March 2005

NASIG Newsletter, Dec 2005

Published on 03/01/05

A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.

Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1099&context=nasig

March 2005

NEWSLETTER Conf Site 0 1 0 East Central University Linsheid Library 1100 E. 14th Ada , Oklahoma 74820-6999 USA Phone: (580) 310-5564 Fax: (580) 436-3242 , USA 1 Indiana University School of Library and Information Science Indianapolis Indianapolis , Indiana 46214 USA Phone: (317) 278-2401 , USA - TABLE OF CONTENTS 16 18 18 19 PRESIDENT’S CORNER Steve Savage, NASIG President NASIG’s usual, pre-ALA Midwinter Board meeting was held in Boston, and as always, its agenda was very full. Some of the highlights of the meeting include: progress on the financial plan, conclusion of a collaborative agreement with UKSG, new online developments with memberships and conference registration, and progress on the 2005 conference program and local arrangements. FINANCIAL PLAN UPDATE Beverley Geer, Denise Novak, Mary Page, Jill Emery, and I met at the University of Houston on Dec. 3 to work through the myriad of factors and decisions necessary to compile a financial plan for NASIG. The meeting was extremely productive. Since early December, the results of the meeting were written up as a comprehensive plan which the Board is now studying and finalizing. We should have a final version of it ready before the results of the dues proposal on this year’s ballot are known in midMarch. The plan depends on the dues proposal being passed. If that does happen, a copy of it will be placed in NASIGWeb for members to read, and its complex implement phase may begin immediately. If the dues proposal does not pass, the current year’s budget will have to be revised immediately in order to cut approximately $45,000 in expenses—which is slightly more than 50% of the budget! The financial plan will also then have to go back to the drawing board in order to completely overhaul it for the large decrease in anticipated income. UKSG “SERIALS eNEWS” FOR NASIG MEMBERS A year ago, the Board began working out an arrangement with UKSG that will provide NASIG members with a new, convenient source of information about developments within the serials community. This threeyear trial agreement was finally completed this January. As a result, the first issue of the new North American edition of UKSG’s Serials eNews will be available to NASIG members soon. Unlike our newsletter, which is primarily an internal, organizational tool, the UKSG newsletter is oriented toward the serials community at large. The new edition of Serials eNews will be available only to NASIG members, via a link to each new issue which will be distributed through NASIG-L. To tailor this edition to NASIG members’ immediate interests, all North American information will appear first, and NASIG will contribute articles several times each year. NEW AND IMPROVED ONLINE SERVICES The Online Registration Team (ORT) and the Database & Directory Committee (D&D) have been working very hard for several months on a lengthy, complex project that will provide new and helpful services for memberships and conference registrations. The first phase of this project created online membership functions which allow people to submit forms online with credit card payment for new memberships or annual renewals. This will make joining and renewing much easier for members, and will greatly streamline related processing tasks by D&D and the treasurer. It will also make meeting the annual Jan. 31st deadline for the member rate for conference registration much easier. The second phase of ORT’s large-scale project consists of making several enhancements to the online conference registration system. Among other changes, the system now will automatically check a registrant’s membership status to verify whether or not the person is eligible for the member rate. Previously, the conference registrar had to look up each registrant in the membership directory manually in order to verify membership. This enhancement will eliminate many hours of tedious work for both the registrar and the treasurer. A PLETHORA OF WEBSITES FOR OUR CONFERENCE The Program Planning Committee is in the process of producing another intriguing program for our upcoming conference, and the Conference Planning Committee is making excellent onsite and online arrangements for it. Meanwhile, the Anniversary Task Force has been working with PPC and CPC to include interesting and fun activities celebrating our 20th anniversary. With all of this going on, it is not surprising that we have reached the stage where we now have three websites related to the conference. These sites are briefly described below. (Maybe one anniversary exhibit should be how far our conference brochures, registration methods, and room and travel arrangements have come during these 20 years. After all, NASIG’s website was still so new 10 years ago that our Newsletter was still being published online using gopher technology—does anyone still remember what that was?