March 2017 Full Issue

NASIG Newsletter, Mar 2017

A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.

Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:

http://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1819&context=nasig

March 2017 Full Issue

Election Slate Call for Volunteers Upcoming Conference News CPC Update PPC Update Profiles Scholarly Communication Core Competencies Task Force April Hathcock Columns Citations: Required Reading by NASIG Members Title Changes Executive Board Minutes October Table of Contents The board met for our winter meeting in Austin this year, in part because few of us were going to Midwinter, and in part because we didn't want to keep Betsy Appleton away from her new baby for that long! I was particularly excited about the location because I can never get enough Torchy's Tacos. Especially the barbacoa - I'm drooling just thinking about it right now. How is it past the midyear already? When I think back at how much we've done and how much we still need to do, I get simultaneously overwhelmed and excited. - Earlier this year, we asked the Evaluations & Assessment Committee to survey the current committees and see if there are structural changes we could make to improve the effectiveness of the committees, from ensuring that they have a sufficient number of members to assessing where workflows/responsibilities might overlap with other committees. We will be taking their recommendations and making adjustments accordingly over the next year, and we plan to do this committee function review in another three to five years to make sure committee responsibilities and charges don’t drift too much. overdue. Our website is our business card, and we want to make sure ours is conveying the right message. Related to this, we asked Non-Profit Help to draft a marketing action plan, and the website was among several areas covered. The board has shared the plan with the Strategic Planning Task Force so that we can cover the recommendations where that makes sense. I dream of a day when I mention NASIG to a colleague and they know exactly who we are and what we do (not just print serials)! Last June in Albuquerque, I closed the conference with a brief introduction to our idea/plan for shifting to rotating among several regional locations for the conference. The board has had many long discussions about this, stemming from our strategic planning retreat last year when we brainstormed ways to relieve the heft of the work that Conference Planning and other committees do for the organization. There are many good reasons to move in this direction, and while I have enjoyed visiting new cities every year, this is a business decision to help sustain the conference and NASIG. We need predictability for budgeting. We need to develop stable relationships with hotel staff and Convention and Visitor’s Bureau to accommodate our particular needs. Additionally, knowing we’ll be back in that location in a few years might encourage regional first-time attendees to become full-time members, regardless of whether or not they’ll be able to travel to the conference every year. After going on the site visits for an East Coast location, I am ever more aware of how hard it is to find the right place for us, and how much time, effort, and expense goes into that process. I think by settling into a handful of locations, we’ll be better able to thrive as an organization. That being said, we’re not locking ourselves into long-term contracts right away, and how this rotation plan will look and work is yet to be seen. The Site Selection Team invites feedback on whether a particular location works for us or not, and suggestions for how it might be improved. • • • • • • • • • 2017 Election Slate Patrick Carr, Chair, NASIG Nominations & Elections Committee The following individuals are slated to appear on the ballot for the 2017 NASIG election: Vice President/President-Elect (3-year term beginning 2017/18) • • Angela Dresselhaus, East Carolina University Danielle Williams, University of Evansville Treasurer (3-year term beginning 2017/18) • • Jessica Ireland, Radford University Lisa Martincik, University of Iowa Member-at-Large (3 to be elected; 2-year terms beginning 2017/18) Karen Davidson, Mississippi State University Katy DiVittorio, University of Colorado Denver Maria Hatfield, WT Cox Subscription Services Leigh Ann DePope, University of Maryland, College Park Andrew Wesolek, Clemson University Ted Westervelt, Library of Congress The Nominations & Elections Committee is also soliciting petition candidates for the 2017 election for the following open positions on the Executive Board: Vice President/President-Elect Treasurer Member-at-Large Instructions for petition candidates can be found on the NASIG website on the Elections Process page: http://www.nasig.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_w ebpage_menu=308&pk_association_webpage=1175. Petitioners must fulfill the requirements listed on the Petition Candidate Profile form and agree in writing to run for the desired office. Petition candidates must be members in good standing as noted in the NASIG Bylaws. Petition candidates will appear on the final ballot once the requirements are met. Please note that no special designation will be made on the ballot as to the status of any candidate. The PCP form and all supporting documents must be submitted to Patrick Carr, Chair, N&E Committee, no later than midnight, EST, February 26, 2017. Please address any questions to: Patrick Carr Chair NASIG Nominations & Elections Committee 2016/17 Call for Volunteers Steve Oberg, NASIG Vice-President/President-Elect NASIG members, it’s that time again! I’m asking you all to consider volunteering to serve on one of our committees. NASIG is far more than just a conference its various committees, task forces, etc. work on interesting and important tasks throughout the year. Please consider contributing your valuable time to the work of our organization. You can find more detail about what each committee does by going to the December Newsletter issue. Unless otherwise noted, committee appointments will begin immediately after the annual conference in June. To volunteer, fill out the online form. Be sure to include all relevant contact info (name, email address, etc.). Upcoming Conference News CPC Update Danielle Williams and Sue Wiegand, CPC Co-Chairs Plans are racing along to the NASIG conference in Indianapolis, IN. There will be fabulous local goodies such as a unique, Indiana-recipe fried chicken, downhome hot buttered Indiana sweet corn, and sugar cream pie. A local speaker highlighting Indiana authors (there are many!) and regional history will set the tone at the opening session, followed by a chance to ride in a street-legal Indy racecar! The speakers and topics will run the gamut of timely topics, ranging from data science in knowledge discovery to scholarly communications, with a stop along the way at the intersection of comics, young people, and libraries. The website is being updated with local information, events, activities, and more. Indianapolis is an eminently walkable city, and NASIG Indianapolis will be taking place right in the center of the action, surrounded by historical landmarks with their own stories to tell, as well as some of the finest restaurants, parks, and entertainment available anywhere—it’s easy to get around the town, and a plethora of opportunities await exploration by conference-goers. The Conference Planning Committee (CPC) continues to work on plans for the exciting June PPC Update Steve Kelley, PPC Chair & Violeta Ilik, PPC Vice-Chair The Program Planning Committee (PPC) has put together an exciting and diverse program of presentations for the upcoming conference in June in Indianapolis, IN. Program speakers have been confirmed, and, by the time this article sees publication, registration should be open, so you can check out the schedule for yourself! We are also very excited about our Vision Speakers: Michel Dumontier of Maastricht University, who will speak on the cutting edge topic of semantic publishing. April Hathcock of New York University, a leading thinker and writer in the area of diversity and inclusion in libraries. Carol Tilley of the University of Illinois at UrbanaChampaign, a renowned scholar in the field of comic books and graphic novels. Profiles Profile of the Scholarly Communication Core Competencies Task Force Christian Burris, Profiles Editor, and Andrew Wesolek, Chair of the SCCCTF [Christian Burris interviewed Andy Wesolek, the chair of the Scholarly Communications Core Competencies Task Force, via email concerning the committee’s charge and the work they’ve done on drafting the core competencies.] 2017 NASIG conference. We’ll keep you posted as plans continue to develop—we’re Racing to the Crossroads! We also will have a rich variety of preconference workshops. Topics will include: • • • Best practices for managing research data, with Cheryl Thompson of the University of Illinois Managing technical services projects, with Maria Collins and Kristen Wilson of North Carolina State University Collection assessment, with Genya O’Gara and Madeline Kelly of George Mason University Linked data, with Robert Rendall and Amber Billey of Columbia University MARCEdit (both basic and advanced), with Terry Reese of Ohio State University and Shana McDanold of Georgetown University Calls for the Great Ideas Showcase (that is, poster sessions) and the Snapshot Sessions (brief, 5 to 7 minute presentations) should have already gone out by the time this sees publication. In addition, we should have already announced our new Student Showcase Sessions, which will give our LIS student members the chance to give brief 5 to 7 minute presentations in a professional setting. Also, be on the lookout for our Vendor Lightning Talks, which will give our members from the commercial community the chance to discuss their products and services. See you in Indy! How was the task force formed? In the fall of 2014, the NASIG Executive Board developed the charge for the Core Competencies Task Force. Subsequently, the board assembled the task force, beginning with our initial chair, (William) Joseph Thomas. Joseph was instrumental in laying much of the foundation for the task force, and in fall of 2015, he asked me to continue the work of the task force as chair. Who are the other members of the Task Force? Current members include: • • • • • • • Sara Bahnmaier, University of Michigan Jason Boczar, University of South Florida Rachel Miles, Kansas State University Char Simser, Kansas State University Stephanie Spratt, Missouri Western State University Sarah Sutton, Emporia State University William Joseph Thomas, East Carolina University Previous members include: • • Julie Fielding, University of Michigan Angela Dresselhaus, East Carolina University The charge of the task force is extensive; could you describe it in your own words? The charge of the task force is extensive because the duties of the scholarly communication librarian are extensive! Indeed, negotiating this reality was one of the first challenges the task force faced. “Scholarly communication” generally refers to the process through which researchers share the results of their research with the academic community and beyond. However, the specific duties of the scholarly communication librarian may vary among institutions and may be seen at various levels of an organization. The charge of the task force then was to determine not only the core competencies