford University Library) Michael Fernandez, member (American University) Lisa Gonzalez, member (PALNI) Smita Joshipura, member (Arizona State University) David Macaulay, member (University of Wyoming) Chris Bulock, board liaison (California State University, Northridge) • • • • • • • • • • • • Completed Activities Committee members are rotating regular duties (blog, jobs blog, spam filter and SERIALST monitoring). Committee is reviewing and updating of documentation in the CMC wiki. Publicist consults with and sends announcements from committee chairs or the board as requested to external lists. Publicist schedules tweets and re-tweets of items of interest, including events (with repeated reminders of deadlines), availability of presentations, proceedings, etc.; advertises the Jobs Blog; and scans the Newsletter for individual items to highlight; posts items of interest to Facebook and/or LinkedIn. - Strategic Direction # 1 SERIALST Manager approves posts, collects posts for weekly commercial digest, and assists list members with subscription issues. Listmanager handles moderation/approval of NASIG-L messages, adding/deleting members, and other list maintenance, including project to match “orphaned” email addresses with names from the membership database. Successfully recruited Treasa Bane to serve as vice co-chair, listmanager Created new webpage and Member Center roster for the Web-Based Infrastructure Implementation Task Force Repurposed existing webtf listserv for use by the Web-Based Infrastructure Implementation Task Force Updated sponsorships web page to reflect Fundraising Coordinator and created email Updated and posted nomination form for N&E committee Mediated communications with ArcStone regarding Membership dues and status issues • Updated Evaluation and Assessment Committee webpage, listserv, and email address for 2018 calendar year • Created and distributed communications for Bylaws changes comments and vote. • Posted older NASIG webinar videos to YouTube for the Continuing Education Committee, and posted archived webinars at NASIG website and the blog. - Strategic Direction # 4 • Updated license for Core Competencies for Scholarly Communication Librarians to CC BY-SA • Added NASIG webinar FAQs for CEC committee to website • Updated forwarding information for and • Liaised with bee.net regarding problems with bounced messages from ecu.edu Statistical Information NASIG-L NASIG has 39 listservs NASIG has 28 active @nasig.org email addresses As of 1/22/2018, there are 841 subscribed members to NASIG-L and 166 unsubscribed members SlideShare As of 1/2018, 240 presentations/posters are available on the NASIG SlideShare channel. As of 1/2018, NASIG on SlideShare has 107 followers. Views 9/18/2017 - January 17, 2018 - 7,053 Total (since March 2012) – 84,911 (Estimated based on last year’s January report; these numbers are not consistent from the SlideShare Analytics platform). Top Content, October 18, 2017 – January 16, 2018 (views) 1. Why the Internet is more attractive than the library (363) 2. The impact of reorganization on staff: using the core competencies as a framework for staff training and development (288) 3. Library as publisher handout 5-template questionnaire (164) 4. Scholarly video journals to increase productivity in research and education (99) 5. Managing discovery and linking services (99) Blog stats September 2017 – January 17, 2018 NASIG Blog views – 7,173 (Best Views Ever Occurred October 3rd, 2017) Jobs Blog views – 5,859 Website Website sessions (Google Analytics) - September 18, 2017 - January 17, 2018 September 18-30, 2017 1,249 October 2017 November 2017 December 2017 January 1-16 2018 Total 3,880 3,033 2,012 1,283 11,457 Top Ten Landing Pages (Google Analytics) - September 18, 2017 - January 17, 2018 www.nasig.org and /site_home.cfm 4,257 /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 2,845 u=700&pk_association_webpage=1228 (Conference Page) /site_home.cfm (Home) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 1,116 u=310&pk_association_webpage=7802 (Core Competencies for E-Resources Librarians) 1,323 Members Eugenia Beh (MIT Libraries) Continuing Activities Completed Activities /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 1,023 u=308&pk_association_webpage=186 (Vision and Mission) /sites/site_signin.cfm (Sign-in) 1,007 /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 967 u=310&pk_association_webpage=122 (Core Competencies) /site_event_detail.cfm?pk_association_event= 911 15496 (Event Detail) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 826 u=310&pk_association_webpage=9435 (Core Competencies for Schol. Comm. Librarians) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men 718 u=700 (Annual Conference) Facebook As of 1/17/2018, NASIG on FB has 393 members. LinkedIn As of 1/17/2018, NASIG on LinkedIn has 444 members. SERIALST 2,353 subscribers (as of 1/17/2018) 304 messages sent to subscribers from September 2017-January 2018. Submitted on: 1/26/2018 • • • Continue to promote 2018 Annual Conference through blog, listservs and social media. Continue to develop presence on social media by posting, liking and retweeting content. Continue to implement marketing plan proposed by NonProfit Help. Posted and promoted the following blog posts on multiple listservs, Twitter and Facebook: o Call for Proposals: NASIG Great Ideas Showcase and Snapshot Sessions o NASIG 2018 Pre-conferences o 2018 John Merriman Joint NASIG/UKSG Award o December 2017 issue of the NASIG Newsletter o Sponsorship Opportunities for NASIG o NASIG Announces Conference Rates for 2018 o 2018 NASIG Grants, Awards, and Scholarships o 2017-2021 NASIG Strategic Plan o NASIG Executive Board: Call for Nominations o Recordings for archived webinars now available (16) o Pre-conference