--and websites, of course, did not even exist 20 years ago!) CONFERENCE WEBSITE. Our conference website is created and maintained by our Conference Planning Committee. You can find this site’s homepage by clicking on the link, “2005 NASIG Conference Web Site,” located in the middle of the NASIGWeb home page, or go directly to it at: http://www.nasig.org/conference/2005.htm This site contains the conference program itself and information about it, hotel information, information about local Minneapolis transportation options, Minneapolis weather forecasts, options for traveling to Minneapolis, and much more. The conference website also includes links to other important sites. One is our online bulletin board. This can be used to find a roommate if you prefer to share a room, or simply to discuss plans for the conference. Another link found on our conference website will take you to the conference blog, which will be used to disseminate news about the conference just prior to it and during it. The conference website also includes a link to the conference registration website and the hotel reservation website. CONFERENCE REGISTRATION WEBSITE. Updated annually by our Online Registration Team, this site is used for registering for the annual conference itself. (Hotel reservations require a separate website; see below for more about this.) It is available from a link within the “Registration” tab near the top of the conference website’s opening screen. In order to register for the conference at the member rate, you will need to enter your NASIG membership number and the email address you use for NASIG business in the online registration form. NASIG has always used membership numbers “behind the scenes” only, so few of us have ever been aware that these numbers even exist. Nevertheless, finding your membership number is easy. The opening screen of the online registration system includes an option to have your membership number emailed to you immediately by the system. When I recently used this option to receive my number, the automatic message containing appeared in my e-mail inbox in only a few seconds, so the process should work smoothly and very quickly for everyone. HOTEL RESERVATION WEBSITE. This site has been created by the Hilton national corporate offices and is devoted solely to making room reservations at the Hilton Minneapolis & Towers for our conference. Using this site should ensure that you receive our greatly discounted room rate. A link to this hotel website is available from the “Hotel” tab of our conference website. (If you make your reservation by phone instead, be sure to use the Hilton’s code designating our conference; this is the only way the reservation staff will know you should receive our discounted room rate. This code can be found on our conference website.) CPC and the Board have arranged for Northwest to be the Preferred Airline for our conference this year. The arrangement provides two advantages for NASIG. Individuals will receive a discount ranging from 3-15%, and after the conference, NASIG will receive one free roundtrip ticket for every 30 tickets booked by travelers through this special arrangement. (These free tickets will be used for 2006 conference student grants and awards, in order to reduce NASIG’s conference expenses to help keep the registration fee as low as possible.) To obtain the discount through this arrangement, you may make your reservation by phone call to Northwest, through a Northwest ticketing agent, or a travel agent. (Northwest’s website is not equipped to accept the Worldfile code necessary to obtain the discounts from our arrangement.) This code, Northwest’s toll-free phone number and hours, and further details are available on our conference website. (Be sure to note that this Northwest code is not the same as the Hilton code!) As if working on one large scale conference at a time were not enough, our Site Selection Committee has been working hard for months to find venues for future conferences. We are very pleased to announce that we have chosen the Marriott Denver City Center as the site for next year’s conference, to be held May 2-5, 2006. With these and many more topics to discuss, and the work of 23 committees and task forces to review, eight hours is simply no longer sufficient for a Board meeting. Even the two-day meeting last fall was not enough time for everything that needed attention then. Consequently, the Board has decided that a fourth meeting is needed each Date, Time: Jan. 13, 2005, 8:17 a.m.