April 1992

NASIG Newsletter, Dec 1992

Published on 04/02/92

A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.

Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:


April 1992

TASK FORCE FORMED TO SUR NASIG MEMBERSHIP 0 1 2 0 Speakers: D e a A~stle, Head, Technical Services, Clemson University Libraries 1 Speakers: Nan H u b , Senior Director of Marketing , New Business , New Technology 2 Teresa Malinowski Serials Coordinator California State University , Fullerton P.O. Box 4150 Fullerton, CA 926344150 FAX: 714-449-7135 , USA - REPORT OF THE NASIG SELF-PUBLISHINGTASK FORCE AALT CONFERENCE CORRECTION TO THE DECEMBER 1991 NEWSLElTER CALENDAR OF UPCOMING EVENTS NASIG COMMlTIEE VOLUNTEER FORM organizations'documentsare full of retrenc and cutbacks. By contrast, NASIG is full o mistic As I look at r comments were music to timism and energy she saw reflected blication. We would all agreethat NASI rengths and that we are trying to over 100individuals;the committees also hav 22 along with a specific focus topic (serials) successful. [Continued on Page 31 The NASIG Newsletter (ISSN 0892-1733) is published 5 times a year for the members of the North American Serials Interest Group, Inc. It is available only through personal membership in the organization. Members of the Editorial Board of the Newsletter are: Editor-in-Chief: Jean Callaghan Wheaton College (MA) Submissions Editor: Daphne C. Hsueh Ohio State University Distribution Editor: Daphne C. Miller Wright State University School of Medicine Production Editor: Kathy Wodrich Schmidt Indiana University School of Medicine NASIG Executive Board Liaison: Teresa Malinowski California State University, Fullerton Publisher W i n : Isabel a e C h Institute for Scientific Information The Newsletter is published in February, April, June, September, and December. The NASIG Membership Directory will be mailed with the April issue. Submission deadlines are 4 w e e b prior to the publication date (January 1. March 1, May 1,August 1, &November 1). The submission date for the next issue is M a y 1. NO UTE SUBMISSIONSWILL BE ACCEPTED. Send all submissions and Calendar of Events items to: Daphne C. Hsueh, Retrospective Conversion Specialist, Cataloging Dept., University Libraries, Ohio State University, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, O H 43210-1286 614-292-8114 x44131 FAX: 614-292-7859 Bitnet: daphne@ohstmw Send all editorial comments to: Jean Callaghan, Serials Librarian Wallace Library, Wheaton College, Norton, M A 02766 508285-7l22 Xs30 FA?k 508-285-6329 Bitnet: jcaU@wheatmna Send all inquiries concerning the NASIG organization and membership, and change of address information to: Lisa Peterson, NASIG Secretary 420 Effey street Santa Cruz, CA 95062 408-427-3090 FAX: 408-459-0895 Send all claims for unreceived issues of the Newsletter to: Daphne Miller, Serials Library Media Assistant, Wright State University School of Medicine, Fordham Health Sciences Library, P.O.Box 921,Dayton, O H 454010927 513-873-3514 FAX: 513-879-2675 President's Column [continued from Page 11 Volunteers offer to work on committees and task for-, people who are asked to serve. usually accept with pleasure. For example, the volunteer effort needed to produce the NASIG Membersh$ Directoq (included with this issue of the Newsletter) is enormous; thanks are due to Joan Luke Stephens and her staff. For those of you interested in serving on a NASIG committee, please fill out the committee volunteer form (also included with this issue). In the elected process, however, we do less well than in the volunteer capacities. To be sure, nominations for the Board are many and it is difficult for the Nominating Committee to winnow the ballot down to a manageable number. This is done diligently by seeking candidates' self-assessmentsand in an impartial rating system based on previous commitments and activities in NASIG, other organizations, and the serials ' i n d u s y as part of professional employment or extracumcular activities. Board election results are often close. The situation becomes less easy for the named or executive Board positions. Both Treasurer and Secretary require spesificexpertise and a great deal of time investment, but we have been fortunate in attracting good candidates, even though the *competition"for these positions could be greater. The post of President has proved vexing for the most recent three elections. In this last ballot, only one name appears along with a write-in blank That one candidate is a highly qualified, first-choice individualwith deep NASIG experience and a visible leadership role in the serials community. Yet she, the Nominating Committee, and the Board would have been MORE than delighted had we had several members clamoring to be on the presidential ticket and eager to be elected. In considering presidential candidates for the ballot, the Nominating Committee looks at all previous candidates, Board members, nominees, active NASIG members. It seeks the input of a number of individuals including the Board, and several of us work through the entire NASIG directory so we don't overlook available talent. 50, why isn't there a huge competition for NASIG President? The reasons for this are many and no doubt obvious. First, the position requires prior NASIG experience, not only for the issues but for an understanding of how the organization functions. As an organization only 7 years old, we have some of what OUT illustrious past President, Mary Beth Clack, terms "bench strength," but always less than we would like o r need. Organizationally,we need to provide as many avenues as p i b l e to build that kind of strength. We do that by expanding committees, activities, and working groups. We need members' suggestions for more ideas to work on -- as well as volunteers to undertake new ideas. Second, the job takes a great deal of time. Some times are busier than others, particularly times leading up to Board meetings and annual conferences. The lead and preparation time for an annual conference is at least 9 months for Program and close to 1.5 years for local arrangements. Any new initiatives (and an organization would perish without them) are add-ons. Meanwhile, there is the very real day by day contact with committee liaisons, finances, and specific member needslrequests. The Board has been considering how to give better support to all the elected positions and committees. We agree that NASIG is at a point where modest sums of money to see a project through completion o r a Committee on the road to an idea, or to help an officer with better NASIG productivity(software, modest part-time assistance, communications costs) -- are available and we should ensure that that is publicized. And that such practical support continues and grows. It is unlikely that in the near future we would opt for an association management firm's support. Such support is costly as it pays professional salaries and overheads. More to the point, it could close doors to some of the NASIG activities that are cheerfully and enthusiastically undertaken by our members. In the year that I was on the ballot, my co-runner and I were told that a number of people hali already turned down the nomination. The general rfmons given: - Lack of time. Institutions are cutting back on staff and people are working harder and harder on their jobs. And value whatever leisure time they have all the more. - Lack of funds. Institutions and individuals are having a harder time affording travel and mmmunications costs. - Lack of access to good support seMces, like stationery, mpiers, postage machines, high-tech work enhancers (such as e-mail, computers, software). This is a particularly vexing problem for NASIG members who do not work in an organizational building, whose working style is independent. Such people might be consultants o r work as representatives for vendors or publishers. Lack of access to corporate workday "tools" has certainly wst us some arcellent candidates. - Lack of confidence. The perception that the job is t m hard or somehow beyond the person's ability to handle. Needless to say, this is a rationale that the Nominating Committee works hard to o v e r c o m e with p o t e n t i a l candidates. Organizationally, we can overcome it by providing more