Presenters and Topics Announced for the 2018 NASIG Annual Conference o NASIG Webinar: How Accessible Is Our Collection? Performing an E-Resources Accessibility Review o 2018 Call for Proposals – Transforming the Information Community • • o September 2017 issue of the NASIG Newsletter o Vision Speakers for the 2018 Conference o NASIG Statement on Hurricane Harvey o NASIG Statement on Current Events o NASIG Core Competencies for Scholarly Communication Librarians o HARRASSOWITZ Announces 2017 Charleston Conference Scholarship Winner o Updated dates for 2018 Annual Conference o Feedback on presentations at the 2017 NASIG Conference o Recording of COUNTER Release 5 Webinar o 2017 Vision Session III: The Secret Life of Comics: Socializing and Seriality o 2017 Vision Session II: Racing to the Crossroads of Scholarly Communication: But Who Are We Leaving Behind? o 2017 Vision Session I: Advancing Discovery Science with FAIR Data Stewardship o 2017 Conference Evaluation o Free NASIG Webinar: COUNTER Release 5 (which exceeded our webinar limit) Uploaded and promoted recordings of the 2017 vision sessions in YouTube Created an Instagram account for NASIG Solicited donations for NASIG on Giving Tuesday and at the end of the year. • Have a Marketing and Social Media Coordinator-in-training, as with the Publicist/Publicist-in-training Submitted on: 1/31/18 Conference Planning Committee Submitted by: Marsha Seamans and Sarah Perlmutter Members Sarah Perlmutter, co-chair (EBSCO) Marsha Seamans, co-chair (University of Kentucky) Stacy Baggett, member (Shenandoah University) Lisa Barricella, member (East Carolina University) Donna Bennett, member (Georgia College) Eleanor Cook, member (East Carolina University) Beverly Geckle, member (Middle Tennessee State University) Richard Guajardo, member (University of Houston) Trina Holloway, member (Georgia State University) Martha Hood, member (University of Houston at Clear Lake) Shannon Keller, member (New York Public Library) Anu Moorthy, member (Life University) Denise Novak (Carnegie Mellon University) Pat Roncevich, member (University of Pittsburgh Law) Joyce Tenney, ex-officio (retired) Mary Ann Jones, ex-officio (Mississippi State University) Karen Davidson, ex-officio (Mississippi State University) Anne McKee, ex-officio (Greater Western Library Alliance) Tom Osina, ex-officio (Non-Profit Help) Steve Oberg, board liaison (Wheaton College) Continuing Activities • • • • Preparing to open conference registration. Updating conference website with local information and confirmed sponsorships. Committee meeting regularly via conference call. Active engagement with hotel liaison. Questions for Board Is there anything else that you would like to see from me at this time? • • • Local activity planning includes dine around options for Saturday and Sunday evenings, a Fun Run on Sunday morning. Continuing to solicit sponsorships. Pending Board approval, Action AV has been selected to provide audiovisual services for the conference. David Bradley, an Atlanta writer, filmmaker, history buff and storyteller has been engaged to speak before the opening reception, which will be held at the Grand Hyatt. Completed Activities Action(s) Required by Board • • Approval of estimated budget Approval of AV contract Questions for Board How can CPC contribute to enhancing the marketing for the conference? Anecdotal conversations are not indicating a high registration. Recommendations to Board Increase marketing and PR for the conference Submitted on: January 26, 2018 Conference Proceedings Submitted by: Paul Moeller Winter Mid-Year Report Members Paul Moeller, production editor (University of Colorado Boulder) Leigh Ann DePope, production assistant, (University of Maryland) Kristen Wilson, editor (North Carolina State University) Cynthia Shirkey, editor (East Carolina University) Angela Dresselhaus, board liaison (East Carolina University) Continuing Activities 2017 Proceedings: • Editing of submitted papers • Working with authors to improve quality of papers • Compiling front and back matter Completed Activities 2017 Proceedings: • New editors received training • Submitted papers have been edited • 34 of 36 expected papers have been received (a 2 session workshop has been combined as one paper) • 2 authors are working to complete their papers • 26 articles have been submitted to Taylor and Francis Budget No budget requests for this FY Submitted on: January 26, 2018 Continuing Education Committee Submitted by: Rachel Becker Members Rachel Becker (University of Wisconsin), Co-Chair, Committee Coordinator Xiaoyan Song (North Carolina State University), Co Chair, Webinar Coordinator David Bynog (Rice University) Melanie Church (Rockhurst University) Amanda Echterling (Virginia Commonwealth University) Adele Fitzgerald (St. Joseph’s College New York) Julia Hess (Ball State University) Julia Proctor (Pennsylvania State University) Lori Terrill (University of Wyoming) Shoko Tokoro (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) Continuing Activities • • • Upcoming webinar organized in collaboration with NC Serials conference focusing on student involvement in state and regional conferences Exploring trending topics related to NASIG members for webinars in the Spring Continuing the process of uploading past webinars onto YouTube and enhancing closed captioning to improve accessibility o Currently exploring and forming a process for creating accurate captioning for webinars posted on YouTube Completed Activities • • • • All past webinars (those at least 6 months in the past and without specific restrictions set by a speaker) are now posted on the NASIG website in WebEx format o These are available for anyone to access free of charge allowing access to quality webinars to those who could not afford it