-5:17 p.m. Place: Room 88, Snell Library, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts Attending: Officers: Steve Savage, President Anne McKee, Past President Mary Page, Vice-President/President-Elect Denise Novak, Treasurer Elizabeth Parang, Secretary Members-at-Large: Jill Emery Beverley Geer Judy Luther Kevin Randall Stephanie Schmitt Joyce Tenney Ex-officio member: Charlene Simser, NASIG Newsletter Editor-in-Chief Guests: Linda Hulbert, Co-Chair, 2005 Conference Planning Committee Marilyn Geller and Emily McElroy, Co-Chairs, 2005 Program Planning Committee EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES Elizabeth Parang, NASIG Secretary year. Another in-person meeting is simply too expensive for our budget, however, even if the dues proposal is passed. So we will experiment with holding a Board meeting via conference call in March. The cost for this was surprisingly low: about $60 per hour for a 12-person conference call. This scenario will be difficult for certain types of work or topics. With adequate preparation by all Board members prior to a call, however, it may work well for very focused agendas. If this experiment is successful, we may eventually replace one of each years’ in-person meetings with a series of focused conference call meetings held within a short span of time. Otherwise, we may eventually investigate online conference technology. While this technology may work better for more involved, longer meetings, it is also much more expensive and involves more thorny technological factors. With the Board juggling all of these issues and many more, I am looking forward to the chance to focus on just the conference during the last few weeks before we meet soon in Minneapolis. See you then and there! Savage called the meeting to order at 8:17 a.m., welcomed Board members, and reviewed the rules of procedure. Board liaisons to committees will not repeat information included in written committee reports, only present additional information or lead discussion of points raised by committees. 2.0 Secretary’s Report (Parang) 2.1 Board actions since Board meeting 10-29-04: Reimbursements for approved expenses (those covered by the reimbursement policy) related to attending Board meetings will only be made for requests received by the treasurer within 30 days from the end of the Board meeting for which the expenses were incurred. This applies to all Board meeting attendees (not just Board members). 11-3-04: Board approved the minutes of the October 2004 Board meeting. 11-9-04: Board endorsed publication of a supplemental Newsletter issue in midsummer to catch the annual committee reports and other loose ends so the conference reports continue to be a highlight of the September issue. 11-16-04: Randall moved, Tenney seconded, and the Board voted unanimously to modify the ballot measure about raising dues that was decided on during the recent Board meeting to: 1. Add the dues for Canada of $60 USD and for Mexico of $18 USD. 2. Specify the $75 USD amount is for U.S. members. 11-17-04: Randall moved, Emery seconded, and the Board voted unanimously to add a measure to the next ballot proposing that dues for members outside North America be raised to $75 USD. 11-19-04: The Board endorsed “NASIG Champion” as the name of the new award that will be given every 5 years. 11-19-04: Board enthusiastically endorsed the PPC conference programming and schedule recommendations. 12-17-04: The Board approved the recommendation of the search committee to appoint Elna Saxton (Head, Serials & Electronic Resources, University Libraries, University of Cincinnati) as co-editor of the 2005 Proceedings. 2.2 Action items from June and October Board meetings The Board reviewed action items completed, in process, or postponed. Savage commented on the favorable nature of the contract with the Denver Marriott for the 2006 conference. Novak reminded everyone that the treasurer needs a copy of all contracts. Simser stated that the Newsletter is not getting much information from the Continuing Education Committee, either as news stories or for the Calendar. 3.0 Treasurer’s Report (Novak) Novak will meet with A.G. Edwards Investments in February to get ideas about alternate investments and will subsequently meet with other investment firms. Novak projected 2004 will come in $10,000 under the approved budget. Savage stated the 2005 budget as approved in October had been modified by the addition of money for the two new awards and other small adjustments. ACTION: Novak will allocate printing/stuffing costs for ballots equally between the Nominations & Elections Committee and the Bylaws Committee. DATE: When all billing is received. Novak reported that a number of reimbursement checks are outstanding. She will request a Finance Committee member be assigned to contact those persons with outstanding checks. ACTION: Novak will stop payment on checks with dates older than 2003. DATE: ASAP 4.0 Conference Planning Committee (Hulbert, Savage) Hulbert noted an oversized postcard would be used to advertise the conference. ACRL has offered a space at their spring conference to advertise the NASIG Annual Conference. Due to costs and past difficulties with Internet connections, PPC has convinced all presenters not to use live Internet connections. CPC/PPC will be using a “staff” room available at a discounted rate and will have an Internet connection costing $10 per day for registration and other vital uses. The Hilton has set up a separate registration