and more opportunities to build that "bench strength' and confidence. - Lack of information. Being unsure what the presidency involves and the kinds of support that are available. For this, members should feel free to speak to individuals o n the Board and the cadre of past-presidents that are among us, live and well to tell the tale. Also, Mary Beth Clack and Teresa Malinowski have worked particularly hard to assemble documentation that spells out many of the procedures that have been developed to run the organivltion smoothly. Teresa has even developed a calendar that tells officers, month by month. what is to be done when. Maybe we need to turn that into a software package for officers! In the strategic planning process that the Board has initiated, chaired by John Tagler, members will be asked about a great many things. Leadership will be one of the key elements. We will value your insights and opinions about the process. On behalf of the Nominating Committee and the Board, I urge you to consider a NASIG office in future years. All of the dozens of elected officers, past and present, have found ours an enriching and growing experience. As I sit at my computer and listen for primary returns from 8 states today, 1 ponder that, at least, NASIG members show great intelligence in the way they work for their organization and the way they run for office. In this great land, a tiny portion of people choose to become involved in governance. And a comparatively large number run for President! In NASIG, an enormous proportion of members help to govern, but very few are naive or foolish enough to run for executive office! And a final, throwaway line -- NASIG does not beat national averages in votes cast. Only about half our members vote. Now, that is a statistic we need to improve. Enough said, and time to e-mail this column to our newsletter editor who gently reminds me that it is one week late. OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES MEETING TexaS D a t e F i e P l a c e : 24January 19Y2,200PM630PM, Hotel Plaza San Antonio, San Antonio, Attending: A. Okerson, President T. Malinowski, V. President M.B.Clack, Past President A. Vidor, Treasurer L Peterson, Secretary J. Callaghan C Hepfer S.Martin E.Rast J. Tagler D. Tonkery Guests: Jim Mouw (Chair, 1992 Local Arrangements), Patricia Scany (Program Chair for SSP Conference), Danny Jones (Self-Publishing Task Force Chair), Adrian Alexander and Marifran Bustion (Co-Chairs, Continuing Education Committee) 1.0 AUDIOMIof Minutes The minutes of the 2 November 1991 Board meeting were approved with the following correction: 10.2 ACTION statement change "MaryFran Bustian" to 'Marifran Bustion." Okerson presented a proposed budget for 1992and costs for printing the Back h u e s Directory Projected expenditures (excludingconferencecosu) for 1992 total S19,704. Several questions were raised during the discussions. Okerson noted a cnuple of omissions and will make revisions. Vidor reported as of January 1992, NASIG membership totals 770. This includes 721 renewals and 49 new members. Seventy-five fewer renewal reminder notices were sent out in 1991 than in 1990. Vidor distributed the financial statement for January 1992 NASIG has S29.639.40in checking accounts and $35.73431 in investments. Vidor funher reported that NASIG now has a safe deposit box at the Trust Company of Georgia. Roger Presley and Joan Luke Stephens of the Finance Committee have access as does Vidor. Additional names can be added as needed. Annual maintenance fees are S20.00. 2.3 NASIG Permanent Address and NASIG Credit Card Vidor discussed problems encountered because NASIG does not have. a permanent address. The Finance Committee looked into securing a P.O. Box but because of the inconvenience and because. NASIG members and officers change she did not recommend obtaining a P.O. Box. Tonkery suggested a private mail drop service. Mail drops run S20-SM a month and don't limit you to just one single post box. Mail is forwarded to a designated person on a regular basis. ACTION: Committee will pursue. DATE: Report at the June 1992 Board meeting. Vidor reported that the Finance Committee needed more information before pursuing a credit card for NASIG. Okerson elaborated that a credit card would be useful for booking rooms, e t c Also, it would save the Treasurer some of the time currently spent on reimbursements. She suggested the Committee obtain brochures and look at requiremenu. Tonkery suggested the Committee also gather information on debit cards. ACl7ON Committee will pufsue. DATE: Report at the June 1992 Board meeting. Clack presented the proposed ballot for the 1992 Executive Board Election and discussed the nominations process. She noted that the committee had encountered some difficulties in finding candidates and that only one candidate for Vice Presidentmresident-Electcould be identified. Increasing demands from their jobs and reductions in support staff to assist with clerical tasks were tkequently noted reasons for declining a nomination especially for the position of Vice Presidentmresident-Elect which is a three year commitment Okerson noted that NASIG does budget for some paid assistance. The Board approved the ballot as presented. ACTION Clack will ask Bill Robnett, Nominations and Elections Committee Chair, to add a brief statement about the election process to the Nominations report to be published in the Newsletter. A C I I O N The Board will review the issues presented in Robnett's memo of 21 January 1992 and will resume dxussion at the June meeting. 4.0 Strateeic Plan - MembershiD Survey Task -Force Tagler reported that the Task Force had developed five categories (demographics, NASIG publications, annual conferences, continuing education and NASIG officers and administration) for the membership survey. A draft survey should be completed in March and the final survey Sent to the membership by mid-May. Results (tabulated by computer), accompanying analysis and recommendations should be completed by September 1992 Members serving on the Task Force include: John Tagler, Elsevier, Mary Beth Clack, Harvard; Tina Feick, Blackwell's; Cindy Hepfer, SUNY-Buffalo; Jamie Hurley, Innovative Interfaces, Jnc; Sharon McKay, EBSCO, and Barbara Meyers, Consultant. The Board agreed that the survey should gather information to support a five year planning process and the organization should survey members every 5-6 years. ACTION Tagler will look into costs for the survey tabulation and will write an article about the survey for the April 1992 Newsletter. DATE: Drafi survey submitted for Board approval in MarcWApril 1992 5.0 Student Grant Committee Vidor reported that the Committee added a question on the grant application asking from what source students heard about the NASIG grant. A new recommendation form for faculty and job supervisors will also be included as part of the application. Previously only a signature was required. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure this form is submitted. The Committee also sent out a survey to former grant recipients in January 1992 Vidor also noted that the Committee is. exploring the use of a software package to assist in evaluating candidates. ACTION: Committee will expand publicity to library schools by contacting sate.llite/extension campuses. DATE: Report back at June 1992Board meeting. Vidor further reported that secretarial help was needed to assist with mailings, memos to Deans, acknowledgements, and rejection letters. Okerson noted that Committee Chairs should discuss assistance requirements with Board Liaisons. The Board agreed that each committee, at its discretion, can spend $50-$100for clerical support. No formal approval is required. The Board discussed creating a master copy of all Committee papenvorWcorrespondence to be centralized with the NASIG Seaetary. It was agreed that NASIG should hold master form letters in two major software formats. ACTION Peterson will contact Committee Chairs requesting copies (on disk and in paper) of any NASIG correspondence, forms, documentation, guidelines, or letters in use. Information about word processing and systems is also needed. DATE: Report back at June 1992 Board meeting. Malinowski requested a policy be established concerning requests by other groups for our NASIG mailing list. After discussion the Board agreed if the group has an established liaison relationship with NASIG the request will be honored. Members/Committees should forward requests to their Board Liaisons who will authorize release of mailing Lists or mailing labels upon receipt of appropriate justification and a copy of any letter o r form the group would be distributing. Board Liaisons will forward requests for listsflabels to the chair of the Database Committee. Lists or labels will be generated and mailed by the Committee. There will be no charge for listsllabels but in some cases we may request that NASIG membership forms be made available. If there is no relationship, the request should be forwardedto the NASIG President for a decision. 