for scholarly communication librarians generally, but also the various areas of emphasis in which scholarly communication librarians carry out their duties. Our hope is that our core competencies document accurately reflects the complexity of the position(s) and will be endorsed by NASIG. What has been your process so far? The task force began by creating a wiki and a Google folder for shared work. We then collected current job advertisements for scholarly communication librarians and related positions, as well as position descriptions from NASIG members and others. The task force also obtained an archive of more than 500 job announcements from the ALA Joblist, and explored continuing education opportunities for scholarly communication librarians and the few currently existing curricula and courses on the subject. After we collected this data, the task force held a number of discussions about the structure of the core competencies. As noted above, scholarly communication is a broad topic that impacts all librarians, and indeed full mastery of all of its components is beyond even the most accomplished librarian. In recognition of this, we identified common themes and areas of potential emphasis on which employers may want to focus. Have any specific considerations emerged as the committee has met? The biggest consideration was the structure of the document itself. Scholarly communication is broad and amorphous, and positions that emphasize scholarly communication may be found at a variety of levels within an organization. It was also clear to the task force that while the general term “scholarly communication librarian” or something similar was used, often times, advertisements for such positions contained one or more areas of emphasis. If someone wants to provide input to the task force, how can you be contacted? We certainly welcome your input! Interested members may contact me directly () to provide input. I will be happy to distribute it to other members of the task force. Profile of April Hathcock, Scholarly Communications Librarian at New York University and 32nd Annual NASIG Conference Vision Speaker Christian Burris, Profiles Editor Photo Courtesy of April Hathcock action have led to many appearances at both library conferences and the larger mainstream media. She’s also on Twitter, so follow @AprilHathcock for her take on a variety of issues. I conducted my interview with Ms. Hathcock by e-mail, and it was completed on February 13, 2017. You had a career as an attorney before you became an academic librarian. What led to your move toward librarianship? I realized that I was working way too hard and not for something that felt particularly worthwhile. It was really a matter of realizing that life in the corporate world just wasn’t for me. After a few years, I left corporate law practice and made the decision to return to school to get my library degree. I knew I loved research and writing and wanted to continue doing that work but in a different capacity. Librarianship just seemed like a natural next step, and it turns out, it was! As a scholarly communications librarian, how has your legal background aided your work? I use my law degree every day. In some ways, it’s very obvious: like when I’m reviewing a user license or helping someone navigate copyright issues. In other ways, it’s not as obvious but still relevant: like when I’m figuring out how to connect people and services across a very large and complex organization, like my institution. Even though I’m no longer practicing, I’m still very much using my legal background each and every day. What is an area of scholarly communications that could be an emerging trend? April Hathcock will be one of three Vision Speakers at the upcoming NASIG Annual Conference in June 2017. Ms. Hathcock is the scholarly communication librarian at New York University, and is an attorney as well as a librarian. Professionally, she has been a member of ACRL (Association of College & Research Libraries) and ALA (American Library Association), and she is an author and contributor to publications such as In the Library with the Lead Pipe as well as her own personal blog "At the Intersection." Her work on advocacy and social 6 For so long, scholarly communications has been about each institution doing its own thing in terms of publishing or digitization or open access, but I see the new wave being more about interoperability and crossinstitutional cooperation. We realize we can’t expect users to connect with our materials when they are kept locked away in our own discovery and storage systems, NASIG Newsletter March 2017 even if those materials are ostensibly marked as “open.” We are learning, and need to continue to learn, how to work together across institutions to make materials available in a meaningful way. I look at the work of DPLA (Digital Public Library of America) as a great example of where scholarly communications is headed in terms of this cross-institutional collaboration. In your opinion, what are some of the important issues facing academic libraries in 2017? To me, the top issue that should inform everything else we face in academic libraries is the diversity, or the lack thereof, and inclusion. Honestly, so many of our other issues—be they technological or collections-based or organizational or whatever else—can and will be largely improved once we really begin to make meaningful strides in increasing the diversity of our profession and creating inclusive environments for workers from underrepresented identities to thrive. Multiple viewpoints, multiple ways of knowing, multiple backgrounds and experiences—there is truly a wealth of knowledge and opportunity that we’re missing because our profession remains so homogeneous. How has social media had a role in your work? Social media, especially Twitter and my blog, have enabled me to connect with colleagues whom I may never have had the chance to meet or work with from all over the globe. It has really opened up opportunities for me to join forces with other library workers who care about social justice and the ways it informs our work. What are some of your passions, professionally and personally? I care very deeply about justice. That’s why I went to law school, and it’s a passion that continues to motivate much of my work today. And it’s a very personal, as well as professional, passion. I find that there are so many ways in which the professional and the personal are intertwined and cannot be separated, particularly for those of us from marginalized identities working in fields where we are underrepresented. On a less serious note, I am also very, very passionate about food. For now, it’s a purely personal passion; but if I could find a way to tie that into my professional work, that would make for a dream job. Columns [Note: Please report citations for publications by the membership—to include scholarship, reviews, criticism, essays, and any other published works which would benefit the membership to read. You may submit citations on behalf of yourself or other members to Kurt Blythe at . Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the author(s) before they are printed. Include contact information with submissions.] We have one significant contribution to scholarship (and the column) this quarter. Tessa Minchew, Megan Griffin Kilb, Virginia Bacon Martin, and Teddy Gray had a peer-reviewed article published in Serials Review. Martin, V., Gray, T., Kilb, M., and Minchew, T. “Analyzing Consortial “Big Deals” via a Cost-per-Cited Reference (CPCR) Metric,” Serials Review 42, issue 4 (2016 ): 293-305. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00987913.2016.1248218 Title Changes Kurt Blythe, Column Editor [Note: Please report promotions, awards, new degrees, new positions, and other significant professional milestones. You may submit items about yourself or other members to Kurt Blythe at . Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the person mentioned in the news item before they are printed. Please include your e-mail address or phone number.] We have three serious changes to report from this past quarter. In September, Katy Ginanni jumped back into the vendor world when she accepted a position as Collection Development Manager for GOBI Library Solutions from EBSCO (formerly YBP Library Services). She will be calling on academic libraries in AL, AR, LA, MS, and TN. She is still chuckling at being back on the EBSCO payroll – something she had not predicted would happen! Katy Ginanni, MLS Collection Development Manager – AR, LA, MS, AL, TN (828) 331-7499 (mobile/text) 999 Maple Street Contoocook, NH 03229 USA Virginia Bacon Martin is now Head, Continuing Resource Acquisitions Department at Duke University Libraries. And, Steve Oberg, NASIG Vice-President/PresidentElect, writes: Very recently, I accepted a new position at my library. I will oversee the largest of four organizational groups, what is called Resource Description and Digital Initiatives (RDDI). It will be on an interim basis for up to a year with the possibility for it being made permanent. My current area is already part of RDDI so this is basically a step up to a higher level of responsibility to oversee cataloging, e-resources and serials, and our digital initiatives group. In addition, I'll be focusing now on digital library-related things to a much greater degree. This covers a broad range of stuff including a digitization program, website development, library discovery tools and systems, a nascent publishing initiative, and more. Steve Oberg Assistant Professor of Library Science Electronic Resources and Serials Wheaton College (IL) +1 (630) 752-5852 NASIG Board Meeting October 11, 2016 Westin Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN Attendees Executive Board: Betsy Appleton, Carol Ann Borchert, Chris Bulock, Christian Burris, Anna Creech, Angela Dresselhaus, Kelli Getz, Michael Hanson, Laurie Kaplan, Steve Oberg, Adolfo Tarango, Kate Moore (Ex Officio) Executive Board Minutes Guests: Violeta Ilik (PPC Vice-Chair), Steve Kelley (PPC Chair), Anne McKee (Conference Coordinator), Sue Wiegand (CPC Co-Chair), Danielle Williams (CPC Co-Chair) 1. Welcome (Creech) The meeting was called to order at 9:03 am. ACTION ITEM: CMC needs to look into alternative social image sharing sites (Bulock). PPC has all three vision speakers lined up, and they are working on organizing preconferences. Additionally, the Call for Proposals is currently open. PPC is also working with SOC on creating a Student Snapshot Session. They are in the process of developing a better name for the session so that attendees can easily distinguish the Student Snapshot Session from the regular Snapshot Session. SOC has been reaching out to student ambassadors to plant the seed for the fall semester. The only feedback from the Board to PPC on the first draft of the schedule is to increase the morning breaks from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. CPC is currently investigating off-site event venues, and they are working on the creation of the 2017 conference logo. CPC is also looking into getting tickets for a baseball game. 3. Secretary’s Report (Getz) 3.1 Action Items Update The Board reviewed the outstanding action items list. New Action Items include: ACTION ITEM: Bulock will work with A&R to put on their annual checklist to send essays to the Archivist each year. ACTION ITEM: Bulock will get a list from A&R of each award and if they require an interview or an essay for the Newsletter. This information will be shared with Moore. ACTION ITEM: Getz will check with the Archivist to see if there should be another long-term image storage option since Flickr has an uncertain future. ACTION ITEM: Bulock will investigate AMO to see if there is a way to get longitudinal numbers for Hanson’s Treasurer’s reports. ACTION ITEM: Hanson will pull together items for easyto-use numbers such as the number of NASIG members, number of conference attendees, number of conference sponsors, etc. ACTION ITEM: CEC will look into the possibility of holding a regional workshop. They should reach out to regional consortia such as WRLC, PTTLC, and other areas where there is a high concentration of libraries (Appleton). ACTION ITEM: PPC, CPC, and A&R should have a designated publicity member role on their committees. Bulock, Creech, and Oberg will let their respective committees know. ACTION ITEM: PPC needs to have a separate announcement later in the year regarding a call for user groups (Oberg). ACTION ITEM: The Bylaws Committee will bring the new language for the Standards Committee to the Board and the membership for a vote. (Dresselhaus) ACTION ITEM: Moore will send out a call in the next Newsletter issue for open positions on the Newsletter staff. 