website for NASIG conference attendees; it is linked from the conference website. The Board should test the conference registration page before that page goes live. ACTION: Treasurer and PPC co-chairs must approve conference registration page. DATE: Before it goes live The bus for those needing assistance getting to the evening events will cost $219 per day. Hulbert noted the contract is in the mail to Savage. The Board agreed the opening session author may sell books and sign them if he wants but must handle all money himself. The jazz band playing at the evening event may sell CDs if they choose. As agreed at the October board meeting, in lieu of arranging tours, the conference website will include links to commercial tour companies. The poster sessions will be staffed during the morning breaks but will be available for viewing all day on Friday and Saturday. PPC is planning on eight poster session participants. The Board endorsed the idea of a souvenir clipboard. The NWA contract gives NASIG one free seat for every 30 tickets sold. NASIG members will be offered tickets at discounts ranging from 5-15% depending on carrier (NWA, KLM, Continental) and number of days in advance. NWA will provide a code and stipulates that approved text must be used to advertise the offer. The vendor demo session is not yet set. Vendors do pay for their own Internet connections. The light rail system is now operating from the airport to downtown and to the Mall of America. The Internet bulletin board is online and the conference bloggers are ready to go. 4.1 Conference budget The conference budget is based on 550 registrants paying $375 each for a total of $206,250. Novak noted that taxexempt status has not yet been confirmed but will actually affect few items. She reminded the conference planners that NASIG has an account with a major office supplier that gives a substantial discount. 4.2 Preconference budget Preconferences will have significant costs for handouts. McKee moved (Emery seconded) and the Board unanimously approved setting the full-day preconference fee at $120 for members and $145 for nonmembers and setting the half-day preconference fee at $75 for members and $90 for nonmembers. 4.3 Drawing for quilt Martha Burke has volunteered to create a quilt to be used as a prize for a drawing as a fundraiser. She will make the quilt from t-shirts from all of the past conferences but needs to have the t-shirts by February 1, 2005. McKee moved (Emery seconded) to create a quilt with the t-shirts held by the archivist after they have been photographed. Savage modified the motion (Emery seconded) to include digital photographing of all souvenirs. The Board unanimously approved the amended motion. ACTION: Seymour-Green, archivist, will ship t-shirts to Novak for photographing. Novak will then send the disc with the digital photographs to the ECC cochairperson/web spinner, David Burke. DATE: ASAP so that t-shirts can be forwarded to Martha Burke by Feb. 1, 2005. 5.0 Program Planning (Geller, McElroy, Page) The program is set except for one session. January 31, 2005, is the final date for all modifications. Fifty-nine speakers have been scheduled. NASIG will reimburse for 26-1/2 registrations, provide 29 hotel nights, and pay for 12 travelers. Reservations must be made 28 days in advance, and PPC specified the exact date on confirmation letters. Reimbursement costs for speakers should be about the same as last year. The Board discussed “networking nodes—what are they?” and decided to change the name back to informal discussion groups. Next the Board discussed user groups. Geller reported that service providers had inquired about holding groups. The Board determined that any full conference attendee could organize a user group for any product or service. Such groups must contain no sales or marketing but should simply be a group of users getting together. At the Hilton, people will be able to take lunches into rooms, and the hotel could set up rooms with lunches if they know in advance how many would be attending a meeting. The Board expressed gratitude to the committee for a great program. ACTION: Add SSP (Society for Scholarly Publishing) to the list of where the publicist should send the call for presentations for future conferences. DATE: ASAP The Board considered the question as to whether the Proceedings editors should be made ex-officio members of PPC. Geller indicated this probably was not desirable due to the vast quantities of email and discussion and the confidentiality of many discussions. ACTION: Proceedings editors must communicate deadlines to PPC chairs for inclusion in letters to presenters. DATE: At the appropriate time before the annual conference. 