1992 Annual Conference Conference Program Okerson presented the program for the Friday and Sunday morning plenary sessions. She noted a few speakers are not yet confirmed. She also distributed the schedule, topics, conveners, and speakers for the Saturday joint SSP/NASIG breakout sessions. Pat Scarry was concerned that the breakout sessions might be too librarianoriented. The Board made some recommendations for alternate convenersbpeakers and bow topics might be targeted for both SSP and NASIG audiences. Malinowski presented the list of workshops planned for the conference. Topics include claiming, training, collection development, cataloging and the role of the serials vendor. Attendees will have the opportunity to select four from the eighteen workshops scheduled. Malinowski thanked all those who worked so hard on the program and workshop planning. In addition, the conference program planners have scheduled a preconference workshop for Thursday, June 18 from 3:00-5:00PM on electronic networking. The preconference workshop will be run as an experiment. The Board decided not to charge a fee for the preconference workshop and to limit the size to 50 attendees. The plenary session and workshop topics, speakers and conveners will all be finalized by February 15. Local Arrangements Jim Mouw presented a report from the Local Arrangements Committee. The Committee has negotiated meals and made suggestions for rooms. Preliminary plans have been made for registration and brochure production. The Committee requested Board assistance with the date, location and funding limits for the Joint SSPPJASIG reception. Costs for room, catering and transportation continue to be concerns. After discussion the Board recommended that the Committee negotiate with UIC for a reception site. The Board agreed that the wst of the reception should be part of the NASIG registration and that registration should not be raised to awer reception costs. Site availability will determine either a Friday or Saturday reception date.. SSP will charge a separate fee for the reception. The Board approved the following registration rates: $275.00 for single; $225.00 for double; and $175.00 for commuter. Daily registration fees for Thursday and Sunday (half days) will be $45.00. daily registration fee for Friday and Saturday (full days) will be $90.00. An extra night (single only) will be $4200. The Board also agreed with the Committee's recommendation to provide information about local tours, which would include cost, times, and directions. NASIG will not organize any tours because of the abundance of readily available tours. ACTION: Mouw will gather more information on room rental costs and on how meals will be priced. Mouw and Scarry will also continue to explore possibilities other than the Atrium at UIC for the reception. The registration brochure will be Sent out the first week in March. DATE: Report findings to Malinowski in early February 1992. 8.0 Self-PublishingTask Force Danny Jones presented the findings and recommendations of the Task Force. After discussion the Board agreed: 1) continue publication of the proceedings as they show a record of substantive programming by NASIG, 2) continue publishing with an existing publisher rather than self-publish; 3) proceedings editors should receive an honorarium (details will be worked out); and 4) proceedings indexer will receive an honorarium or we will negotiate for the publisher to index the volume. p . ' s note: A copy of the Task Force report is included in this issue of the Newsletter.] ACTION: The Task Force was asked to explore the offers from Haworth Press and Pierian Press in greater detail. Okerson will assist the Task Force. DATES: Contacts should be made by March 1, 1992" 8.2 1992 NASIG Proceedings After discussion, the Board decided that if we renegotiate with Haworth for the 1992 proceedings, we will ask to waive the royalty income in favor of an honorarium of $500-$1oOO annually for providing intellectual content and editorial expertise. NASIG will request a minimum of three months for editorial work Okerson noted that a contract should be signed in Spring 1992 DATE: A publisher for the 1992 proceedings needs to be selected by the end of March. 9.0 Continuine Education Committee Adrian Alexander and Marifran Bustion presented the status report of the Continuing Education Committee. The Board discussed the report and recommended the following goals and objectives for the Committee: 1) develop NASIG participation throughout the country; 2) enlist the aid of Regional Councils and state and local groups (Special Libraries Association Chapters, California Library Association Discussion Groups, etc) in addition to Library Schools; 3) explore the possibility of spinning off some of the conference workshops as "road show'; 4) focus on practitioners as intended audience; 5 ) explore charging registration fees for workshops. ACTION. The Committee was asked to complete standard outlines for vendor, publisher, and librarian workshop participants and to work with Tagler on the continuing education section of the Membership Survey. DATE: Report at the June 1992 Board meeting. 10.0 10.1 Publication Proiects Electronic Communications Committee Okerson presented the latest survey summary (January 13,1992). p i t o r ' s note: A copy of this survey appears in the previous issue of the Newsletter.] She also reported that A M S will be asking Bitnet users to identify which gateway they use to access the Internet. This should be completed for some users. Okerson "peers the list to be operational in February. It will be called NASIGNFT. 10.2 Holley Back Issues Directory Tonkery reported that the Directory is now at the printers for printing estimates. He will develop an order flyer for the February issue of the Newsletter. List price will be S10.00, including postage, orders to be prepaid. Tonkery will handle the dmtribution and will be reimbursed by NASIG. 103 Haworth Press Letters Okerson presented the Haworth letters concerning the pricing, promotion and marketing of our NASIG proceedings. ACTION O k e m n will contact Bill Cohen and thank him for the information. 11.0 Association of Presses Liaison American University Okerson reported on discussions with AAUP concerning the appointment of an official liaison with NASIG. AAUP said that any formal liaison would have to be a university press publisher. However, they would be happy to continue working with Julia Gammon as an 'unofficial" liaison. The Board approved the latter arrangement. ACTION: Okerson will speak with Gammon about AAUP's requirements. TASK FORCE FORMED TO SURVEY NASIG MEMBERSHIPI John Tagler The Task Force o n the 1992 Membership Survey has been formed to survey the NASIG membership. The charge to the Task Force is to prepare, mail, tabulate and report on the results of a questionnaire which examines the membership's needs and perceptions, thus enabling NASIG to identify strategic directions for its programs and activities for the nexi three to fiveyears. Task Force chair is John Tagler, who will be working with a group that includes Mary Beth Clack, Tina Feick, Cindy Hepfer. Jamie Hurley, Sharon McKay and Barbara Meyers. Among the topics to be addressed in the survey are the membership's perceptions about the various NASIG publications, annual conference and continuing education programs as well as the general administration of the organization. Questionnaires will be mailed in mid-May with return requested by July 1st The responses will be