3.2 Board Activity Report The annual report from CPC is missing, as well as the Fall Board Report from FPTF. VOTE: Oberg moved to approve the minutes from the 9/27 conference call. Burris seconded. The minutes were approved unanimously. 4. Treasurer’s Report (Hanson) 4.2 Year to Date Report Hanson is currently figuring out an appropriate level of operating expenses to leave in resources. Hanson will put together some reports to show the Board. Additionally, he’ll discuss this topic during the Treasurer’s Report at the conference, and he’ll try to put something together to be published in the Newsletter. ACTION ITEM: Hanson will put together some information regarding NASIG’s operating expenses to be published in an upcoming issue of the NASIG Newsletter. 5. Committee Updates (All) Archives: Nothing to report. Awards & Recognition: A&R requested Board approval to make changes to the website and to send out announcements regarding the new flat travel fee information. A&R also requested clarification from the Board on the appropriate number of student award winners and first timer award winners. The Board decided upon 4 or 5 student awards and 4 or 5 first timer awards. The Board stressed the need to send out the call for award nominations frequently and on multiple listservs, especially since the Indianapolis conference will be in close proximity to several library schools. Bylaws: Bylaws will soon send out a vote to the membership regarding changes to the bylaws to include the new Standards Committee. Also, there is a vacancy on the Bylaws Committee and it needs to appoint a new vice-chair. ACTION ITEM: Bylaws will appoint a new vice-chair to fill the recently vacated position and inform Oberg of this choice (Dresselhaus). Communications & Marketing: NASIG’s SlideShare account is seeing high usage. There have been over 27,000 views from April until midOctober. Presentations with the highest number of views could help CEC identify topics for webinars. ACTION ITEM: CMC should send along the list of presentations on the SlideShare account with the highest usage to CEC as potential webinar topics (Bulock). There was no speaker resources page for the 2016 conference telling speakers where to send their presentation slides. Many 2016 presentations were not uploaded to SlideShare. CMC and PPC need to work together to create a speaker resources page for 2017 to try to get more presentations into the SlideShare account. ACTION ITEM: CMC and PPC need to work together to create a speaker resources page for the 2017 conference. There needs to be a reminder on the page for speakers to upload their slides into SlideShare (Bulock and Oberg). ACTION ITEM: PPC needs to convey to the speakers the importance of uploading presentation slides into SlideShare during their communication with all speakers, including concurrent session speakers and vision speakers (Oberg). CMC also brought up the issue of handling vision speaker recordings. Bulock suggested creating a Dropbox account for the vision speaker recordings. There was then a discussion about finding an appropriate repository space for the vision speaker recordings. ACTION ITEM: Hanson will pay for a Dropbox account of a terabyte so that NASIG committees such as PPC, CMC, and the Archivist will be able to transfer files such as the vision speaker recordings. ACTION ITEM: CMC will create a Dropbox account. The purpose of the Dropbox account is to house the vision speaker recordings for the archivist until a repository has been established. (Bulock) ACTION ITEM: The Archivist will need to find a repository space that will allow for uploading of recordings such as the vision speaker recordings (Getz). There was a discussion around investigating ways to create human readable URLs from the NASIG website to allow for better sharing of URLs. ACTION ITEM: CMC will investigate a NASIG-branded URL for the website (Bulock). • Continuing Education: CEC raised a question about honorariums for webinar speakers. General consensus from the Board is that webinar speakers are eligible for the discounted speaker rate at the conference like concurrent session speakers. VOTE: Bulock made a motion for webinar speakers to receive the same discounted speaker rate as the concurrent session speakers when registering for the annual conference. The motion was seconded by Oberg. The motion passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Appleton will let CEC know that they need to record the names of webinar speakers throughout the year to pass along to the Registrar and Treasurer when registration opens each year. CEC will need to update their committee manual with this information, and they need to include this information in their correspondence when soliciting webinar speakers. • Database & Directory: Nothing to report. • Evaluation & Assessment: E&A distributed the committee self-evaluations and is waiting for the evaluations to be returned. • Membership Development: Renewal letters are going out regularly. There will be a brief survey for new members (excluding new student members) asking them why they joined NASIG and what they hope to get out of their membership. ACTION ITEM: D&D will get the contact information from new members who have joined in the past year, excluding new student members. They will pass the contact information along to MDC (Hanson). ACTION ITEM: MDC will run the survey questions for new members by the Board for feedback before they send out the survey (Kaplan). A non-profit organization in Africa expressed interest in becoming an organizational member of NASIG. The current NASIG organizational membership is geared towards for-profit entities. The Board is interested in creating an organizational membership tier for nonprofits. ACTION ITEM: MDC needs to develop a proposal for Board feedback regarding non-profit organizational memberships. The Board suggests that a non-profit organizational membership include memberships for 3 individuals, and the organization can select which 3 people will get the benefits each year (Kaplan). • • • Nominations & Elections: The second call for nominations went out. Mentoring: Worked with SOC on student mentoring proposal, see SOC below. Proceedings: Nothing to report. • Standards: There will be a couple of NISO ballots coming up for a vote soon. To keep track of the ballots, the Standards Committee has set up a shared Google Drive site. Geckle plans to write up a brief summary of each item up for a vote, write up the committee’s decision, present the decision to the Board, and vote. The Board also recommends that the items up for a vote are summarized and distributed to the membership for feedback. There was some discussion on the appropriate voting process for Project COUNTER. ACTION ITEM: Hanson will get more clarification from COUNTER regarding what our membership entails on the topic of voting. • Student Outreach: SOC is working on a student mentoring program with Mentoring. They are also working on developing a student snapshot session with A&R and PPC. Additionally, they are creating a more structured approach to communicate with library school ambassadors. The Board recommends that SOC come up with a schedule of regular communications (e.g. quarterly) with library school ambassadors. They need to coordinate with A&R because some communication is already occurring between A&R and library schools. ACTION ITEM: A&R and SOC need to coordinate so that the committees do not duplication communications to library schools (Oberg & Bulock) The Board reviewed the NASIG student mentoring pilot program proposal. Overall, the Board liked the proposal, and there were only a few areas where clarification was needed. Important points include: Advertising the program should be done by the Publicist to avoid duplication and to make sure that certain listservs are targeted. The name needs to be changed to clearly distinguish the student mentoring program from the conference mentoring program. SOC will likely need to create a mentoring subcommittee to work with Mentoring. The number of mentees needs to be capped, although the Board would like to see how many applications are received. Archives Task Force: Nothing to report. Digital Preservation Task Force: Nothing to report. Financial Planning: FPTF has gathered a lot of historical financial information, but they were not sure of their goals and endpoints. The Board suggested that instead of answering the questions, FPTF should bring up those points and answers in their report. It was pointed out that the strategic plan could help to answer some of the questions raised by FPTF. The Board requested a report from FPTF by the 2017 conference. Scholarly Communication Core Competencies: Nothing to report. Strategic Plan Implementation: SPITF came up with five strategic directions. The Board made a few minor suggestions. 6. Discussion of the Scholarly Communications Core Competencies Draft (All) Overall Board feedback on the SCCC draft was positive. The Board recommends releasing the draft and getting membership feedback. ACTION ITEM: SCCC will send their draft to the Publicist for distribution and feedback from the membership (Appleton). 7. Parking Lot Issues (All) There were no parking lot issues. 8. Adjourn (Creech) The meeting was adjourned at 4:46 pm. Kelli Getz, Secretary NASIG Executive Board NASIG Board Conference Call December 5th, 2016 The meeting was called to order at 3:04 pm central. 