5.1 Rating Chart to evaluate presenter’s effectiveness on a variety of quantitative and objective factors in addition to the evaluation by session attendees. Geller presented a template allowing yes/no responses that could be used to create a database of 3-5 years (rolling) of information for the use of CEC and PPC chairs with aid from the vice president (liaison to PPC) and treasurer. Emery moved (McKee seconded) that the Board accept a trial to be seen by PPC chairs, the liaison (the vice president), treasurer, and president, using the template provided by the PPC chairs to provide quantitative objective evaluation of speakers. The motion passed unanimously. 6.0 Committee Reports 6.1 Archives No report submitted 6.2 Awards & Recognition ACTION: Tenney will communicate the Board’s request to change the wording of the ballot, deleting “Currently reads” so that it is clear the bylaws are not being changed. The ballot should also indicate the changed dues structure would go into affect for 2006 memberships (effective 7/1/05 for new and renewing members) 6.4 Continuing Education The committee report covered all necessary topics; no additional discussion during the Board meeting was necessary. 6.5 Database and Directory Emery emphasized that 78% of renewals mailed out had been returned and processed. Erlandson will step down as chair because of work commitments. Jo McClamroch will replace her as chair. The chair should create a list of skills necessary to be chair. Randall moved (McKee seconded) that due to the unforeseen circumstance of the chair’s resignation, the Board accept the D&D Committee’s recommendation to immediately stop printing the Membership Directory and provide only the PDF version. The Board had previously decided to eliminate the print version next year; eliminating the print now will greatly ease the new chairperson’s assumption of duties mid-year. The motion passed unanimously. ACTION: Remove all mention of the printed directory from the online renewal form. DATE: ASAP ACTION: directory. DATE: At the beginning of February each year. Archivist must print a copy of the online D&D must send information to the Nominations & Elections Committee explaining how to check the PDF version of the Directory for current membership status. 6.6 Electronic Communications The Board agreed to ask the ECC to investigate the cost for Bee.net to handle select functions of the ECC such as adding and removing people from lists. 6.6.1 Training at conference/restructuring of ECC Restructuring must occur before training. Every NASIG committee now has technology needs. The Board must consider the question: Should we have a periodic committee review procedure to make sure each committee is still relevant and operating? In addition to a publications overseer, a technology overseer could also be useful. The Board may schedule a conference call to further discuss this topic. All committee chairs could be asked to meet together before the Denver conference and discuss the possibility. ACTION: Savage will ask each committee to submit a list of its technology involvement. DATE: Before annual conference. 6.7 Evaluation and Assessment The addendum, Recommendations for future evaluation process, was the result of the committee’s brainstorming. To date, conference evaluation has been mostly the compilation of raw data without summary assessment, evaluation, or comparison with previous years. The Strategic Support Task Force is looking at online voting software, some of which would also do surveys. Savage will consider appointing a task force to look at software with members from E&A plus Merle Steeves who is interested in this topic. ACTION: Page will appoint a group of former PPC and CPC members along with a Board member to look over the evaluation form and determine what is needed as a starting point for revision. (Geer volunteered to be the Board member) DATE: ASAP as the review must be finished by Feb. 28, 2005. Novak stated the E&A Committee should not FedEx the evaluations to the Board members. 6.8 Newsletter Simser reported that Pam Cipkowski is stepping down as copy editor after the May conference. Simser is nearing the term limit as Editor-in-Chief; her term ends postconference 2006. She will review the position description for Editor-in-Chief and make recommendations to incoming President Mary Page on preferred and required skills for the position. 6.9 Nominations and Elections ACTION: McKee will ask Wesley, the chair of N&E, to write an article for the Newsletter about the candidate selection process. A question arose as to whether a member of the N&E committee can be added to the ballot as a petition candidate. Current committee guidelines clearly state committee members cannot run for any Board position. Because this does not specify any means by which a member cannot run, these guidelines are interpreted to mean a member cannot run for any Board position by any means (nominee, write-in, or petition). McKee volunteered to check Robert’s Rules to see if this situation is covered. 6.10 Proceedings Editor overlap is helpful. The Board should consider twoyear appointments but must determine if this would reduce the number of volunteers. 