otherwise Offering a free webinar as a giveaway at the NC Serials conference and possibly other future conferences to encourage student involvement Currently have 4 confirmed speakers for joint NASIG/NISO webinar in March on Library as Publisher a two part webinar series o NISO will be handling registrations and technical scheduling from here Created a list of FAQs for NASIG webinars to help potential attendees answer commonly asked questions Submitted on: January 23, 2018 Evaluation and Assessment Submitted by: Melody Dale Members Melody Dale, chair (Mississippi State University) Michael Fernandez, vice-chair (American University)) Clinton Chamberlain, member (Dallas County Community College) Deberah England, member (Wright State University) Trina Nolen, member (Lamar University) Tim Hagan, member (Northwestern University) Derek Marshall, member (Mississippi State) Diana Reid, member (University of Louisville) Derek Wilmott, member (Clemson University) Karen Davidson, board liaison (Mississippi State University) Continuing Activities Review the Committee Manual and Committee Webpage for possible updating. Completed Activities • • • In March, the chair solicited feedback on new questions for the conference evaluation form from the Program Planning Committee and Conference Planning Committee chairs as well as from then-Board Liaison Adolfo Tarango. A mid-year committee report was submitted March 31, 2017. At the request of the Board, the Committee developed a Vendor Expo Survey in July. The survey was distributed to the email addresses provided, but only 3 vendors responded. The Committee plans to reevaluate and edit the survey and provide a link to vendors at the 2018 conference to increase the response rate. The Committee received 15 requests for individual conference evaluation results, all of which were sent by August 2017. In August, a final report of the conference evaluation results was provided for the NASIG Newsletter. A separate confidential report with a confidential link to the raw survey data was sent to the Executive Board, as well as the chairs of the Conference Planning Committee, Continuing Education Committee, and Program Planning Committee. In September, a survey was developed to evaluate the members’ opinion on the usefulness of the UKSG e-Newsletter. A report was sent to the Board in early October. In January 2018, Michael Fernandez will assume the position of chair. As of this report, no vicechair has been named. Revision of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee manual is currently underway. Budget $50 for Amazon gift card for conference evaluation drawing Submitted on: December 1, 2017 Membership Services Committee 2017/18 Mid-Year Board Report Submitted by Char Simser and Pat Adams Members Char Simser, co-chair (Kansas State University) Pat Adams, co-chair (GOBI Library Solutions) Heather Barrett (Southern Methodist University) Nancy Bennett (Carroll University) Stephanie Bernard (Robert Woodruff Library - Atlanta University Center) Bob Boissy (Springer Nature) Rebecca Culbertson (University of California, San Diego) Megan Ozeran (Yuba Community College) Christine Radcliff (Texas A&M University-Kingsville) Alice Rhoades (Rice University) Kathryn Wesley (Clemson University) • • • • • Revise the MSC Manual to reflect the merger of Membership Development and Database & Directory Committees. Regular monthly activities include: running new member, non-renewing, and deactivate reports (done by co-chair). Work is distributed amongst committee members and includes: 1) sending new member reports monthly to Communications Committee and Newsletter, and an edited report (names and emails only) of new members to NISO contact; 2) sending welcome letters to all new members; 3) sending non-renewing members a reminder to renew their membership, and 4) deactivating members who have not renewed two months past last expiration, and sending those reports to Communications for removal from NASIG-L. The committee co-chairs respond regularly to member login problems and renewal questions, update member organizational affiliations or other member information when needed. Members communicate any NASIG web issues they have encountered and we forward to the NASIG web committee. This relates indirectly to the first critical success factor of Strategic direction #1: “The web pages will be updated and revised to highlight important content, be easier to navigate...” as a good web experience is an important marketing component. Clean-up projects: o Organizational affiliations were updated based on information received from the treasurer. However, previous years’ organizational designees were still reflected in the database and coding within the member and organizational records have been inconsistent, making cleaning out the ‘old’ a more complicated process than expected. Wesley is recording that information and will review it with the MSC cochairs in early 2018. We will need to review processes with the treasurer to March 2018 o o ensure information is properly captured each year, and the manual will be updated accordingly. Duplicate member records: Duplicates, created when a member let their membership lapse and then re-joined, often have invoices attached to both old and new records. Merging the records wasn’t possible. Copying old information to notes on the new record (or vice versa) would make that information invisible to the member and deleting the old record removes the member history for that time. After consulting with Hanson and Ireland, we agreed to leave duplicate records as is until we have further clarification from AMO. At a conference call on January 24, we learned that a merge feature will be available soon. Duplicate organizations clean-up: Questions related to inconsistent organization