analyzed during July and August and a report will be submitted to the NASIG Executive Board in early autumn. The first NASIG membership survey was conducted in Spring 1988 and the findings provided direction in planning for the years thereafter. During the intervening years, the NASIG membership has grown and diversified and the 1992 survey promises to reflect the changing needs of that constituency. We want to alert our members to this forthcoming questionnaire and we look forward to a good response rate! NASIG'S SEVENTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE June 17-21, 1992 University of Illinois, Chicago CONFERENCE SCAEDULE THEME: If We Build It: Scholarly Communications and Networking Technologies Wednesday, June 17,1992 2 0 0 - 700 p.m. NASIG Board meeting Thursday, June 18,1992 1000 a.m. - 700 p.m. Conference Registration 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. UIC Library tours 1:00 - 3.a p.m. NASIG Committees meet 2 a - 5M) p.m. Welcoming reception 300- 5.W p.m. Electronic Networking Workshop (LIMm M people by advance registration) 6 a - 7 3 pm. Opening I ~ p t i O d d i M e r 730 - 8 3 p.m. Opening festivities and welcome 830 - 9 3 p.m. NASIG Annual General Meeting 1000 - midnight Opening night mixer Friday, JUM 19,1992 630 - 7 a am. Fun RurdWalk 7 0 0 - 830 am. Breakfast 8 4 5 - 1230 p.m. NASIG PLENARY SESSION I 8 4 5 - 9m a.m. Announcements, Preliminaries 9 0 0 - 930 a.m. W o r d k Lynch, Director, Library Automation, University of California, Office of the President: 'Entwined: transforming scholarly communications and libraries in the age of networked information' 9 3 - 1000a.m. James J. O'Donnell, Professor of Classics, University of Pennsylvania: "St Augustine to NREN the tree of knowledge and how it grows' 1000 - 10.30 Discussion 1 Q 3 - 11LlO Break 11:00 - 1 1 3 Julia B l i i d , Program Offrcer, Council on Library Resources, Washington, DC: "Webs that Link Libraries, Librarians, and Information: evolving technical standards for a networking age' 11:30 - 1200 Anita Lowry,Deputy Head, Butler Reference Dept. & Director, Electronic Text Service,Columbia UniversityLibraries: "Landlords and Tenants: who owns electronic information, who pays for it, and how?" 1200 - 1230 Discussion 12:30 - 2:00 Lunch 2 0 0 - 330 NASIG Workshops Set I 330-4:00 Break 400 - 5:30 NASIG Workshops Set I1 5:30 - 630 Informal Discussion Groups 7 0 0 - Night on the town (NASIG sponsored Activity: Chicago White Sox game) Saturday, June 20, 1992 - JOINT PLENARY SESSION 630 - 8 0 0 a.m. Breakfast 8m-930 a.m. NASIG Workshops Set I (repeat) 9 4 5 - 1045 a.m. JOINT PLENARY SESSION 9 4 5 - 1000 a.m. PLENARY Welcome by presidents, and announcements 1000 - 1045 a.m. Charles Reed, Chancellor, State UniversitySystem of Florida, 'Higher Education in the 90's: growth, regression, or status quo" 1045 - 11:15 a.m. Break 11:15 - 1230 p.m. CONCURRENT SESSIONS, Choose from EIGHT 1230 - 215 p.m. LUNCH 2 1 5 - 3 3 p.m. CONCURRENT SESSIONS, Choose from EIGHT 3 3 - 4 . a p.m. Break 4:00 - 6 a p.m. JOINT PLENARY SESSION 400 - 500 pm. Willard McCarty, Assistant Director, Centre for Computing in the Humanities, University of Toronto: "A Potency of Life: scholarship in an electronic age" 5:00 - 600 p.m Town Meeting and Adjournment 6 3 - 8 3 p,m. Joint NASIGFSP Reception 900 - midnight Dancing Sunday, June 21,1992 700 - 830 a.m. Breakfast 900 - 1030 a.m. NASIG Workshops Set I1 (repeat) 1030 - 11:W a.m. Break 1 1 M - ll:30 a.m. Karen Schmidt, Head, Acquisitions Systems, University of Illinois: "Professionals o r Profession-less, Information Engineers or ???: transforming technical services librarianship" ll:30 - 1215 p.m. Gary Brown, Regional Manager, The Faxon Company, "From Past Imperfects to Future Perfects: Wrap-up" 1 2 1 5 - 1 2 3 p.m. Farewells Final Announcements and NASIG 7TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE PRECONFERENCE WORKSHOP Electronic NehmrWng & Serial Resoums: Qnotidian ApplicaUons for the Curious & the Cynical (LIMW. 50 participants) Thursday, June 18,1992,300-500 p.m. Presenter: Birdie MacLennan, University of Vermont, Chair of the NASIG Electronic Communications Committee, List owner and Moderator of SERIALST This workshop will focus on how people working in the serials industry can enhance their w o r L l i and have fun by making use of resources that are available to them on the networks. Offerin@ will include: a brief, historical overview of the networks, particularly Bitnet & the Interne< justification for use of the networks, or what they can add to your worklife (exploration of various forums & Services for serialists); suggestions for gaining aocess to the networks (or how to get connected if you aren't already); practical tips in day-to-day e-mail usage (what to look for in a mail system, managing the influx of mail); and, strategies and methods for fmding information in remote places (Telnet, FIT,and searching listserv archives). Concurrent sessions will be held twice on Saturday, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Speakers: Robert Bovenschulte, Vice President Publishing, New England Journal of Medicine for Maria L Lebron, Managing Editor, On-line Journal of Current Clinical Trials Convener: Patricia Scany, Associate Journals Manager, University of Chicago Press scholarly publishing is undergoing wrenching changes, driven in large measure by economic forces. Bovenschulte will offer an assessment of economic trends and developments in the system of scholarly communication Lebron will provide an "insider" look at the first two months of the operation of the AAAWOCLC On-line Journal of Current Clinical Trials including manuscript review, delivery, and initial customer reactions. 2. Price Studies Why and How Lynn Fortney, Marketing Manager, Biomedical Division, EBSCO Subscription Services Convener: Barbara Meyers, President, Meyers Consulting Services This panel will explore why price studies and price indices are conducted and how they are approached from three different perspectives: the library, the subscription agency, and the publisher. The value and importance of such studies will be examined, along with the need for standardization and an understanding of how such studies can be used to assist collection development activities associated with determining the relative "worth" of journals. Audience reaction will be sought on a number of issues: who should fund and conduct price studies? what aspects are. of critical importance to libraries? what have been local experiences in applying price studies? Copyright and Ucensing in the Nectronic Environment Speakers: Sanford Thatcher, Director, Pennsylvania State University Press Anita Lowry, Deputy Head, Butler Reference Dept. & Director, Electronic Text Service, Columbia University Libraria Convener: Ann Okerson, Office of Scientific & Academic Publishing, Association of Research Libraries. A university press director and copyright authority will address publishers' copyright concerns as publishing makes forap into the electronic arenas of CD-ROM, tapes, and networking. He will consider the adequacy of current copyright legislation in treating these newer medii. A Librarian who works with electronic files and texts will describe the models being presented to library and scholarly customers for such materials, highlighting concerns for both libraries and publishers in achieving workable solutions. PrrservPtim retaining the past future shategies for Speakers: Jan Merrill-Oldham, Preservation University of Connecticut Librarian, David Cohen, Director of Libraries, College of Charleston Convener: J o h n T a g l e r , D i r e c t o r Communications, Elsevier of C o r p o r a t e Until now, preservation has been a term used for saving deteriorating old books; or for employing production techniques (such as acid-free paper) that retard deterioration. Increasingly, with the benefit of new technologies, preservation is being used to describe innovative ways of "Saving"books in digitized or bit-mapped formau. 