6.11 Professional liaisons The Association of Subscription Agents is based on agency membership rather than individual membership; Schmitt recommends dropping the professional liaison relationship with this group. The Association of Learned and Society Publishers, the British version of SSP, could be added. As a point of clarity, preference is given to NASIG members, but if none are available, other interested members of the target organization may serve as liaison. The liaison should be a conduit to funnel information in both directions. 6.12 Publications ACTION: Board members should try to review the first NASIGuides and let Emery know if any problems are seen. DATE: As soon as the guides are ready. The NASIG history will be published online only. 6.13 Publicist The publicist’s report covered all necessary topics; no additional discussion during the Board meeting was necessary. Tenney reported the room rate for the 2006 conference in Denver will be $105 a night; the Marriott Denver City Center has a great outdoor area. Savage praised Tenney for negotiating a great contract for the conference to take place May 4-6, 2006. Tenney, Luther, and Page commented on possible sites for future conferences. 7.0 Task Force and Team Reports 7.1 Anniversary Task Force The task force members are busy writing sections of the history. The task force needs someone with HTML skills to put the history on NASIGWeb; an indexer is also needed. The plan is to have the history on the Web just before the conference. ACTION: Emery will check with the Publications Committee for volunteers to create the HTML version of the NASIG history and to index the history. DATE: ASAP 7.3 Online Registration Team The team has not yet turned on the merging of payments. Using the new Membership Database Administrative Tool, member records may be activated/deactivated or purged; the Board endorsed the activate/deactivate option for permanent member records and purging only for database maintenance requirements. Schmitt distributed a screen shot of the Membership Database Administrative Tool and the new online membership form. The Board reviewed the information and made suggestions for change. Of note, members may review their information and send to the Database & Directory Committee requests for change. ACTION: The Board will review the online membership form and membership record display and will respond to Schmitt via the Board list about change requests by January 19, 2005. The online registration team will edit the online resources accordingly. On February 1, 2005, a copy of the membership database will be created. It will be used to verify membership status by the 2005 conference registration form. The conference registration form should go live on March 1, 2005. 7.4 Strategic Support Task Force This task force will be dissolved by the end of January, with its work to date about possible online voting software transferred to the online survey and evaluations task force. Two members of the SSTF will be asked to transfer to this new task force. 7.5 Translators Resource Team The team translated the online membership renewal form and is now translating the strategic plan. 7.6 Mentoring Task Force Overlap among chairs is desirable; Savage and Page will try to appoint at least one new member as soon as possible to provide some continuity into next year. 7.7 Online Survey and Evaluation Task Force ACTION: Schmitt will put together information and contact people about serving on the OSETF. 8.0 New Business 8.1 Financial Plan A five-person team met in Houston and came up with great ideas for a financial plan. The plan is predicated on the dues proposal passing so that recurring expenses are covered by recurring income. One-time income (including conferences) should be used for one-time expenses such as building reserves. Reserves should be equivalent to the current year’s operating budget, which increases every year. The team also recommends having a reserve of one year’s conference budget because insurance only covers contractual obligations. The Board will consider doing away with the Finance Committee and substituting a Development Committee to deal with issues such as fundraising, endowment, and income generating. The treasurer would continue to look at investment opportunities. ACTION: Page will assist Savage with finishing the first draft of the financial plan document. ACTION: The Board will discuss the financial plan further in February. ACTION: Luther will assist in selecting a continuing education sub-task force to investigate income-generating continuing education. The ORT is creating technology to allow members to contribute to NASIG. The Development Committee would decide how to word the form. The treasurer will have to set up an additional savings account and set up accounting procedures. ACTION: Publicize dues increase issue by starting a discussion on a bulletin board; let members know about the discussion via NASIG-L. Board members expressed a desire to have the ballot counted by a disinterested third party. ACTION: Novak will check with the NASIG accountants to see if they would count the dues change ballots; if not, Tarango should locate someone. 