types halted any work on this project until after the January conference call with support at AMO. The chairs will need to work with the treasurer to determine the best option for dealing with these and may need to have an additional call with AMO. • • • Completed Activities Membership dues types were updated in November. Organizational affiliations were updated based on information received from the treasurer. (See additional information under clean-up projects above regarding this.) All of the database clean-up projects, both ongoing and completed, support the first key action of Strategic direction #3: “Improve long-term recordkeeping…” We work closely with the Treasurer to improve and clean up the membership database while updating the manual for the next volunteer committee members. Budget No expenses expected. Statistical Information Member numbers as of January 23, 2018 Total –678 Regular – 458 Organizational - 35 Lifetime – 2 Library school student – 176 Complimentary – 7 Questions for Board Membership Services needs some clarification from the Board of the definition of Organizational Member. Is an Organizational Member those individuals designated by their organization (up to 3 per organization membership) or is this something else? These need to be defined clearly in both the Treasurer’s manual and the MSC manual. Submitted on January 26, 2018. Mentoring Group Submitted by: Trina Holloway Members Trina Holloway, chair (Georgia State University) Nadine Ellero, member (Auburn University) Sandy Folsom, member (Central Michigan University) Rachel Lundberg, member (Duke University Libraries) Adolfo Tarango, board liaison (University of British Columbia) Continuing Activities • Strategic direction # 2: NASIG will expand student outreach and mentoring. o Mentoring Group continues to collaborate with the Student Outreach Committee in regards to the Student Mentoring pilot program Mentoring Group will start the planning process for the “First-Timer” mentoring program. Announcement about the program goes out a month before the conference. Completed Activities • • Strategic direction # 2: NASIG will expand student outreach and mentoring. A mentoring program was developed and currently is active. Questions for Board A charge of the Mentoring Program is to organize the mentor/mentee program for “First-Timers.” • Will NASIG still host this event for the 2018 conference? • Will there be a reception? There was a challenge obtaining mentors for the student program not sure, if this will be an issue for the “First-Timer” mentoring program. Recommendations to Board The Mentoring Group and the Student Outreach Committee (SOC) collaborated to create the NASIG Student Mentoring Program. Would the Board consider investigating merging these two committees together if this program continues and create a subcommittee to organize the “First-Timers” mentoring program. Or investigate making the Student Mentoring Program the sole committee responsible for organizing the student mentoring program. To ease workload add additional members. Submitted on: January 22, 2018 10 NASIG STUDENT MENTORING PILOT PROGRAM MID-YEAR REPORT Submitted 1/15/18 by the Student Mentoring Program Subcommittee Katy Divittorio, Chair: (University of Colorado Denver) Kimberly Lawler, member (University of Colorado Boulder) Sandy Folsom, member (Park Library & Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University) Celia Gavett, member (University at Buffalo MLIS student and 2017 NASIG Fritz Schwartz Serials Education Scholarship Winner) Trina Holloway, member (Georgia State University Law Library) Stephanie Miller, member (San Francisco Theological Seminary Library, Graduate Theological Union) Shannon Regan, member (New York Public Library) Background In summer 2015 the NASIG Membership Committee recommended to the Board to offer free student membership. The Board approved and we quickly saw student membership jump to over 400+ student members. In spring 2016 the Board asked the Student Outreach Committee (SOC) to conduct a survey of new student members. This report indicated that student members are looking for networking & professional development opportunities. Over 50% of respondents responded that they wish NASIG offered a formal mentoring program. In result the SOC collaborated with the Mentoring Group to create a formal mentoring program for students. The Student Mentoring Program was approved by the Board in the fall of 2016 and a Subcommittee formed of members from SOC & the Mentoring Group was created. A call went out for mentors and mentees in the spring of 2017. Goals of Program • Provide an opportunity for student members to get involved with NASIG and connect with and learn from professionals in the Serials & EResources field. • Provide an opportunity for mentors to give back and help student members grow in the field while at the same time learning from their mentee(s). NASIG Newsletter March 2018 • Retain student members who may then become regular members. Participants We received 16 mentee applications and 14 mentor applications. Only current student NASIG Members in good standing are allowed participate as mentees. Any current NASIG Members in good standing can serve as a mentor. Mentors have the option of mentoring 1 or 2 mentees. All applicants were accepted, however one mentor and a few mentees dropped at the last minute resulting in 26 total participants. Mentoring participants came from 13 states and 2 from Canada. Mentors were mostly from academic libraries with a few from the public and private sector. Mentees came from 8 different library schools Activities Orientation The NASIG Student Mentoring Program officially commenced on June 8th, 2017 in Indianapolis, IN at the Annual NASIG Conference with a formal orientation. In