'Ituo "pens will propose ways in which publishers and the library community can work together to eliminate concerns about books deteriorating or going out of print. The solutions require some technology i n v e s t m e n t s , a g r e e m e n t s a b o u t copyright/ownership, and redefinition of responsibilities of both publishers and librarians in the emerging electronic networking environment. Regional Ubrary Networking: opportunities for serving scholarship new Speakers: Jim Neal, Dean, University Libraries, Indiana University Barbara von Wahlde, Associate Vice President for UniversityLibraries, State Universityof New York at Buffalo Convener: Cindy Hepfer, Head, Serials Department, Health Science Library, State University ofNew York at Buffalo Regional networking among libraries presents outstanding opportunities to enrich scholarly communication and collaboration, as well as for stretching library purchasing power for materials. both traditional print and electronic Network linkages utilizing telecommunications, computers, and workstations provide the technical framework for new partnerships between libraries to explore relations with information providershendors and publishers. Using the State University Library Automation Network (SULAN) in Indiana and the S U N Y University Centers as case studies and models of expanding cooperative ventures, this session will explore enhanced information delivery and cooperative resource sharing programs and their impact on the library, publishing, and scholaxly communities. 239.1 - You Just Don’t Understand! Librarians and a publisher discuss the standard for Periodicals Format and Arrangement Speaker: Regina Reynolds, Acting Head, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress Reactors: Nina Gamer, Manager, Journals Publishing Division, American Society of CMl Engineers Minna Saxe, Chief Technical Services Librarian, Graduate School, City University of New York Convener: Sylvia Martin, Coordinator of General Technical Services Operations, Vanderbilt University Libraries For every librarian who groans about a periodical’s title change, strange numbering scheme, o r on-again, off-again supplement, there is a publisher who has many reasons for doing what is done. 239.1, currently undergoing revision, is a NISO standard developed by a committee of publishers and librarians. It provides guidelines for designing and producing periodicals that will be usable by, and therefore useful to, their readers. Regina Reynolds, a member of the NISO committee, will discuss significant areas of the standard, including recommendations about titles, numbering, identification of articles,volume identification,and printing and binding. A publisher and librarian will share their points of view about the standard and its implementation. General conarns which arise in discussion will be forwarded to NISO. Instructions will be given on how to obtain a copy of the draft standard and how to send formal comments t o NISO. MprWng to Ubraries: what works?? Vicky Reich, Chief, Serials and Aquisitions, Stanford University Libraries Convener: October R. Ivins, Head, Serials SeMcesand Acting Head, Acquisitions, Louisiana State University Libraries Adapting market strategy to changes in the library community, such as static budgets, rising journal costs, and increased reliance on new technologies, will be addressed by Hudes. She will examine a variety of uaditional and innovative techniques including the recently established Bowker Library Advisory Board. Reich will describe the evolving environment of library aquisitions, explain how selection decisions are made in various types of libraries, and discuss the success and failure of present marketing approaches from a librarian’s viewpoint. She will use the results of the AAPALCTS Serials Section marketing survey, conducted in 1990,to broaden her remarks. Speakers: Anna E McKee, BibliographicServices Librarian, Arizona State University, West Campus Martha Lewis, Head, Library Operations, Abbott Laboratories Library Convener: Daniel H. Jones, Assistant Library Director for Collection Development, University of Texas Health Sciences Center Two speakers will discuss the use of commercial and nonsommwcial article deliiev services. Mitchell represents a branch campus library in which an intentional reliance upon the resources of the larger collection of the main campus has guided both aquisitions and the development of document delivery services. Lewis,in contrast, has made substantial use of many commercial article deliveryservices at her corporate library in the last decade. Both speakers will address vendor contract negotiations and techniques for complying with copyright laws. NASIG 7TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE: WORKSHOPS Eighteen workshops will be offered and are desaibed below in two sets. NASIG Conference participants will be able to attend TWO different workshops from each set. SEr I Alternstives in Serials Organization and Workllow Cntaloging Lori Osmus, Head, Serials Cataloging section, Iowa State University Dena Hutto, Serials Cataloger, Pennsylvania State University Take a fresh look at cataloging organization and workflow options. Osmus will dseuss a fairly traditional serials workflow within the serials section of a cataloging department, and Hutto will describea nontraditional serialsworkflow in which the cataloging process takes place across work units that communicate through serialscataloging teams. Participants will be encouraged to discuss the pros and cons of each approach and to offer examples of serials cataloging organization and workflow solutions from their own institutions. 2 Automatjng Binding proecdu~s:Uslng INNOVACQ vs. an In-House Binding DatabESG Barbara Shaffer, University of Toledo Assistant Serials Librarian, Karen Aufdemberge, Assistant Serials Librarian, University of Toledo Lisa A Mackiin, Serials Records Librarian, University of North Texas The experience of two university libraries in automating binding procedures will be explored. The workshop will indude an oveMew of the progress from a totally manual binding operation through all steps n-ry to use the INNOVACQ binding module in its entirety. Also, an overview will be given of the creation of an in-house binding database used to print binding tickets, produce financial reports and print lists of titles at the bindery. Comparisons and contrasts will be made between the two automated binding methods. The Footbone’s Conmeted to the Anklebone, o r Enumeration, Checking-in and labeling Instructions Daphne Hsueh, Chinese Studies Librarian, Ohio State University Beverley Geer-Butler, Head, Copy Cataloging Section, Ohio State University This workshop will discuss managing enumeration data in an automated environment and will address problems which oocur when checking-in and labeling. The workshop will use the experience of Ohio State University as a starting point to elicit discussion on this important issue in serial control. The goal of the workshop is threefold to share experiences, to highlight thii important aspects of serials control and to search for improved methods ofrepresenting enumeration in automated systems. Game Shows, Ekvptors, Full Plates, and other Alkborks: A Look a t the Present State and Future Possibilities of LC Subject Headings William E Studwell, Professor, University Libraries, Northern Illinois University By the use of several illustrative allegories, the author discusses the movement to rewise and upgrade LC subject headings, analyzes the current status of LC subject access and glances into the future. The Changing Role of the Vendor: Dewloping New Products and Senices Bill Leazer. Vice President, Majors Scientific Subscriptions Marian Reijnen-coyle, Area Manager North America, Martinus Nijhoff International Workshop on the changing role of the agent in providing new seMces and products. Will discuss various research and development issues including how new seMw are developed in response to library needs, how customers are consulted about new produets and effectson service charges. CEECK-IN with the SISAC SYMBOL (bar d e ) : Implementation and uses for libraries, publishers, and automation vendors M. Stephen Dane, General Manager, Kluwer Academic Publishers George Wright N,VioePresident, Publication Identification & Processing Systems Jim Young,President, Sirsi Corporation Sponsored by SISAC (Serials Industry Systems Advisory Committee), this workshop will focus on the implementation and the uses of the SISAC Symbol (bar code). A publisher will describe