2. Discussion of Student Rate for Webinars (All) There was a discussion regarding a lower webinar rate for NASIG student members than other members. After doing some research, the Continuing Education Committee moved that the Board approve a student webinar rate of $15. Borchert seconded. A Board vote will be conducted after the conference call. 3. Conference Rate Discussion (All) The Board reviewed the conference rates from the 2016 conference. Hanson moved to accept the 2017 conference rates with no changes from the 2016 conference rates. Oberg seconded. A Board vote will be conducted after the conference call. The income level is normal for this time of the year. It is expected to increase closer to the conference. Hanson continues to work on changing the NASIG credit cards from business accounts to corporate accounts. NASIG has offered free memberships for library school students for a year. Hanson found out that it is possible to set up a second invoice profile for student members, so student membership renewals will be going out soon. Students still enrolled in library school programs will continue to get the free membership rate. Former students must renew at the regular NASIG membership rate. There was some confusion with the change last year in organizational members and sponsors. As part of the sponsorship, three members from the organization were offered complimentary membership. Hanson has been working with organizational members/sponsors to clarify issues that have arisen such as organizations selecting more than three members for complimentary membership, expiration date issues, etc. Hanson and D&D are investigating options in AMO to record member committee service in member profiles. There have been several requests for statistics about NASIG’s financials. Hanson is exploring the capabilities of AMO to see if it is possible to pull some of the information from that system. 5. Secretary’s Report (Getz) December 6, 2016: Oberg moved to approve the revision to the NASIG Code of Conduct for the conference. Dresselhaus seconded. The motion passed with ten votes in favor and one abstention. 5.1 Winter Mid-Year Report Due Date January 18th Getz announced that Winter Mid-Year Reports will be due January 18, 2017. ACTION ITEM: Board liaisons need to remind their committee chairs that Winter Mid-Year Reports are due 1/18/17. (All) 6. Committee Updates (All) Archivist: Nothing to report Awards & Recognition: A&R and SOC determined that SOC will be in charge of all communications with library schools, including distributing information regarding NASIG student awards. ACTION ITEM: A&R will review their committee page and make any updates that need to be made regarding SOC now in charge of distributing information to library schools. (Bulock) • • • • • • Bylaws: The vote on the update to the bylaws regarding the Standards Committee closes today. Communications & Marketing: They are investigating shortening NASIG website URLs. More will be discussed at the Winter Board Meeting. Conference Planning: They are working on the details of the a/v contract, which includes streaming. Continuing Education: CEC has had some questions from individuals who wanted to pay for recorded webinar access during the six-month embargo period before the webinar is available for free. ACTION ITEM: CEC and CMC will work together to investigate options for payment and access for recorded webinars during the six-month embargo period. (Appleton & Bulock) • • • Database & Directory: D&D was able to set up the 2017 dues schedule early. Evaluation & Assessment: E&A received 16 responses from committees on the committee assessment survey. They are working on going through all of the responses. Melody Dale will be assuming the chair role, and Michael Fernandez has accepted the vice-chair role. However, Fernandez will need to be reappointed to the committee in order to fill the vice-chair role. ACTION ITEM: Oberg will reappoint Michael Fernandez to E&A so that he will be able to fill the open vice-chair role. Membership Development: MDC created the new non-profit organizational membership category. They will send it to the Board so that it can be reviewed at the Winter Board Meeting. Once approved by the Board, this will go to Bylaws so that language in the bylaws can be updated to include the new non-profit organizational membership category. MDC will also survey all new non-student members to find out if new members attended a conference, what they gained from that experience, and what they would like to gain from the experience. Also, the Board is interested in whether or not new members have joined committees. If so, what motivated them to join a committee. ACTION ITEM: MDC will survey all new non-student members to find out if new members attended a conference, what they hoped to gain from the experience, and whether or not they joined a committee. (Kaplan) Mentoring: Regular conference mentoring activities will begin after the holidays. Student mentoring activities are on hold until Oberg recruits for the group. Newsletter: The December issue will be coming out soon. Nominations & Elections: N&E is moving along on schedule. Proceedings: They are only missing one paper. They are working on getting it on-time. Program Planning: The proposal deadline is approaching. Preconferences have been solidified. Site Selection: Site Selection is going well. The committee has one city visit scheduled in December and one scheduled in January. Standards: The committee is finishing up their manual and working to establish workflows for committee business. Student Outreach: They are waiting on additional members and will begin working on the student mentoring program. • • • • • • • • Archives Task Force: The task force is investigating digitizing the paper archive. Financial Planning Task Force: They are moving forward on putting together a report with future projections. Their goal is to send the report to the Board in March. Scholarly Communications Core Competencies: SCCC sent their draft to a few scholarly communications experts and are waiting on feedback. The Board recommends that the completed draft go to the membership once the next round of changes are incorporated into the document. Strategic Plan Implementation Task Force: They are in the process of getting a survey created to send out to the membership. 7. Adjourn (Creech) The meeting adjourned at 4:18 pm central. Minutes submitted by: Kelli Getz Secretary, NASIG Executive Board Current Balance Sheet Committee Expenditures 2016 NASIG Treasurer’s Report January 2017 Report Michael Hanson, Treasurer NASIG Committee Site Selection Standards Student Outreach Treasurer Digital Preservation TF Financial Planning TF SC Core Comp TF Strategic Planning TF Total N/A $350.00 $100.00 N/A $96,550.00 Committee Updates & Reports Continuing Activities The Photo Historians, Archivist, and Archivist-in-training continue slowly to cull photos from Yahoo and Flickr to transfer to the Archives and to upload to the NASIG website. It will need to be decided among the Photo Historians, Archivist and Archivist-in-training who will take group pictures (Award Winners, Board, Committees and AllTimers) at the conference in Indianapolis. The NASIG Flickr account is open for anyone to add pictures. The Archivist will send the details of the Flickr account to the publicist for posting to NASIG-L before the annual meeting. Completed Activities Updated most timelines on the NASIG History webpages (a couple to be completed yet). The Archivist prepared and transmitted records to the University of Illinois Archives. Only digital files were deposited via upload and thumb drives. No paper files were submitted. Budget The deposit account at UIUC currently has $350, which is sufficient for now. This will probably carry us through the next year. Awards and Recognition Submitted by: Mary Bailey Mary Bailey, chair (Kansas State University) Delphia Williams, vice chair (California State University – Northridge) Lori Duggan, member (Indiana University) Karen Ross, member (ProQuest) Tiffany LeMaistre, member (Nevada State College) Jennifer Leffler, member (University of Northern Colorado) Elaine McCracken, member (University of California – Santa Barbara) Ted Westervelt, member (Library of Congress) Joe Hinger, Mexican Student award liaison (St. John’s University) Chris Bulock, board liaison (California State University - Northridge) Continuing Activities Currently the chair and vice chair are fielding questions about awards. Applications are arriving. Completed Activities Mary Bailey updated award pages with new contacts and dates. Information about the Student Spotlight Session was added for each student award. Changes were also made about the monetary amount the awards will cover. Information for announcements was sent to the Publicist, the Student Outreach Committee and CMC. Budget BUDGET Category - A&R Brandon's plaques Conference calls Hotel nights Monetary awards Postage/shipping Travel Other TOTAL Submitted on: January 12, 2017 Bylaws Committee Submitted by: Kate Seago Members Kate Seago, chair (University of Kentucky) [open], vice-chair Maria Hatfield, member (WT Cox Information Services) Sofia Slutskaya, member (Georgia Tech Library) Tessa Minchew, member (North Carolina State University) Angela Dresselhaus, board liaison (East Carolina University) Continuing Activities No continuing activities at this point Completed Activities The Bylaws Committee finalized the changes in wording in Article VI. Committees Section 3 Terms of Office to add the Standards Committee into this section. The changes were approved by the Board and sent to the NASIG members for a vote held in November/December 2016. The results were Yes 79 and NO 1, so the Bylaws were updated. Budget None at this time. Most of the committee’s work can be handled via email. No actions required by the Board except for regular reports. Questions for Board Ongoing question for the Board would be handling the open position of vice-chair. Submitted on: January 13, 2017 Communications and Marketing Submitted by David Macaulay and Jessica Ireland Members Jessica Ireland, co-chair (Radford University) [Listmanager] David Macaulay, co-chair (University of Wyoming) [Webspinner] Melissa Higgins, vice co-chair (University of Colorado Denver) [Webspinner] Charles Mcelroy, vice co-chair (Florida State University) [Listmanager] Beth Ashmore, SERIALST Moderator (Samford University) Leigh Ann DePope, Publicist (University of Maryland College Park) Eugenia Beh, Publicist-in-Training (MIT) Michael Fernandez, member (American University) Smita Joshipura, member (Arizona State University) Melissa Randall, member (Clemson University) Paoshan Yue, member (University of Nevada, Reno) Chris Bulock, board liaison (California State University, Northridge) Continuing Activities Committee members are rotating regular duties (blog, jobs blog, spam filter and SERIALST monitoring). Committee is updating documentation in the CMC wiki. Publicist consults with and sends announcements from committee chairs or the board as requested to external lists. Publicist schedules tweets and re-tweets of items of interest, including events (with repeated reminders of deadlines), availability of presentations, proceedings, etc.; advertises the Jobs Blog; and scans the Newsletter for individual items to highlight; posts items of interest to Facebook and/or LinkedIn. SERIALST Manager approves posts, collects posts for weekly commercial digest, and assists list members with subscription issues. Completed Activities • • • • • • Investigated options for implementing custom URLs for webpages at nasig.org, at the request of the Board. Assisted Standards committee with implementation of a members-only page for soliciting comments on proposed standards. Implemented a number of additions and enhancements to webpages, forms, and documents at the request of the Board and various committees. Budget No changes requested at this time to the previously submitted budget. Conference calls Contracted services aBnede.lNisettse($rv5s0)0 per month – email $6,000.00 ArcStone (NASIG website and association management - $300 per month + contingency amount $5,050.00 of $1450 for 10 hours of programming if needed) SERIALST maintenance $8,000.00 Survey Monkey (online surveys) $204.00 SplriedseeSnhtaarteioPnrso) (conference $114.00 UKSG Newsletter $750.00 nGaosoigg.loerCguwsteobmsitSeearch