addition to official members of the program there were several conference attendees who were interested in participating in future years and wanted to learn more about the program in attendance. The orientation went over details of the program, expectations for participants, tips on how to build a successful mentoring partnership, how to proceed if problems arise, NASIG resources for student members, and time for networking. Some participants were not able to attend in person, so a recording was sent to them to view on their own. Monthly Questions Following the orientation mentees & mentors were emailed monthly questions to facilitate conversations between them. The questions are optional, but provide a jumping point for mentors & mentees to start connecting. One example of a question is: “Will the skills and knowledge needed to be a librarian change significantly in the next 5-10 years? Why or why not?” Mid-Program Virtual Session On November 3, 2017 a mid-program virtual session was held for participants. It consisted of two presentations. The first was by NASIG award winners Kimberly DeRosa & Melissa Cantrell, both recent library school graduates. Kimberly & Melissa presented a toolkit for library and information studies students on the latest developments in the field and how they can develop their leadership skills. The second presentation was by Sarah Sutton, a longtime NASIG member, and assistant professor at Emporia State University on core competencies for E-Resources Librarians. Mid-Program Survey In order to assess how the program is going and help determine its future direction a survey was sent out after the virtual mid-program session. To encourage participation a $50 Amazon gift card was offered in a random prize drawing. Out of 26 participants we had 18 respondents (69% response rate). Survey results are below (Appendix A), but some highlights include: • • • • Most participants found the orientation at the beginning of the program moderately or extremely useful. The chance to meet with their mentor/mentee and having the program outlined was highlighted by participants. All participants answering the survey feel the monthly questions have been a good way to stay in contact with their mentor/mentee. Participants felt that the mid-program session was less useful than the orientation and there were some comments about the relevance of the topics & lack of interaction of the midprogram session. All participants answering the survey would recommend the mentoring program to others. Recommendations & Next Steps Based on participants feedback so far the Subcommittee recommends continuing this program, which the following changes. • Have a separate live online orientation. The recording of the in-person took over a month to get to participants who could not attend inperson. The mid-program session should be more interactive allowing mentors/mentees to connect in that environment and consider surveying the group at the beginning of the program to determine what topics they would like to hear in this session. SOC run the program instead of a Subcommittee. SOC has more committee members and can handle this workload compared to the Mentoring Group who only has 3 members and whose workload is already heavy due to hosting the First-Timer’s Reception. There would be better continuity of operations having the program under one committee, SOC. Newsletter Submitted by: Kate Moore Members Kate Moore, editor-in-chief (Indiana University Southeast) Lori Duggan, incoming editor-in-chief (Indiana University Bloomington) Nancy Hampton, advertising editor (Xavier University of Louisiana) Kurt Blythe, columns editor (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill) Rachel A. Erb, conference editor (Colorado State University) Stephanie Rosenblatt, copy editor (Cerritos College) Tina Herman Buck, copy editor (University of Central Florida) Faye O’Reilly, layout editor (Wichita State) Christian Burris, profiles editor (Wake Forest University) Gail Julian, submissions editor (Clemson University) Kelli Getz, board liaison (DePaul University) Continuing Activities The March issue is currently in production. The deadline for the CPC Update, the PPC Update, and the President’s Corner is February 1st. The deadline for columns, profiles, and other submissions is February 15th. Completed Activities Based on member feedback, the Newsletter implemented a change to publicity concerning new issues – the announcement concerning a new issue will wait until the full issue PDF has been created and the URL to the “current issue” will be updated on this page (http://www.nasig.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_ webpage_menu=311&pk_association_webpage=1160) to the full PDF. This change was implemented with the December 2017 issue. This may impact usage statistics for individual articles. Published issues • December 2017 Personnel Updates: • Lori Duggan has been appointed the incoming editor-in-chief. She will take over as editor-inchief in June 2018 (after the NASIG 2018 conference). • Tina Buck stepped down from the Newsletter editorial board after the December 2017 issue. • Jessica LaBrie has been appointed as a new copy editor. A call for this position was sent out in early January and she was selected from a very competitive pool of applicants. She will join the editorial board in mid-February. Statistical Information 113,197 Full-text downloads from bepress site (May 2010 – December 2017) 2,613 Full-Text downloads since last report (September – December 2017) Top 6 downloaded articles from the December 2017 issue (as of 1/25/18): Article Title Full Issue President's Corner CPC Update Committee Reports & Updates Executive Board Minutes: August 28, 2017 Conference Call 2017-2021 NASIG Strategic Plan Submitted