8.2 UKSG Serials-eNews 8.2.1 Revised agreement has been emailed to Savage. Advertisements will be omitted from the version sent to the U.S., and North American information will appear first. 8.2.2 NASIG Contributions Although the agreement contains no specifics as to what the contributions would be, examples of types of information to be contributed include emerging trends in the U.S. and thoughtful essays on the serials community not just NASIG. A Board member could act as liaison to solicit contributions or the responsibility could be merged into the Publications Committee. ACTION: Emery will discuss with the chairs of the Publications Committee the possibility of accepting responsibility for creating contributions to the UKSG Serials-eNews. ACTION: Savage will write the first NASIG contributed article to the UKSG Serials-eNews. NASIG will pay $1500 annually to obtain access to the UKSG Serials-eNews for all NASIG members. Although Savage is signing a three-year agreement, the agreement can be terminated after one year if the UKSG SerialseNews is not as anticipated. The UKSG Serials-eNews is distributed electronically. A link will be placed on the members only portion of NASIGWeb and access will be publicized on NASIG-L. 8.3 Chairs manual Tenney is working on a draft of a chairs manual that will include links, documents, forms, timelines and information on the chairs connection to the NASIG Newsletter, archives, ECC, publicist, and treasurer. 8.4 Confidentiality statements ACTION: Chairs manual must contain a reminder of the confidentiality of discussions and the necessity to remind committee members. A paragraph in appointment letters will reinforce the confidential nature of discussions. 8.5 Possibility of a fourth Board meeting every year by conference call or via the Internet. The need for a fourth Board meeting per year was discussed. Board members agreed that the existing schedule of meetings is no longer sufficient; time for lengthy discussion of new or difficult issues is particularly lacking. The budget cannot support an additional inperson Board meeting each year, however, so this year we will experiment with holding a Board meeting in March 2005 via a conference call. To be successful, the meeting should concentrate on one or two specific topics, such as how to restructure committees, finalizing the financial plan, etc. NASIG’s finances continue to remain stable. The balance sheet below reflects our income and assets as of January 2005. Current assets are $213,120.86. This includes 186,761.55 in bank balances and $57,946.99 in the investment accounts. Balance Sheet (Includes unrealized gains) As of 1/8/05 ASSETS Cash and Bank Accounts Charles Schwab-Cash CHECKING-264 SAVINGS-267 TOTAL Cash and Bank Accounts Balance TREASURER’S REPORT JANUARY 2005 Denise Novak, NASIG Treasurer ACTION: Page will propose dates for a fourth Board meeting via email. 8.6 Follow-up to SSP proposal from October Board meeting. The Board revisited October Ivins’ request for mentors for SSP members and other ways to expand mentoring activities outside the annual conference, i.e., new librarians, those changing jobs. Savage reported this would need a new task force/committee with a new chair because the current mentoring task force only wants to deal with conference mentoring. ACTION: Schmitt will redistribute the SSP proposal for the Board members to read, reflect on, and make comments. Publishers can become NASIG members and organize a discussion group at the annual conference. Other possibilities would be to create a “Best Practices” document for small publishers or create a continuing education program. The Board Meeting adjourned at 5:17 p.m. Investments Charles Schwab TOTAL Investments TOTAL ASSETS LIABILITIES & EQUITY Liabilities Equity TOTAL LIABILITIES & EQUITY NASIG 2005 BUDGET A&R Bylaws CEC ECC E&A NASIG 2005 BUDGET (cont.) Finance N&E Proceedings Publicist Publications Conf Prog Plan 75 9,230 9,305 500 1,000 1,000 *mail service 500 FROM THE EDITOR NEWSLETTER NEWS Char Simser, Editor-in-Chief The 2004 budget has been closed. Committees have done a very good job of watching expenses. Over $81,000 was budgeted, and the final budget figures are approximately $10,000 less than that. This includes all committee activity such as the Membership Directory, and Awards & Recognition Committee and Continuing Education Committee expenses. NASIG Budget Expenditures 1/1/04 Through 12/31/04 Admin-Board Expenses Awards & Recognition Archives By-Laws Conference 2005 One of the responsibilities of the Newsletter Editor-inChief (EiC) is to plan for upcoming issues of the NASIG Newsletter and to determine a schedule for the dissemination of information that is timely for the membership. This EiC realized in late fall last year that the occurrence of NASIG’s annual conference in mid-May was going to play havoc with the Newsletter’s regular production schedule. June issue = May 1 deadline for submission. Committee Annual Reports due May 1 to board (normally