for $100.00 Contingency TOTAL NASIG-L • NASIG has 33 listservs. • NASIG has 27 active @nasig.org email addresses. • As of 1/16/2017, there are 815 subscribed members to NASIG-L and 103 unsubscribed members. SlideShare • As of 1/17/2017, 200 presentations/posters are available on the NASIG SlideShare channel. • As of 1/17/2017, NASIG on SlideShare has 96 followers. Views • September 18, 2016 - January 16, 2017 – 9,810 • Total (since March 2012) – 59,934 Top Content (Views) (September 18, 2016 – January 16, 2016) 1. The impact of reorganization on staff: using the core competencies as a framework for staff training and development (530) 2. Why the Internet is more attractive than the library (349) 3. Discovering music: small-scale, web-scale, facets, and beyond (253) 4. Scholarly video journals to increase productivity in research and education (205) 5. Managing discovery and linking services (156) Blog (September 2016 – January 17, 2017) • NASIG Blog views – 2,898 • Jobs Blog views – 4,160 Website Sessions (Google Analytics) (September 21, 2016 - January 17, 2017) September 21-20, 2017 711 January 1-16 2016 Total 2,198 2,453 2,027 1,589 8,978 Top Ten Landing Pages (Google Analytics) - September 21, 2016 - January 16, 2017 www.nasig.org and /site_home.cfm /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=700 and /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=700&pk_association_webpage=1228 (both go to page for Annual Conference) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=308&pk_association_webpage=1178 (Grants, Awards, and Scholarships) /site_signin.cfm (Site login page) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=310&pk_association_webpage=1225 (Core Competencies) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=310&pk_association_webpage=7802 (Core Competencies for E-Resources Librarians) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=308&pk_association_webpage=186 (Vision & Mission) /site_member_home.cfm (Member Center) /site_member_directory.cfm (Member Directory) 5,927 1,603 1,431 1,167 1,063 902 827 503 473 423 Facebook As of 1/17/2017, NASIG on FB has 373 members. LinkedIn As of 1/17/2017, NASIG on LinkedIn has 448 members. SERIALST • 2,395 subscribers (as of 1/11/2017) • 382 messages sent to subscribers from September 2016-January 2017. Submitted on: 1/18/2017 Conference Planning Committee Submitted by Danielle Williams and Sue Wiegand Members Danielle Williams (University of Evansville) Sue Wiegand (Saint Mary’s College) Stephanie Adams (Tennessee Technological University) Stacy Baggett (Shenandoah University) Sheree Crosby (Cabell’s International) Iris Garcia (UCLA School of Law) Beverly Geckle (Middle Tennessee State University) Richard Guajardo (University of Houston) Julia Hess (University of San Diego) Betsy Hughes (Abbott) Marsha Seamans (University of Kentucky) Anna Creech, board liaison (University of Richmond) Continuing Activities Downtown Indianapolis is a friendly, walkable area filled with shops and restaurants. It’s a beautiful location and we can promise everyone will have a wonderful time. The Weston at downtown Indianapolis is a beautiful facility and the staff has been a dream to work with. The committee has been working with the staff to get meeting rooms and meals set up and everything should be finalized in no time. We are working to finalize the opening reception, which will be held at the Dallara IndyCar Interactive facility. There will be several opportunities for hands-on Indy Car experiences, some that require an additional cost at registration. Catering will be delicious food native to Indiana, and, of course, a cash bar. We’ve also been working to secure a block of seats for the Indianapolis Indians game on June 10. Tickets will be available for another add on cost at registration. We are working with Tom Osina to get bids from AV companies, some of which will provide streaming of vision sessions. The conference web site is bare for now, but more content and information is being added on a regular basis. The fun-run, dine-arounds, and souvenirs are moving along and we should have an opening session speaker finalized soon. Betsy Hughes has begun working on the conference website. More information will be added soon. Completed Activities Sue and Danielle met with the board in October at the Westin and met with the hotel staff. Meeting rooms and menus were discussed and will be finalized in the coming months. 22 Respectfully submitted on: January 18, 2017 Conference Proceedings Submitted by: Angela Dresselhaus Budget $190,000 Angela Dresselhaus, production editor, board liaison (East Carolina University) Leigh Ann DePope, production assistant (University of Maryland) Lila A. Ohler, editor (University of Maryland) Kristen Wilson, editor (North Carolina State University) 2016 Proceedings • NASIG Proceedings is moving to iFirst, a program that will publish electronic articles as they become available • Editing of submitted papers is wrapping up • Working with authors to improve quality of papers is wrapping up • Compiling front and back matter • Training of new editors continues Completed Activities 2016 Proceedings • Production Schedule is set • 6 papers have been uploaded to CATS • Two conference calls were held to discuss editing workflow • A Trello board was setup to improve workflow management • All but one paper was received as of 1-17-17, editors assigned No budget requests for this FY. Submitted on: January 18, 2017 Continuing Education Submitted by: Kevin Balster Kevin Balster, co-chair (UCLA) Adele Fitzgerald, co-chair (St. Joseph’s College New York) Barbara Albee, vice co-chair (EBSCO Information Services) Xiaoyan Song, vice co-chair (North Carolina State University) Rachel Becker, member (University of Wisconsin) David Bynog, member (Rice University) Amanda Echterling, member (Virginia Commonwealth University) Mandy Hurt, member (Duke University Libraries) Rachel Miles, member (Kansas State University) Catherine Nelson, member (University of California, Santa Barbara) Shoko Tokoro, member (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) Lori Terrill, member (University of Wyoming) Betsy Appleton, board liaison (St. Edward’s University) Continuing Activities In 2015/2016, CEC recommended offering NASIG member registration rates for non-members whose institutions are NISO members. We are continuing to investigate how to implement this since currently the only way to get the NASIG member rate is to register for the webinar while logged into the NASIG site. Related to the above, we are also investigating how to create a student registration category in AMO. CEC had initial discussions with ALCTS about partnering on webinars. Further discussions to follow in the future. Working with board liaison on how to handle potential webinar presenters interested in fee for presenting. Working on setting up Spring/Summer webinars with candidate presenters. Completed Activities • • • • Hosted webinar on October 20, 2016 titled “An Introduction to COUNTER for Librarians” with 58 attendees. As directed by the Board, CEC agreed on creating a student member rate for webinars. Once a student registration rate is created (see continuing activities above), we will include a listing for the student rate in webinar announcements, and also include language directing students to NASIG’s free student membership in order to get the student webinar rate. Served as intermediary for request for NASIG sponsorship of the North Carolina Serials Conference. Confirmed speakers for March 16 webinar. Implemented new policy of allowing webinar presenters to register for the NASIG Annual Conference at the speaker rate. Identified several candidate presenters for Spring/Summer webinars. Budget Not applicable. Submitted on: January 18, 2017 Database & Directory Committee Submitted by Kathryn Wesley Members Kathryn Wesley, chair (Clemson University) Rebecca Culbertson, vice-chair (University of California, San Diego) Char Simser, member (Kansas State University) Stephanie Spratt, member (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Michael Hanson, board liaison (Sam Houston State University) Continuing Activities Membership Reports • Sending new member reports monthly to Membership Development Committee (MDC), Communication and Marketing Committee (CMC), and Newsletter. Sending edited reports (names and emails only) of new members to NISO contacts. • Sending non-renewing member reports monthly to Membership Development. • Deactivating members who have not renewed two months past last expiration, and sending those reports to CMC for removal from NASIG-L. D&D Manual Revision Char Simser has completed a first draft of revising the D&D manual. Completed Activities At the request of the board, sent a report to Membership Development of all members who joined within the last year. Board Questions about AMO: At the fall board meeting, the board asked D&D to investigate a number of issues having to do with AMO capabilities. Library student memberships: It is possible to send out a specific automated renewal notice to a specific member type. There is not a way within AMO to determine whether a student has graduated from library school See below for more under Questions for the Board. Recording member volunteer activities: This can be done in AMO Member Management in a function called Categories (see figure 1 below). Existing volunteer categories include chair, co-chair, committee member, conference coordinator, Executive Board member at large, Executive Board officer, etc. While there is a free-text description field where specifics could be recorded, it does not display in the member record, nor is it searchable (see figures 2 and 3 below). We think we can work around this by creating chair, vice chair, and member records for each NASIG committee, and any other position required. For example, chair – Database & Directory Committee, vice chair – Database & Directory Committee, etc. This would result in a long list of categories, but we think it can work. This seems like a natural task for D&D to take on, both the creation of the categories, and adding them to member records every year. D&D already is responsible for updating the committee membership check boxes at the beginning of the year. See more below under Student rates for webinars: It is not possible to set different rates for different member types, but there is a way to apply a discount called a promotion code. The code is entered by the registrant in the process of registering for the webinar and a set discount is applied to the registration price. The promotion code would be set up in the process of creating the registration site for the webinar, so presumably it would be the bailiwick of the Continuing Education Committee (CEC). It is possible to send out a broadcast email (blast) by member type, so CEC could do that when advertising the webinar, and include the library student promotion code in the email message. If needed, D&D or CMC could assist with this. No expenses anticipated. Statistical Information Member numbers as of January 19, 2017: • Individual Total – 1011 • Regular – 505 • Organizational – 44 (individuals associated with organizations) • Lifetime – 1 • Library school student – 457 • Complimentary – 4 • Organizations - 17 Questions for Board Should D&D proceed with 2017 library student memberships? If so, we will need to work with CMC and AMO to get library student renewal messages ready to send out. Also, do you want D&D to suggest text for the renewal message? Recommendations to Board If the board decides to continue with free library student memberships, and since we cannot determine when a student graduates, we could either (1) go with the honor system, and trust that members will not abuse it; or (2) limit the number of times a member could join using it. I do not think there is an automated way to do this. We need to tweak the way we handle individuals who are members via organizational sponsorship/membership. They should not have individual renewal notices sent to them. Frankly, I have not had time to look into how this might be best handled. Will do so and come back with something concrete. 