why and how his company decided to use the SISAC symbol and what the benefits are. A filmaster producer of barcodes will acplaii the process of creating the SISAC Symbol and how publishers can do so. The representative of a library automation system wiU discuss why and how automation systems need to be able to accept the SISAC Symbol. There will be a final discussion cowring the other possible uses of the SISAC Symbol interlibrary loan, document delivery, inventory, e t c Publishing Opportunities: Getting into Print or Gctting Involved! Cindy Hepfer, Head, Serials Department, Health Services Library, State University of New York, Buffilo Julia Gammon, Head, Acquisitions Department, University of Akron Getting librarians involved in publishing gives everyone, librarians and publishers, a broader perspective on both publishing and library issues. This workshop will explore both traditional and non-traditional publishing opportunities. The emphasis will be on practical ways to get in print or get involved in commercial and scholarly publishing. Dianne McCutcheon, Assistant Head of Serial Records, National Library of Medicine Marjorie Mann, Systems Librarian, National Library of Medicine Stephen Giglio, Director of Medical Division, The Faxon Company Handling claims from the vendor and the description of the claim cycle, quality control mechanisms, interrelationship of the bibliographic, claiming, binding, back issue order and indexing systems, ability to customize claim forms, and future enhancements. FAXON will present their systematic approach to claims with a brief summary of findings and an emphasis on the preventive actions taken to impact this growing concern. Bask Training for Survival on the Frontlines Susan Davis, Head, Periodical Section, State University of New York, Buffalo Cheryl A. Bemero, Accounts Services Manager, EBSCO Subscription Services LouiseDiadato, Coordinator of Technical Services, Cardinal Switch College, Milwaukee Learn from battle tested veterans the 'ins" and 'outs" of serials. For those of you new to the skirmish, everything you wanted to know about serials that you never learned in library school from three perspectives -- an educator, a practitioner, and a vendor. Cataloging Serial Computer Files Colleen Thorbum, h i s t a n t Librarian, University of Florida Rebecca Ringler, Catalog Librarian, University of California, San Diego Several examples of catalog records for various types of serial computer files will be examined. Specificproblems related to the catalogingof %rial computer fileswill be discussed, as we.11 as methods of providing catalog access to the newer types of computer files. such as electronic journals and full-text databases. Working Together For the Futurr: Llbrnri.n/Publisher/Subscription Agents Mike Lennie, Publishing Director, Dawson Group Toby Green, General Manager Marketing, Pergamon Margaret Radboume, Journals Administration Manager, John Wiley Keith Courtney, Sales & Marketing Director, Taylor & Francis An overview of current activities in the publishing a r e n a , t o i m p r o v e services between Publisher-Agent-Libraries. Ideas for further improvements in this area. Topics to be discussed are: a) Format of bibliographic data, b) Publication dates, c) Claims and queries, d) The Subscription Agent and Publisher relationship, e) Automation systems. Short presentations to set the scene, followed by full participation by the audience. The Role and Responsibilities of the Professionnl Serials Cataloguer Marilyn Geller, Serials Cataloger, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries Eleanor Cook,SerialsLibrarian, Appalachian State University Trends in libraries have created new responsibilities for serials catalogers including supelvision of support staff cataloguers, management of projects related to or necessitated by automation, and implementation of cataloguing simplification guidelines. Thisworkshop will focus on issues emerging from the changing nature of our responsibilities such as: levels of staffing (professional vs. support staff), staffingrecruitment (qualities of a good serials cataloguer), training (resources and methods), and management of extra projects (recon, preservation microfilm, etc). 'Ile workshop will take the form of moderated discussion,with audience sharing and participation expected. How to Plan and Deliver a Great Workshop October Ivins, Head, Serials Services, Louisiana State University Libraries Tom Gearty, Operations Trainer, The Faxon Company Ivins, a veteran presenter and Program Committee member, will concentrate on workshop content and explain how the Program Committee operates. She will provide tips on how to develop a successful proposal and design a topic to fit the workshop format. Gearty,a professional trainer of trainers, will focus on the techniques of effective presentations: planning, audience analysis, writing, practicing, and delivering presentations. He will explain the advantagesof incorporating audiovisual support and handouts in workshops. Fewer Subscriptions = Increased Interlibrnry Services: How ASU and ASU West Meet the Challenge Eleanor Mitchell, Information Delivery Specialist. Arizona State University West, Phoenix Sheila Waltea, Head, Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services, Arizona State University, Tempe ASU West Fletcher Library was organized to provide access to its own holdings and those of the Tempe campus; the Tempe campus provides ILL, borrowing for the ASU West Fletcher Library. Additionally, the Tempe campus continues to Offer on campus document deliiery and is conducting a pilot project using commercial article delivery servicesto provide access to cancelled serials. This workshop will offer practical adviceon establishing an article delivery service, covering organizational, staffing and procedural aspects. Managing 'Pseudoserials" Christopher W. Nolan, Reference SeMces Librarian, Trinity University Keep track of when to order pseudoserials and how to anticipate and manage costs. Trinity University has approached this problem by creating a dBASE program for pseudoserials, allowing tracking of frequency of reorders and anticipated yearly costs. The workshop will consider the rationale for and design of the database, as well as practical implementation issues for reference and acquisitions staff. C o l M o n Development Assessment lor Biowdiesl Serials Collections Lynn F o n n 9 , Biomedical Division Marketing Manager, EBSCO Subscription SeMces Judith Rieke, Special Projects Librarian, University of North Dakota A discussion of how libraries have used recommended standards, including measurements, against rec0gniz.d biomedical index and abstracting services (both print and online), and evaluations by subject area (biochemistry, pediatrics, cardiology, etc). Other 'facts and factors,' such as publisher reputation, IS1 impaa factor, country of origin, language and price trends can provide useful information for collection development decisions. Auditing the Automtcd Serials Control S r S h Carol Hawks, Head, Acquisitions Department, The Ohio State University Sandra Weaver, Vice President, Innovative Interfaces, Inc How principles of internal control and auditing apply to automated serials control systems. Areas to be covered include: audit trails, segregation of functions, controlling electronicand physicalaccess to data, password security, and how to evaluate your system and its internal controls. The Cost Effeaiveness of Claiming and Replacing Journal Issues Marifran Bustion, Head, Serials Department, Texas A & M University A report of a study to determine the cost,per title and issue, for claiming journal issues not received by the library and for replacing journal issues lost after receipt by the library. Discussion includes time interval between claim and fulfillment; costs in staff time; unjustified c l a i , and the relationship between claimheplacement requirements and subscription costs. NASIG STH ANNUAL. CONFERENCE TRAVEL INFORMATION NASIG's mrdinator, ATI Travel Management, Inc has negotiated a special air travel program with American and Delta offering significant savings on air travel flying into Chicago, I L THE AMERICANDELTA DEAL A BONUS 5% D i s c o m OR all American or Delta's published fares, ranging