on: January 25, 2018 Nominations & Elections Committee Submitted by Erika Ripley Members Erika Ripley, chair (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Stephanie Adams, vice-chair (Tennessee Tech University) Joe Badics, member (Eastern Michigan University) Molly Galey, member (University of Colorado at Denver) Bethany Greene, member (Duke University) Virginia Martin, member (Duke University) Pat Rodgers, member (Harrassowitz) Continuing Activities The committee is currently receiving candidate references; all references are due to the committee by February 2. The committee will have a conference call the following week to review the references and set the slate. Completed Activities In a November conference call, the committee reviewed all nominees received during the “Call for Nominees” period. Committee members reached out to all nominees to determine if they were willing to Statistical Information Submitted to Board via Google Form • • • • • • be screened for the office(s) for which they were nominated. In consultation with the NASIG Board liaison to the committee, the committee leadership worked to identify additional individuals who might be willing to be screened for the office of Vice President/President Elect. Through phone calls and email conversations, the committee leadership found another viable candidate for the office who was willing to be screened for Vice President/President Elect in addition to the individual’s pre-existing Member At Large nomination. The committee chair received all materials required from candidates who agreed to be screened for a NASIG office and shared them with all committee members via cloud-based committee folders. The committee chair created an online form that the committee members could use to submit their evaluations of the candidates being screened for NASIG offices. Committee members reviewed candidate materials and submitted their evaluations. In a January conference call, the committee reviewed their assessments of candidates and determined which candidates to screen for which offices. The committee discussed the past practices and committee guidelines for contacting references as the committee has some discretion in determining when references are needed. The committee decided to be consistent across all nominees for a given office. The committee chair developed an online form through which references could be submitted. Two committee members reached out to all references requesting that they use the online form to submit a reference. There are no N&E documented committee guidelines or practices that touch on diversity of the NASIG Board, including institutional or organizational diversity of the Board officers. Anecdotally, the current committee thinks that it has been past practice to build a slate of nominees with varied work experiences to better represent the full NASIG membership whenever possible. This year’s nominee pool only included a single individual not currently working in an academic library, and that individual declined to be screened for nomination. Committee discussion has raised the question of how to increase diversity in the nominee pool going forward but has not reached any conclusions. Committee discussion has also touched on the question of how to evaluate nominees for Board positions in terms of their comparative experience, either professionally or within the organization. Are longstanding NASIG members with deep committee experience inherently more suited to a Board position than relative newcomers to the organization? In different years, the then-current N&E committee may internally address these or other related questions in different ways. Does the Board feel that any committee practices concerning the development of the nominee pool or evaluation of individuals should be clarified somehow? If so, we would appreciate guidance and input on that topic. Submitted on January 26, 2018 Program Planning Committee Submitted by Violeta Ilik and Maria Collins Members Violeta Ilik, chair (Stony Brook University) Maria Collins, vice-chair (North Carolina State University) Angela Dresselhaus, board liaison (East Carolina University) Marsha Aucoin, member (EBSCO Information Services) David Burke, member (Villanova University) Chris Burris, member (Wake Forest University) Christie Degener, member (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Emily Farrell, member (De Gruyter) Mandy Hurt, member (Duke University) Gail Julian, member (Clemson University) Steve Kelley, member (Wake Forest University) Lisa Martinick, member (University of Iowa) Tom Osina, member (NonProfit Help) Apryl Price, member (Florida State University) Wendy Robertson, member (University of Iowa) Continuing Activities MOUs MOUs for vision speakers and for pre-conference speakers were completed early in the fall of 2017. MOUs for the session speakers are being prepared as we work on confirming the schedule. Speakers will be notified of basic AV provisions in the MOU (projector, Internet, mic,) etc., and any additional AV requests will be compiled and given to CPC once the MOUs are received. Sched Preliminary schedule is prepared in excel format and will be shared with the board along with this report. Call for Great Ideas Showcase and Snapshot Sessions The CFP is prepared and available to be seen by Board members at this link. We plan to send an announcement on 30th of January. Student Snapshot Session We are waiting for the relevant committee to let us know when they plan to send the call, and we plan to review proposals after they are received. Vendor Lightning Talks Please let us know when you have the information ready for us so the Program Vice-Chair can work on preparing this session. When will you have the information about all the vendors that qualify