25 Evaluation and Assessment Submitted by Derek Marshall Members Derek Marshall, chair (2016) (Mississippi State University) Melody Dale, vice-chair (2016) (Mississippi State University) Clinton Chamberlain, member (Dallas County Community College) Deberah England, member (Wright State University) Michael Fernandez, member (American University) Kathryn Johns-Masten, member (SUNY Oswego) Trina Nolen, member (Lamar University) Adolfo Tarango, board liaison (University of British Columbia) Continuing Activities Review the Committee Manual, Committee Webpage, and NASIG Working Calendar for possible updating. The NASIG Board requested the Evaluation and Assessment Committee to conduct a survey of all current committees as well as past committee chairs/co-chairs. The survey was meant to ascertain the effectiveness of the committees and if the committees’ charges are being met. The survey ended on November 18, 2016. Sixteen total responses were gathered. Evaluation of the results are currently underway. Completed Activities The Committee received 16 requests for individual conference evaluation results, all of which were sent out by July. In July, a final report of the conference evaluation results were provided for the NASIG Newsletter. A separate confidential report with a link to the raw survey data was sent to the Executive Board in October. In January 2016, Melody Dale will assume the position of chair. Michael Fernandez will assume the position of vice-chair. Revision of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee manual is currently underway. $50 for Amazon gift card for conference evaluation drawing Submitted on: November 28, 2016 Membership Development Committee Submitted by: Rachel Erb Rachel Erb, chair (Colorado State University) Alice Rhoades, vice-chair (Rice University) Pat Adams (YBP Library Services) Bob Boissy (Springer Nature) Stephanie Bernard (Robert Woodruff Library - Atlanta University Center) Alejandra Nann (University of San Diego) Christine Radcliff (Texas A&M University-Kingsville) Laurie Kaplan, board liaison (ProQuest) Continuing Activities New members welcome letter/non-renewals reminder letter. Email is sent monthly to new members who joined NASIG or members who have not renewed membership. The committee is fine with the suggestions from the Board regarding the non-profit member category. Brief survey for incoming members: ideas for questions to ask were received from the Board; will be discussed at the January meeting Meeting for January rescheduled to later this month. We are up to date in sending welcome and nonrenewal letters. Committee members volunteered to send these letters in specific months throughout the year. Budget Requesting $100 for conference calls. Action(s) Required by Board Send draft of the completed incoming member survey Questions for Board What are the next steps for the non-profit member category? Do we send it to By-Laws to see if changes need to be made? And when do we update the membership brochure? Submitted on: January 12, 2017 Mentoring Committee Submitted by Sandy Folsom Members Sandy Folsom, chair (Central Michigan University) Trina Holloway, vice-chair (Georgia State University) Rachel Lundberg (Duke University) Adolfo Tarango, board liaison (University of British Columbia) Continuing Activities The Mentoring Group is continuing to work as part of an ad hoc group that is organizing the NASIG Student Mentoring Program. A group conference call is planned for January 20. Topics to be discussed include webpage and email address for the program, planning for the orientation, and the call for mentors. Folsom is drafting the call for mentors. The committee is also beginning to gear up the Conference Mentoring Program. We are reviewing the Guidelines for Mentors and Mentees and will be reviewing and updating other committee documentation. Completed Activities In their fall meeting, the Executive Board approved the Mentoring Group/Student Outreach Committee proposal for the NASIG Student Mentoring Program. Organizational conference calls were held in November and December. A group was formed to develop the program. It consists of the Mentoring Group and some members of the Student Outreach Committee. No funds were expended during this quarter. Submitted on: January 17, 2017 Newsletter Submitted by: Kate Moore Kate Moore, editor-in-chief (Indiana University Southeast) Nancy Hampton, advertising editor (Xavier University of Louisiana) Kurt Blythe, columns editor (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill) Rachel A. Erb, conference editor (Colorado State University) Stephanie Rosenblatt, copy editor (Cerritos College) Tina Herman Buck, copy editor (University of Central Florida) Faye O’Reilly, layout editor (Wichita State) Christian Burris, profiles editor (Wake Forest University) Gail Julian, submissions editor (Clemson University) Christian Burris, board liaison (Wake Forest University) Continuing Activities The March issue is currently in production. The deadline for the CPC Update, the PPC Update, and the President’s Corner is February 1st. The deadline for columns, profiles, and other submissions is February 15th. The full PDF issue of December 2016 is in production. Published issues • December 2016 • The full PDF issues of September 2015 and September 2016 have been published. Personnel Updates Faye O’Reilly took over as Layout Editor for the September 2016 issue. • 105,409 Total full-text downloads from bepress site (May 2010 – December 2016) • 9,089 Full-Text downloads for 2016 (January – December 2016) • 4,451 Full-text downloads since last report (September – December 2016). Top 5 downloaded articles from the December 2016 issue: Article Title Text Mining 101: What You Should Know President's Corner Checking In Committee Reports & Updates CPC Update NISO-NASIG Webinar: How Librarians Use, Implement and Can Support Researcher Identifiers Downloads 106 65 55 52 48 48 Top 5 downloaded articles from the September 2016 issue: Article Title 2016 Conference Reports 2016 Conference Evaluation Report The Role of Choice in the Future of Discovery Evaluations: ER&L Report 2016 President's Corner Checking In CPC Update Top 5 downloaded articles from the May 2016 issue: Article Title 2016 Election Results Checking In Title Changes CPC Update President's Corner Top 5 downloaded articles from the March 2016 issue: Article Title NASIG Webinar: Troubleshooting Electronic Resources with ILL Data 89 CPC Update 76 President's Corner 73 2016 Election Slate 67 January 2016 Committee Reports/Updates 66 Submitted on: January 11, 2017 Nominations & Elections Committee Submitted by: Patrick Carr Patrick Carr, chair (University of Connecticut) Erika Ripley, vice-chair (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Joe Badics (Eastern Michigan University) Eleanor Cook (East Carolina University) Marcella Lesher (St. Mary's University) 28 64 62 60 60 Downloads Buddy Pennington (University of Missouri--Kansas City) Marsha Seamans (University of Kentucky) Laurie Kaplan, board liaison (ProQuest) The committee is currently receiving candidate references. The references are due to the committee by January 22. The committee has a conference call scheduled for January 30 to review the references and set the slate. • In a November conference call, the committee reviewed all nominees received during the “Call for Nominees” period. • Committee members reached out to all nominees to enquire whether they were willing to be screened for the office(s) for which they were nominated. • In consultation with the NASIG Board liaison to the committee, the committee leadership worked to address a dilemma in which all individuals nominated for the office of Vice President/President Elect declined to be screened. Through numerous phone calls and email conversations, the committee leadership was ultimately able to find two viable candidates for the office who were willing to be screened. • The committee chair received all materials required from candidates who agreed to be screened for a NASIG office. He then uploaded these materials onto a secure web space and shared them with all committee members. • The committee chair developed an online form that the committee members could use to submit their evaluations of the candidates being screened for NASIG offices. • Committee members reviewed candidate materials and submitted their evaluations. • In a January conference call, the committee reviewed their assessments of candidates and determined which candidates to check references for. • The committee chair developed an online form through which references could be submitted. • A committee member reached out to all references requesting that they use the online form to submit a reference. • Made minor revisions and updates to the N&E committee manual. Submitted on: January 18, 2017 Program Planning Committee Submitted by: Steve Kelley & Violeta Ilik Steve Kelley, chair (Wake Forest University) Violeta Ilik, vice-chair (Northwestern University) Marsha Aucoin, member (EBSCO Information Services) David Burke, member (Villanova University) Maria Collins, member (North Carolina State University) Christie Degener, member (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Emily Farrell, member (De Gruyter) Gail Julian, member (Clemson University) Betty Landesman, member (none) Corrie Marsh, ex officio (Old Dominion University) Lisa Martincik, member (University of Iowa) Apryl Price, member (Florida State University) Wendy Robertson, member (University of Iowa) Steve Oberg, board liaison (Wheaton College) Continuing Activities although the presenter will be asked to re-submit the proposal for the Great Ideas Showcase. With the exception of several proposals that were actually for commercial presentations, all of the rejected proposal presenters will be asked to consider submitting a proposal for the Great Ideas Showcase or the Snapshot Sessions. PPC will begin notifying potential presenters about their proposals very soon (perhaps before this report is even received). All proposal submissions and PPC rankings are attached. Conference Schedule: The basic conference schedule is attached. After the presenters confirm their accepted proposals, PPC will assign specific program slots. Vision Speakers: All Vision Speakers have returned completed MOUs. Preconferences: All but one of the Preconference speakers have returned completed MOUs. • Wednesday, June 7, 8AM to Noon – Workshop on research data management, Cheryl Thompson • Wednesday, June 7, 8AM to 5PM – Workshop on MARCEdit (Basic), Shana McDanold and Terry Reese • Wednesday, June 7, 1PM to 5PM – Workshop on technical services project planning – Maria Collins and Kristen Wilson • Thursday, June 8, 8AM to Noon – Workshop on MARCEdit (Advanced), Shana McDanold and Terry Reese • Thursday, June 8, 8AM to Noon – Workshop on BIBFRAME & linked data, Robert Rendall and Amber Billey • Date and Time TBD – Workshop on collection assessment, Genya O’Gara and Madeline Kelly Great Ideas Showcase & Snapshot Sessions: The calls for the Great Ideas Showcase, Snapshot Sessions, and the new Student Spotlight Sessions will go out in February using Survey Monkey. Proposal Review: The committee has finished reviewing and ranking the 50 proposals that were submitted. Thirty proposals were accepted by the committee during a conference call on January 10th. One proposal that was submitted was actually for a poster session (Great Ideas Showcase) and was rejected as a program, 29 NASIG Newsletter Site Selection 2018 Submitted by: Anna Creech Anne E. McKee, Conference Coordinator (GWLA) Anna Creech, President (University of Richmond) Steve Oberg, VP/Pres-elect (Wheaton College) We have visited both cities that had multiple responses to the RFP and are quite pleased with our options in both. We do not think we need to extend the search to additional locations. We will be making a recommendation to the Board for their approval at or before the Winter meeting. Once we receive the Board’s approval, the Conference Coordinator will begin contract negotiations with the selected location. Completed Activities Visited both city’s hotels and identified several locations for an off-site event in both cities. Will get an updated expenditure total from the Treasurer as soon as everything from the second trip has been accounted for. Estimated $2,500. Action(s) Required by Board Approval of the recommendations that will be sent separately. Submitted on: January 24, 2017 Standards Committee Submitted by: Tessa Minchew Mark Hemhauser, vice chair (University of California, Berkeley) Jennifer Combs, member (Kansas City Public Library) Deberah England, member (Wright State University) Beverly Geckle, member (Middle Tennessee State University) Christina Geuther, member (Kansas State University) Maria Hatfield, member (WT Cox Information Services) Jie Li, member (Morgan State University) Corrie Marsh, member (Old Dominion University) Emily Ray, member (University of Arkansas, Little Rock) Angela Dresselhaus, board liaison (East Carolina University) At present, the majority of the Standards Committee’s work revolves around the monthly NISO ballots (http://www.niso.org/standards/ballots) on which we vote on behalf of NASIG and its membership. Our internal NISO voting process has been largely established, though the learning curve on the individual ballots keeps us on our toes. Ballots are monthly and vary in number. Prior to casting our official vote, input is solicited from the NASIG membership via a post to NASIG-L which links to a password-protected page on the NASIG website that contains the ballots and their supporting documentation. (NASIG membership has been notified of this procedure via a direct email, reminded that they will have to be subscribed to NASIGL to receive notifications of NISO ballot information, and given instructions on subscribing to the listserv, in case they are no longer subscribed.) The committee is also conducting further investigations into COUNTER (https://www.projectcounter.org), with whom we have an organizational membership. At first glance, it appears that our COUNTER membership will be far less active than NISO, but the committee is still keeping an eye out for opportunities for NASIG involvement. Members Tessa Minchew, chair (North Carolina State University) In addition to our partnerships with NISO and COUNTER, the committee is looking for other areas in which NASIG can become more active in standards NASIG Newsletter March 2017 Submitted on: January 9, 2017 Student Outreach Committee Mid-Year Report work, and for other avenues in which the committee can communicate with and encourage participation from the NASIG membership. Questions and comments are always welcome and can be directed to the committee at . Now five months into its existence, the committee has finished establishing its internal structure, workflows, and documentation. The committee manual and working calendar have been made publicly available on the Standards Committee webpage at https://goo.gl/R17nqq. When we joined NISO, NASIG agreed to be a member of the voting pools for ballots related to ANSI/NISO Z39.78 (Library Binding) and ANSI/NISO Z39.88 (OpenURL Framework). In early December, the Standard Committee also agreed to join the voting pools for ANSI/NISO Z39.43 (Standard Address Number (SAN) for the Publishing Industry) and ANSI/NISO Z39.84 (Syntax for the Digital Object Identifier). These latter two voting pools were not balanced in terms of suppliers, users, and general interest organizations. NASIG’s joining as a general interest organization helps the processes move forward by achieving the pool balance NISO needs to open ballots in these areas. In addition to signing on to new voting pools, the committee has also nominated Maria Hatfield to serve on the ISSN Revision Working Group at the invitation of Regina Reynolds (ISSN Section, LoC). Maria brings a wealth of relevant experience and a valuable non-librarian perspective to the group. The committee has established that our partnership with COUNTER does not require us to select an official representative, but we have nominated a committee member, Emily Ray, to serve as our unofficial representative. Emily will stay apprised of COUNTER activities and report back to the committee, offering recommendations on any action we might need to take or communication we might need to have with the NASIG membership. $200.00 Members Katy DiVittorio, chair (University of Colorado Denver), 16/17 Todd Enoch, vice-chair (University of North Texas), 16/17 Kimberly DeRosa, member (University of Colorado Denver), 16/18 Christina Geuther, member (Kansas State University), 15/17 Beth Guay, member (University of Maryland, College Park), 15/17 Melissa Johnson, member (Georgia Regents University), 15/17 Stephanie Miller, member (San Francisco Theological Seminary), 16/18 Heylicken (Hayley) Moreno, member (University of Houston), 15/17 Shannon Regan, member (New York Public Library), 15/17 Completed Activities The SOC members and ambassadors reached out to various library and information schools in November 2016 & January 2017 about the NASIG conference and scholarship opportunities. Continuing Activities The SOC members and ambassadors will continue to reach out to various library and information schools on an ongoing basis to make sure they know about the NASIG conference and scholarship opportunities. SOC continues to recruit new ambassadors which will make connections with individual library schools. Formal Mentoring Program: A Student Outreach Subcommittee was formed to work with the Mentoring Group on the Student Mentoring Program pilot. Membership of the new Subcommittee is below. The two groups have held several conference calls and are currently working on creating the mentoring website, call for mentees/mentors, orientation and program details. We anticipate the website will be up the end of January or early February. The first call for mentors is anticipated to go out early February after the website is complete. SOC Mentoring Subcommittee: • Katy DiVittorio • Kimberly DeRosa • Stephanie Miller • Shannon Regan Student Snapshot Sessions: A&R, PPS & SOC are collaborating on Student Spotlight Sessions during the 2017 Conference. Shannon Regan from SOC is leading this project for our group. Current library school students will be invited to submit a spotlight session proposal, for a ten minute presentation at the NASIG conference. Student award winners will be offered the chance to present first. The call for the Student Spotlight Sessions has been drafted. An open call for proposals from students will go out if not enough of the award winners wish to present. The session topics would not be limited in subject, and students could present on their thesis topics, final projects, interesting class projects, or other individual and group ideas that are central to the NASIG mission. SOC will work with the ambassadors to distribute information regarding the awards, and to highlight any funding that library schools may provide for students that participate in a conference program. At the suggestion from the Board SOC is creating a template for welcoming new Ambassadors to provide a more consistent message. This is being led by Todd Enoch, Vice-Chair of SOC. This will include a schedule of times when ambassadors should be in touch with their assigned library schools. The template is anticipated to be completed within the next month. SOC hopes to investigate within the next year the idea of creating student groups like ones within ALA & SLA to further engage student members. The budget for SOC is $100 covering the printing of SOC ambassador handouts for recruitment or for mentoring orientation documents. Submitted on: January 17, 2017 Archives Task Force Submitted by: Sara Bahnmaier Sara Bahnmaier, co-chair (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor) Peter Whiting, co-chair (University of Southern Indiana) Eleanor Cook, member (East Carolina University) Carol Ann Borchert, board liaison (University of South Florida) Conference calls: The Archives Task Force held monthly conference calls in October and November. Charge to investigate moving & digitizing the archives: Our goal is to investigate digital archiving services at the current location, UIUC. We will compare this option with the costs and effort required to start and maintain a repository site of our own using a service like Digital Commons or the like. The task force is planning a conference call with the UIUC Archivist in February, 2017. Videos: Interviews have been posted on the NASIG Conferences YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVvnh_CzXS8Ygft uvIypTiQ As part of our final report, the task force will estimate expenses for digitization of paper archives. Submitted on: January 19, 2017 Digital Preservation Task Force Submitted by: Wendy Robertson Wendy Robertson, chair (University of Iowa) Liz Kupke, member (St. John's College) Shannon Regan, member (New York Public Library) Zach Van Stanley, member (University of Denver) Ted Westervelt, member (Library of Congress) Christian Burris, board liaison (Wake Forest University) Continuing Activities The group has done nothing. Completed Activities None $200 for conference calls Submitted on January 19, 2017 Financial Planning Task Force Submitted by: Peter Whiting and Susan Davis Susan Davis, co-chair (State University of New York, Buffalo), 16/17 Peter Whiting, co-chair (University of Southern Indiana), 16/17 Virginia Martin (Duke University), 16/17 Michael Hanson, board liaison (Sam Houston State University), 16/17 The task force is looking at what other conferences are charging and what it costs to offer webinars to learn what an appropriate sponsor level might need to be to cover the costs. We are also going to look at NASIG fiscal data points that the NASIG Treasurer has gathered. The data points include: • Membership numbers • Membership dues income o Regular o Organizations o Non-Profit • Conference attendance • Conference income • Webinar income • Other Income • Proceedings income • Investment Income • Expenses o Operating o Sponsoring activities with other organizations o Conference o Webinars The task force had conference calls on: • November 1, 2016 • December 6, 2016 Expenses for conference calls. Submitted on: January 10, 2017 Scholarly Communications Core Competencies Task Force Submitted by: Andrew Wesolek Andrew Wesolek, chair (Clemson University) Sara Bahnmaier (University of Michigan) Jason Boczar (University of South Florida) Rachel Miles (Kansas State University) Char Simser (Kansas State University) Stephanie Spratt (Missouri Western State University) Sarah Sutton (Emporia State University) William Joseph Thomas (East Carolina University) Betsy Appleton, board liaison (St. Edwards University) Continuing Activities Accepting feedback on the competencies. Completed Activities The Task Force received and integrated feedback from the Board, and a selection of experts in the scholarly communication field. A final draft of the Competencies was made available online: http://www.nasig.org/site_page.cfm?pk_association_w ebpage_menu=310&pk_association_webpage=9435 The membership is encouraged to submit feedback to the task force through the following email address: Representatives from the task force will be available at the 2017 NASIG annual conference to present and discuss the Competencies with the membership in greater detail. Members Submitted on: January 26, 20127 NASIG Strategic Plan Task Force Joyce Tenney, chair (University of Maryland, Baltimore County), 16/18 Virginia Bacon Martin, member (Duke University), 16/18 Carol Ann Borchert, member & board liaison (University of South Florida), 16/18 Kittie Henderson, member (EBSCO Information Services), 16/18 Betsy Hughes, member (Abbott), 16/18 Steve Kelley, member (Wake Forest University), 16/18 Angie Thorpe, member (Indiana University Kokomo), 16/18 Continuing Activities The committee has started the process of collecting member input on the items indicated and approved by the Executive Board in the October report. Step one in the member feedback process was initiated in late December. That member survey asked five questions. The full survey results are attached to this report for your review. Approximately 100 members responded to the survey, which is approximately 10% of the NASIG membership. The following are some thoughts on the results: questions. It was noted that working a full track in this might be difficult, but many felt it would be beneficial. Question 1: NASIG should begin offering free webinars in conjunction with vendor members that allow the vendors to advertise their products. Results: 84% yes; 16% no- some thoughts of member comments- There is real concern that there be a good process for ensuring the number allowed and how they are presented. There should be a clear statement that NASIG is offering no implicit or explicit endorsement of the products. Question 2: NASIG should begin publishing customer reviews of products, either on the website or in the NASIG Newsletter. Results: 82.29% yes; 17.71% no- some thoughts on member comments- There were comments on the issue of this duplicating Charleston Advisor and Against the Grain. There was concern mentioned about the process for the success of this and that we need to be careful with this type of competition and duplication. The success of this endeavor would be dependent on knowledgeable reviewers and editors… Also, this process should be well thought out so that it isn’t replicating some other product reviewing service. Question 3: If yes, where should the reviews be posted? On the NASIG website behind the firewall- 54.43%; In the NASIG Newsletter – 50.63%; Other 6.33%. One interesting comment was to start on the NASIG website as a feature of membership, then decide if it is a good idea to open it up to public view. Question 5: NASIG should include more room in the conference program for late-breaking topics to be included. Results: 80.85% yes, 19.15% no- some thoughts on member comments- Comments were made that this had been tried before without great success. Also, there was some concern about how this would actually be implemented and thoughts that perhaps the poster session or lightning talks might be for this. While it was a favorable vote for this, there were concerns about how PPC would implement. The initial report with the proposed framework for the Strategic Plan was submitted and approved at the October Board Meeting. The first step in obtaining member feedback was initiated in late December. Action(s) Required by Board Please review the results of the surveys and indicate any comments on results Submitted on: January 13, 2017 2015/2016 Conference Planning Committee Annual Report Betsy Appleton and Mary Ann Jones Members Question 4: NASIG should begin including a Betsy Appleton, co-chair (St. Edward’s University) management track in both the conference Mary Ann Jones, co-chair (Mississippi State University) programming content and the continuing education Stephanie Adams, member (Tennessee Technological webinars. University) Stacy Baggett, member (Shenandoah University) Results: 93.81% Yes; 6.19% no- some thoughts on Katy DiVittorio, member (University of Colorado member comments- This was the most supported of the Denver) 35 NASIG Newsletter Betsy Hughes, member (Abbott) Liz Kupke, member (St. John’s College) Paul Moeller, member (University of Colorado Boulder) Sarah Perlmutter, member (EBSCO Information Services) Michelle Polchow, member (George Mason University) Rosemarie Reynolds, member (Smith College) Char Simser, member (Kansas State University) Anne McKee, Conference Coordinator (Greater Western Library Alliance) Lisa Martincik, Registrar (University of Iowa) Karen Davidson, Registrar-in-Training (Mississippi State University) Joyce Tenney, ex officio, (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) Steve Kelley, board liaison (Wake Forest University) Continuing Activities The 2015/2016 Conference Planning Committee has completed all committee activities at this time. Completed Activities Overall, the NASIG 2016 Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico was a success. The Hotel Albuquerque is a beautiful facility with accommodating staff and the conference ran very smoothly. Conference Planning Committee Information: The 2016 CPC was a wonderful committee that worked very hard throughout the planning process. We ended up communicating primarily via conference calls, particularly in the spring as the conference dates neared. We divided the workload via areas of activity, and each committee member took one or two areas to provide leadership in those respective areas. Reception in the International Balloon Museum. The meals were well received by attendees. Audiovisual: The CPC used the services of Non-Profit Help to solicit three bids for this year’s AV. Michelle Polchow and Betsy Appleton coordinated with the selected AV company, Action AV. We had relatively few AV issues at the conference, and this conference a couple “firsts” for NASIG: the Vision Sessions were livestreamed (and now available here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfCwmKIIu_Vb 1gRSRzvtbSskrIKclguM1 ), and one session had a presenter via Skype. Publicity: The CPC would like to thank the 2016 Publicist, Leigh Ann DePope for all her assistance with publicity for the conference. Key CPC members that aided with publicity copy include Stephanie Adams, who compiled a plethora of local resource links/tourist information for both publicity and the website. Conference Website: Rose Reynolds and Betsy Hughes kept our conference website updated as our CPC Webspinners this year. They did a fantastic job of getting information live on the website within a business day of it being available. Registration: Our Registrar Lisa Martincik and Registrarin-Training Karen Davidson did the lion’s share of the work to ensure that registration worked smoothly for the 2016 conference. Liz Kupke coordinated getting conference packet information collated and printed, and all of the committee took shifts at the registration desk at the conference. We certainly want to extend particular thanks to Char Simser for all her time and calming presence at the registration desk at the conference! Vendors/Sponsors/Special Events: Sarah Perlmutter coordinated the Vendor Expo this year, and also worked with the Membership committee to organize the First Timers’ Reception. Conference Budget NASIG 2016 Annual Conference Budget Expenses Meals Estimate $68,338.30 Actual $71,479.46 $5,985.50 $4,030.00 Transportation Opening Speaker Preconference Speaker Fees $3,065.00 $250.00 $3,000.00 Registration Table/Info/Signs $2,575.00 Logo design $500.00 First Timers Reception $1,000.00 A-V Services $20,000.00 Poster Session Display panels $2,000.00 $718.16 Contingency fund $20,000.00 0 Total Expenses $126,713.80 -$105,305.05 Balance $103,375.00 $102,522.50 $20,000.00 $37,675.00 $123,375.00 $140,197.50 (3,338.80) $34,892.45 Notes Meals + Break Options- Includes Opening Reception Includes Balloon Museum Deposit (2205); Isotopes Tickets Deposit (250); Balloon Museum Rental Fee (1575) To get to Balloon Museum From Michael: I have had 5 of 9 Preconference speakers turn in their reimbursements. So right now, this total stands at $2528.47. This was $799, included in meals Actual figure includes live streaming. Action(s) Required by Board getting increasingly unwieldy: we suspect it has been easier to add to the manual for the past 15 years without deleting any potentially outdated information or re-organizing certain sections for clarity. Submitted on: December 2, 2016 The NASIG Newsletter is copyright by NASIG and NASIG encourages its widest use. In accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act's Fair Use provisions, readers may make a single copy of any of the work for reading, education, study, or research purposes. In addition, NASIG permits copying and circulation in any manner, provided that such circulation is done for free and the items are not re-sold in any way, whether for-profit or not-forprofit. Any reproduction for sale may only be done with the permission of the NASIG Board, with a request submitted to the current President of NASIG, under terms which will be set by the Board. The NASIG Newsletter (ISSN: 1542-3417) is published 4 times per year for the members of the North American Serials Interest Group, Inc. Members of the Editorial Board of the Newsletter are: Kate B. Moore Indiana University Southeast Tina Buck University of Central Florida Stephanie Rosenblatt Cerritos College Kurt Blythe University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Rachel A. Erb Colorado State University Christian Burris Wake Forest University Faye O’Reilly Wichita State University Gail Julian Clemson University Nancy Hampton Xavier University of Louisiana Christian Burris Wake Forest University Send submissions and editorial comments to: Kate B. Moore Indiana University Southeast Library New Albany, Indiana Phone: 812-941-2189 Email: Send all items for “Checking In”, "Citations," & “Title Changes” to: 2. CPC/PPC Report (Ilik, Kelley, McKee , Wiegand, Williams) 4.1 2016 Conference Financials Sara Bahnmaier , Archivist (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor) 2015 - 2017 Peter Whiting , Archivist- in-training (University of Southern Indiana) 2017 - 2019 Carla Bywaters , Photo Historian (San Jose State University), 2016 /2018 Zahra Saeedozakerin , Photo Historian (Concordia University), 2016 /2018 • We will have 2 student award winners • Those receiving travel will be given $600 each ($75 stipend included). An extra $1000 was added here to cover overages, as the information indicates we will cover travel costs above the $600.


This is a preview of a remote PDF: http://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1819&context=nasig

March 2017 Full Issue, NASIG Newsletter, 2017,