from F i i t CIass to the deeply discounted Ultra-saver fares. Or, ifyou cannot meet the discount fare restriction, A 45% DISCOUNT off American or Delta's domestic round-trip full coach fare. Seven days advance purchase is required, and there are no cancellation or change fees. A 40% DISCOUNT off American or Delta's full coach fare for members originating travel in Canada, with a seven day advance purchase, and a S30.00 penalty fee for cancellation of purchased tickets. FOR DISCOUNTS ON AMERICAN AIRLINES Phone 800-433-1790 Ask for STAR FILE # sM62KS FOR DISCOUNTS ON DELTA AIRLINES Phone 800-241-6760 Ask for FILE X RO689 Fly American or Delta between June 15-24.1992 NASIG 7TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE BY-IAWS COMMllTEE MJ3ETING The By-Lam Committee will meet in OPEN SESSION on Thursday, June 18, 1992 at the University of Illinois (Chicago) as part of the opening day activities of the 7th Annual NASIG Conference. As in recent past years, the Committee will entermin any amendment proposals from the general membership AT THIS TIME in lieu of such being presented at the Business Meeting (SYLAWS Article XII, Section 1.) Exact meeting time and location will be posted at the Conference Registration area. NASIG 7”FI ANNUAL CONFERENCE: INFORMAL DISCUSSION GROWS The University of Illinois at Chicago conference program includes a scheduled time on Friday, June 19, 1992 from 5 9 - 6 3 0 p.m. for informal discussion group meetings. Last year at the Trinity conference, informal discussion groups included a Dynix Users Group, GeacUsers Group, Innovative. Interfaces, Inc Users Group, a SISACBtandards Update, and a Cataloguers Discussion Group. The meetings were lively and well attended Five. informal discussion groups are already scheduled to meet at Chicago. They include. a Geac Users Group, a Union Listing Discussion Group, a SISACBtandards Discussion Group, a Cataloguers Discussion Group, and a Claiming Discossion Group. Meeting locations will be announced at the conference. If you would like to lead a discussion group, o r schedule a group meeting, please contact Lisa Peterson, NASIG Secretary,before April 27,1992. ADDRESS 420 Effey Street, Santa CNZ, CA 95062 PHONE: 408427-3090 FAX 40&459-0895. NASIG 7TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE CATALQGUERS’ INFORMAL DISCUSSION GROUP / Marilyn Geller The Cataloguers’ Informal Discussion Group will be meeting on Friday, June 19,1992from 530 to 630 p.m. Please send topics for the agenda to: Marilyn Geller Serials and Acquisitions Services R w m 14E-2104 Massachusetts Institute of Technology i7 Massachwtts Avenue Cambridge, M A 02139-4307 Internet: Fax b:(6171 253-2464 REPORT OF THE NASIG SELF-PUBLISHING TASK FORCE Danny Jones, Chair Buzzy Basch Rosanna O”ei1 CHARGE This Task Force was established out of concern that we examine all options available to NASIG prior to signing our next Proceedings contract. In the past year, a Boarddirected group conducted an assessment of existing publishers and determined that Haworth was the most suitable choice to produce NASIG‘s 6th proceedings. We have not yet asswed what it would mean to NASIG to be its own publisher for the proceedings. Accordingly, and as pan of an ongoing assessment the organization will make from time to time about its publishing efforts, the Board has requested that such a possibility be thoroughly examined. QUESTIONS & ANSWERS me questions were included in the Task Force charge; the answers are supplied by the Task Force,] “What level of effort is now sustained by NASIG in producing the Haworth proceedings? What services and values does the publisher add to the proceedings on NASIG‘s behalf! Repon the time expended, number of people, tasks performed and percentage of the 'finished product" currently contributed by NASIG and the publisher." The current level of effort devoted to the NASIG proceedings is significant. The annual meting is carefully planned and coordinated to produce a high quality program. The intellectual content of the program is shaped by the editors and workshop recorders over a period of 6-8 weeks following the meeting into a manuscript which is delivered to the publisher. The publisher then produces, markets and distributes the printed proceedings. Level of Effort (According to Patricia 0.Rice, pre-1991): The editor contributed eight weeks full-time effort. lkoco-editors contributed approximately 4 weeks full-time effort (over a &week period). The indexer mntnbuted 2 weeks full-time effort in December after the galleys were ready. Approximately 50 hours of secretarial support was required. Level of effort reported by Sulanne McMahon 1991: Editing: 220 hours Value added by the Publisher (Production from manuscript provided by editor): Layout, Graphics, Printing, Binding, Storage, Marketing, Order Fulfillment 'What does it currently cost NASIG to produce the proceedings under contract with Haworth? Volunteer labor? Paid labor? (transcribing, keying, indexing)" The major cost carried by NASIG is for editing the proceedings volume with a small outlay for word processing and postage (S2oO-SXXl). At present the editing effort is wholly contributed or supported by the editor's institution. Workshop recorders are paid $50 to prepare summary reports for the published proceedings. Thus, we spend approximately $1200 annually on the proceedings. An outside estimate for contracting these editorial senices would be $6,OOO-$lO,MK). 'What are the sales revenues from Haworth, year by year?" 2 As reported by Haworth Press: Proceedings Copies Revenues lst(1986) 2nd(1987) 3rd(1988) 4th(1989) 5th(1990) TOTAL This represents the bulk of the sales of the proceedings. NASIG receives royalties only on the special edition for separate sale. Ulrich's reports the current circulation of the Serials Librarian as 931, so the majority of the proceedings have been distributed as a result of our a&lition with this journal, not through sales at the conference or direct sales of the special edition. 'What tasks does NASIG have to pick up in order to be the full proceedings publisher?" NASIG currently provides all the editorial and intellectual content and indexing. NASIG would have to pick up the full production, marketing and distniution of the proceedings in order to be the full publisher. Specifically: negotiate a printing contract specifying size, type, paper, covers, binding and deliveT, provide storage space for the proceedings; establish a fulfillment address; identify personnel to receive and fulfill orders, and acmunt for income; market the proceedings once the distribution mechanism is established. 'How would NASIG monitor any work being contracted out? Sign contracts? A new committee? What sort?" NASIG is a small organization with no paid staff and no 'home" address, essentially relying on volunteer efforts to accomplish our objectives. At the broader level, not just for the purposes of publishingthe proceedings, it might be appropriate to consider engaging the services of an association management firm to handle some of the business of the organization. To totally self-publish, NASIG would have to increase reliance on volunteer effort either through a committee, o r by an individual, as with the editor. "Howwould NASIG ensure indexing and abstracting, particularly in Literature?' We have been assured that the printed NASIG proceedings will continue to be indexed by Literature and If NASIG self-publishes,we would need to provide them with a copy of the proceedings. Librarv Literature informed us that they have no plans to index electronic publications. 