to be NASIG Newsletter March 2018 featured in this session? What is the timeline for this session to be arranged smoothly? Vision Speakers The Program Planning Committee has lined up three vision speakers for NASIG 2018 Conference and they include: Sören Auer, Lauren Smith, and Lisa Macklin. The opening vision speaker, Dr Sören Auer was just recently appointed as professor for Data Science and Digital Libraries at Leibniz University of Hannover and director of TIB German National Library of Science and Technology. Sören is co-founder of high-impact research and community projects such as the Wikipedia semantification project DBpedia, the OpenCourseWare authoring platform SlideWiki.org or the spatial data integration platform LinkedGeoData. He serves as an expert for industry, the European Commission, the W3C and board member of the Open Knowledge Foundation. On the second day of the main conference, the PPC has scheduled a talk by Lauren Smith is a Research Associate at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. She co-founded Voices for the Library, a UK-wide public libraries advocacy organization, and she is involved in the Radical Librarians Collective. Her research focuses on: political information behavior, political participation and citizenship; information/news/media/digital literacy; critical approaches to education and librarianship; social justice, access, equity and inclusion in education and information. for Emory authors to publish in eligible open-access (OA) journals and books when no alternative funding is available. Lisa will continue working with faculty advisors as the Libraries implement these and other OA initiatives. Call for Proposals The PPC had the call for proposal open for two months, from September 18, 2017 until November 15th. We received an outstanding number of proposals, 64 total and the PPC has finished reviewing the proposals and accepting 29. Session #30 in the program will feature the Dean of Libraries at Georgia State University, Jeff Steely. Pre-Conferences The PPC discussed five possible pre-conferences that will cover the topics of Linked Data, MarcEdit, EZproxy, and Serials cataloging. We have confirmed four preconferences and the current schedule is as follow: Day one: A Beginner’s Guide to MarcEdit 7 - Speaker: Terry Reese - full day Linked Data for Serials - Speakers: Amber Billey and Robert Rendall - full day Second day: Beyond “Set it and Forget it”: Proactively Managing Your EZproxy Server - Speaker: Jenny Rosenfeld - half day Introduction to Serials Cataloging with RDA - Speaker: Steven Shadle - full day The closing vision speaker will be Lisa Macklin, JD, MLS is the Director of Scholarly Communications Office, Library and Information Technology Services at Emory University. Lisa collaborated with the Library Policy Committee and the Center for Faculty Development and Excellence in Open Access Conversations at Emory. In March 2011, the Faculty Council endorsed an Open Access Policy that led to the creation of OpenEmory, a repository of Emory faculty-authored articles. In addition, an Open Access Publishing Fund was launched with OpenEmory, and provides funds to make it easier 15 NASIG Newsletter Questions for Board 1. When is the Registration deadline? 2. Can you tell us about the survey monkey account for the final evaluation of the conference that we need to update? 3. Can you confirm which day you want to have the Vendor Lightning Talks? Please advise on the coordination about the Vendor Lightning Talks. 4. Student Snapshot Sessions - Please let us know so we can plan on how best to fit everything in the schedule. 5. Do we have a NASIG Sched account or we should create the schedule from my own Sched account? Is there some payment involved with Sched that we need to be aware of? 6. We have two international speakers that will need reimbursement and hotel arrangement made directly by NASIG - who will do that? 7. Please clarify when the Program Chair and the ViceChair need to be in Atlanta. Submitted on: January 25, 2018 Standards Committee Submitted by: Mark Hemhauser Members Mark Hemhauser, Chair (University of California, Berkeley) Jennifer Combs, Vice-Chair (Kansas City Public Library) Deberah England, member (Wright State University) Beverly Geckle, member (Middle Tennessee State University) Christina Geuther, member (Kansas State University) Pat Kenney, member (Wheaton College) Jie Li, member (Academic Librarian) Corrie March, member (Old Dominion University) Fiona McNabb, member (Computercraft) Tessa Minchew, member (North Carolina State University) Emily Ray, member (University of Arkansas at Little Rock) Maria Hatfield, board liaison (W.T. Cox) Continuing Activities The Standards Committee continues to cast the official NASIG vote on the monthly NISO ballots we receive as a benefit of our membership in NISO (http://www.niso.org/standards/ballots). NASIG is currently a member of the following NISO voting pools. • • • • ANSI/NISO Z39.78 (Library Binding) ANSI/NISO Z39.88 (OpenURL Framework) ANSI/NISO Z39.43 (Standard Address Number (SAN) for the Publishing Industry) ANSI/NISO Z39.84 (Syntax for the Digital Object Identifier) The NISO voting workflow is now being managed by Christina Geuther, with Emily Ray as the back-up. At present there are three issues up for vote in January. The committee continues to review the standards and share opinions via email before votes. This committee’s work contributes to the NASIG mission to “promote [ ] the development and implementation of best practices and standards for the distribution, acquisition and longterm accessibility of information resources in all formats and business models throughout their lifecycle.” Completed Activities Christina and Emily have cast votes for 15 ballots in the latest quarter. The