A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents
the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website
or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.
Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:
Letter to the editor
Fresenius Z Anal Chem
L e t t e r to the E d i t o r
Dear Sir 0
0 H. J. M6ckel Hahn-Meitner-InstitutBerlin GmbH , Bereicb S, Glienicker Strasse 100 D-1000 Berlin 39
We refer to our work "Separation of dihydrogenpolysulfides
(polysulfanes) using reversed-phase HPLC" [
] and the comments
given thereon by Steudel et al. (see preceding paper).
Steudel's statement that our interpretation of the observed peaks
was in error appears to be correct.
Having been the first in the field of RPLC separations of
sulphur-rich compounds [
] we were actually exposed to the
possibility of running into a misinterpretation, for which we
apologize to all collegues which might have been mislead by an
Our error was most probably caused by the observation that our
solutions, upon decay, produced only sulphur rings and no other
observable products. The dialkoxypolysulphides which we have
characterized chromatographically [
], produce also other species
when they decay. At present, we cannot explain this discrepancy.
Steudel's work came to our knowledge when our manuscript [
on dialkoxypolysulphides was already on the way.
We thank Steudel for his corrective remarks which we take
as recompense for the general knowledge about the separation of
sulphur homocycles and polysulphides he and his co-workers
obtained from us.
1. M6ckel HJ ( 1984 ) Fresenius Z Anal Chem 318 : 116
2. Hiller KO , Masloch B , M6ckel HJ ( 1976 ) Fresenius Z Anal Chem 280 : 293
3. M6ckel HJ , Masloch B ( 1976 ) Fresenius Z Anal Chem 281 : 369
4. M6ckel HJ (1979) Wiss Ergebnisbericht HMI , HMI- 319
5. M6ckel HJ , Freyholdt T ( 1980 ) In: Kaiser UJ , Franzen KH (eds) K6nigsteiner Chromatographietage . Waters, K6nigstein
6. Steudel R , M/iusle HJ, Rosenbauer D , M6ckel HJ , Freyholdt T ( 1981 ) Angew Chem 93 : 402
7. M6ckel HJ (1984) Fresenius Z Anal Chem
8. M6ckel HJ ( 1984 ) J Chromatogr 317 : 589
9. M6ckel HJ ( 1987 ) In: Giddings JC , Grushka E , Brown PR (eds) Advances in Chromatography, vol 26 . Marcel Dekker , New York, pp 1 - 6 5
10. Marquardt U , M6ckel HJ , Nelsen SF ( 1989 ) Chromatographia (in press)
11. Singer E , M6ckel HJ ( 1989 ) Chromatographia 27 : 27