'Could self-publishingenergy be sustained over time?" This is difficult to answer. Academic rewards may be enough incentive to continue to attract the caliber of volunteers needed to edit the proceedings. But the more mundane activities, such as marketing and distribution, do not carry the same level of recognition among academics, nor d o they necessarily provide the same level of p e r s ~ n a slatisfaction. The Board is probably in a better position to judge if there is sufficient energy among the membership to move to self-publishing and continue it. "List the pros and cons of moving to selfpublishing.' PROS: -Gain experience of being a publisher. -Control over ownership of the proceedings. -Greatercontrol over the timeframe for publishing. -Eliminates the ethical concern some have voiced about dual publication. -Provides additional opportunities for member participation. C O N S -Major cash outlays for printing, etc are necessary before the first volume is distributed and there is no guarantee the investment will be recovered -Complexity of the organization would increase. -Lossof the economies of scale associated with dual publication of the proceedings, i.e. as a special issue of a journal with a guaranteed subscription base, as well as a special edition for separate sale. -Divides membership and leadership interest between program and proceedings publishing. NASIG PROCEEDINGS OPTIONS The name and the charge of the Task Force focused on self-publishing. However, the charge clearly lefi room for considering other options, so the Task Force would like to propose what we see as the full range of options which the NASIG Board should consider regarding its proceedings. SELF-PUBLISHING OPTIONS OPTION 1: Under this option NASIG would continue to provide volunteer editing of the proceedings; allowing the editor $1000 in expenses. Layout would be done by a volunteer using Aldus Pagemaker purchased by NASIG to produce the camera ready copy shipped to the printer (SloOO). A proceedings printer such as Omnipress in Madison, Wisconsin would print and bind 400 copies (8"x ll", paper cover, perfectbind) and ship them to a volunteer fulfillment office (S4Mo). Marketing of the proceedings would be handled by a committee of NASIG at a minimum cost of $1000. Upfrontcost: WOO Cost/vol.: $21.25 OPTION 2 (Cost figures pending and subject to revision 12/18): Under this option, production of the proceedings would be handled as above, but the fulfillment would be given to an association management firm such as the Resource Center in Wheat Ridge, Colorado. Upfront cost: lO,5OO Costh,01.: $27.25 OPTION 3: Under this option, editing would be provided by NASIG's volunteer editors and the manuscript would then be turned over to Allen Press. Allen Press would handle layout, production and fulfillment, and would list the proceedings in their catalog. Upfront cost: Paper cover $11,000 Cloth cover $14.000 costhrol.: OTHER OPTIONS Paper cover $27.50 Cloth cover $35.00 OPTION 1: Continue as before with the proceedings being published by Haworth. This is clearly the easiest option since we already have the working relationships established and there have been few problems. It may be one of the least expensive options. OPTION 2: Discontinuepublishing the proceedingscompletely. Sales of the proceedings have been modest and, in comparison to the contributed costs, the income from sales has been inconsequential. The quality and topicality of most of the papers presented at a NASIG meeting is of such a high standard that they could be published in any number of existing professional journals. OPTION 3 Discontinue publishing theproceedings and expand the Newsletter coverage of the papers presented at the meeting. This option was suggested by Bob Sherrill (University of Chicago Press) who reported that SSP has taken this approach. OPTION 4 Consider the offer of Pierian Press to publish the NASIG plenary sessions as an issue of Serials B.Pierian would publish a full issue containing NASIG papers but would not dual publish the proceedings (i.e. both as a journal issue and as a monograph), although they would overprint the issue so it may be purchased separately. They would offer an honorarium in the range of S600 if NASIG provided the current level of editing. But, they would retain the right to a final editing to make sure the articles are consistent with Pierian Press standards. They are very flexible on copyright and do not require a formal contract They only expect 'first serial publication rights" and the authors retain ownership of their work. OPTION 5: The Electronic Alternative. The September 1991 NASIG Newsletter report from the e-mail task force identifies a significant opportunity to implement an electronic alternative to the printed proceedings. A major drawback of going the electronic route. however, is the question of indexing by Libraw Literature. For the present, they have no plans to begin indexing electronic publications. Certainly another drawback is the relatively low (but ever increasing) number of people who have a c e s to the networks. OPTION 6 Publish the proceedings as a monograph. There are three established publishers which might be interested in publishing the proceedings as a monograph JAI Press, Scarecrow Press, and Learned Information. RECOMMENDATIONS Continue the publication of the proceedings; they show a record of substantive programming by NASIG. Continue publishing with an existing publisher rather than self-publiih. The Task Force members feel strongly that NASIG does not have the staff needed to maintain a self-publishing effort. The proceedings editors should be paid an honorarium by NASIG. Explore the offer from Pierian Press. If the decision is to stay with Haworth Press, ask for a three-year contract, consider waiving royalty income in favor of an honorarium of S S ~ $ l O O Oannually for providing intellectual content and editorial expertise. Ask Haworth to allow at least three months for editorial work. Regardless of the publisher, retain electronic format rights to NASIG. Speaker contracts with a publication clause should be considered in the future. A A L T CONFERENCE The Annual Conferenceof the Alberta Association of Library Technicians will be held May 28-31. 1992 at the University of Lethbridge. For further information, please contact: Olive Batchelor, Chair, AALT '92, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, AB, T l K 3M4; 403329-2269: FAX: 403-329-2022 C O U N C I L CONFERENCE OF B I O L O G Y E D I T O R S The Council of Biology Editors will be meeting from May 9 to 12, 1992 at the Westin William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh, P A The theme of the conference is 'Science :W h o Pays? W h o Profits?" For additional information about the program contact Martha Brooke, Program Chair, at 503-750-7449. CORRECTION TO THE DECEMBER 1991 NEWSLGITER The correct address information for Kenneth Field, Provincial Representative for Ontario, is as follows: Kenneth C Field Catalogue (Serials) & Microfilm Librarian Trent University T.J. Bata Library Peterborough, ON K9J 7B8 CANADA Phone: 705-748-1565 Internet: March 30-April 2, 1992 UKSG Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland April 12-14.1992 ACRL National Conference Salt Lake City, UT May 9-12, 1992 Council of Biology Editors Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA May 15-21, 1992 Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C May 28-31.1992 Alberta Association of Library Technicians Annual Conference, University of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada June 6-11.1992 Special Libraries Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA June 11-14,1992 Canadian Library Association Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, Manitoba June 18-21.1992 NASIG 7th Annual Conference, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL June 1&20,1992 Society for Scholarly Publishing 14th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL June 27July 2, 1992 ALA Annual Conference San Francixo, C A Aug. MSept. 5, 1992 IFLA Annual Conference New Delhi, India Sept. 13-17, 1992 LITA National Conference Denver, CO NASIG COMMITTEE VOLUNTEER FORM There may be vacancies on NASIG committees for terms beginning June 1992 If you would like to serve on a NASIG committee, please fill out this form and indicate your committee preference: Bylaws, Continuing Education, Finance, Nominations & Elections, Professional Liaisons, Directory & Database, Electronic Publications, Newsletter, Regional Councils & Membership, and Student Grant. Why are you interested in serving on this committee? What qualifications or previous experience do you have for serving on this committee? IFYOU ARE INTERESTEDIN VOLUNTEERING FOR A NASIG COMMI?TEE, PLEASE COMPLETE THIS FORM AND RETURN IT BY MAY 15,1992 T O

This is a preview of a remote PDF: https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1037&context=nasig

April 1992, NASIG Newsletter, 1992,