committee approved seven drafts and five standards, usually these are to confirm an existing standard after review. Two appointments to NISO committees were approved and one project--to set up a committee to review ISO 690, Information and documentation - Guidelines for bibliographic references and citations to information resources. Committee member Deberah England attended a NISO webinar related to authentication issues and has submitted a column for the March Newsletter summarizing the content for the NASIG membership. NASIG Student Outreach Committee Members Kimberly Lawler, chair (University of Colorado Boulder) Stephanie Miller, vice-chair (San Francisco Theological Seminary) Todd Enoch, member (University of North Texas) Celia Gavett, member (State University of New York, Buffalo) Christina Geuther, member (Kansas State University) Beth Guay, member (University of Maryland, College Park) Melissa Johnson, member (Augusta University) Megan Kilb, member (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Joyce Tenney, member (retired) Danielle Williams, member (University of Evansville) Adolfo Tarango, board liaison (University of British Columbia) Continuing Activities SOC will continue to work with PPC on the student spotlight sessions to be held at the annual conference. Currently SOC is confirming the timeline of tasks/actions for 2018 with PPC. SOC will continue to work with the Student Mentoring Subcommittee for feedback and assessment of the pilot mentoring program. SOC members and ambassadors will continue to reach out to various library and information schools on an ongoing basis to make sure they know about NASIG conference, scholarship, and mentorship opportunities. Completed Activities SOC reviewed and discussed the NASIG Strategic Plan for 2017-2021. Feedback and questions were submitted to Adolfo to give to the board. SOC members and ambassadors reached out to various library and information schools at the end of November/early December to notify them about the NASIG Annual Conference Awards for the 2018 conference, general information about NASIG, and about student membership opportunities in NASIG. Budget The budget for the SOC is $50 covering the printing of the SOC handout. The SOC handout is used at the NASIG annual meeting and other events to recruit ambassadors. Questions for the Board For treasurer – does SOC have $50 left in the budget for the creation of the SOC handout? For clarification, draft documents from 2017 indicate the student sessions at the annual conference are called snapshot sessions, however the NASIG website/timeline documentation indicates these sessions are titled spotlight sessions. What is the correct title of these student sessions at the conference? What is the amount of time allotted for each student session? In the proposal it says 10 minutes, but the NASIG website/timeline document says 5 minutes. In the recommendation to the board document of adding the student sessions to the annual conference, the first workload task says: SOC will recruit sponsors for student travel and/or accommodation to the conference. Does SOC need to do this or does this interfere with other NASIG committees doing the same work? Does SOC need to collaborate with other NASIG committees to work on this? Digital Preservation Task Force Submitted by: Shannon Keller Members Shannon Keller, chair (New York Public Library) James Phillpotts, member (Oxford University Press) Wendy Robertson, member (University of Iowa) Heather Staines, member (hypothes.is) Zach Van Stanley, member (University of Denver) Ted Westervelt, board liaison (Library of Congress) (Liz Kupke stepped down from the task force in January 2018). Most significantly, the task force is focusing on the development of three guides: 1. Digital Preservation 101 2. Guide to the Keeper’s Registry 3. Questions to ask Publisher about Digital Preservation The task force’s intention with these three documents is to make them available via the NASIG website and market them to informational professionals, especially new professionals in the field, to raise awareness regarding digital preservation initiatives. Currently, the task force has shared the draft guides with internal and external colleagues for feedback on the content. Shannon contacted the Communications Committee about using a cohesive style for the guides that includes NASIG Branding. The task force meets on Friday, February 9 to discuss the feedback received thus far, and make any changes. At this point the task force will share the guides with the Board for their feedback. The goal is to have the guides on the NASIG website in advance of the conference and to discuss them during the Panel Discussion planned for the conference. This is in direct alignment with goals outlined in strategic direction #4. Secondly, the task force is in the early stages of developing a survey, intent on seeking insight from informational professionals to help the task force focus on this section of its charge: "identify ways in which NASIG can be involved in proactive digital preservation, including tools for marketing digital preservation to a broad range of library administrations and publishers." These actions are in alignment with both strategic directions #4 and #5. We endeavor that the survey will provide insight into how NASIG can serve its members, building new and strengthening existing relationships with its commercial members, in proactive digital preservation and provide leadership to the scholarly community with regard to digital preservation initiatives through conference sessions, webinars, and documentation.


This is a preview of a remote PDF: https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1894&context=nasig

Del Williams. Committee Reports, NASIG Newsletter, 2018,