published in June) Conference + travel time = May 17-22 EiC = May 21-23, daughter’s h.s. graduation & activities Editorial Board = copy editing, HTML and PDF production occur May 8-31 (board members may be AT the conference, meaning potential delays in production) Hmmm….I was getting headaches just thinking about meeting a June 1 publication deadline. So, what did I do? Serialists, don’t shoot me!! I advised the Executive Board that the Newsletter would change its frequency (argh!) and produce a fifth “special” issue midsummer. (Aren’t you glad we’re e-only now? No forcing your serials check-in system to manage a fifth issue! Okay, informal poll: how many of you are checking in the e-issues?) Continuing Education Conference Planning Site Selection 2006 Electronic Communications Evaluation Finance Nominations & Elections Database & Directory Proceedings Publicist OVERALL TOTAL NASIG is, for the most part, financially stable. As has been stated before, the organization needs to keep an operating reserve in the event of an emergency. An issue in May makes perfect sense: • It provides official and timely reports from the Conference Planning Committee and the Program Planning Committee, which are archived as part of the Newsletter. Reports submitted for a June issue wouldn’t have made much sense since the conference will have passed. • A May issue provides the NASIG President, Steve Savage, the opportunity to wrap up the year as his term ends in May this year. Since the President’s Corner is, well, the sitting president’s column, it would have been strange to have Steve’s last column published during Mary Page’s presidency. That would have been unprecedented! The special summer issue will focus on NASIG committees’ annual reports. These reports provide a timely year-end summary of activities for the membership. It did not seem logical to: 1) ask for those reports a month earlier than normal to meet the May schedule; or 2) to push back publication of the annual reports to the September issue, meaning those reports would already be four months old. Besides, the September issue is the largest published each year because it includes all the conference reports. Those of you using dial-up would not be a happy lot if we added another ten pages to that issue! See you in May! NASIG 20TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE (2005) CPC UPDATE Sue Zuriff and Linda Hulbert, CPC Co-Chairs The 2005 conference at the Minneapolis downtown Hilton hotel is rapidly taking shape. Our informational registration postcards have been mailed, and the website now has a link to program information and conference registration. Hotel registration is available (both online and through an 800 number) as well as airline information. We’ve arranged a scaled discount (depending on how far in advance the reservation is made) with Northwest Airlines. There’s also news on free-time activities (theater, baseball, music) available the weekend of May 19-22. We’re also planning a dinearound on Saturday night—this was a real hit in Milwaukee. Three preconferences have been arranged for Thursday, May 19. They will be held at the University of St. Thomas Law School, which is within walking distance of the hotel. Getting to and from Minneapolis will be a cinch. Getting to and from the airport will be easy: we’ve made arrangements for a shuttle discount. Light rail, as mentioned in the last Newsletter, is also available to the more adventurous—it’s a quick trip to downtown, with one transfer to a bus down Nicollet Mall to the hotel. Conference packet: The bag is really nice: it’s two-toned with the logo imprinted on the white part of the bag. It even has a zipper! Conference opening: We are hoping to have books by Larry Millett, our keynote speaker, available for sale. In addition to his “Lost Twin Cities,” and the Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota mysteries, he has just published a book on Twin Cities sensationalist journalism in the 30s through the 50s: “Strange Days, Dangerous Nights: Photos from the Speed Graphics Era.” The Friday night anniversary bash at the Windows on Minnesota on the 50th floor of the Philip Johnson IDS Tower is pretty much organized, complete with a seated buffet and a celebratory cake. The anniversary task force will be doing retrospective skits, and a local jazz band, the Brass Menagerie, will provide the music. There will be shuttle service for those who need it. The commemorative souvenir t-shirt will be special this year, with the logo on the front and a listing of previous conferences including city, state, and year on the back. We will also have a clipboard for sale. On Thursday, May 19, we will offer a self-guided library tour to three libraries within walking distance of the hotel, as well as give directions to the Campbell-Logan Bindery, also downtown. Greg Campbell has graciously agreed to show people through the bindery. There will no formal tours after the conference. There is information on the website for folks who want to arrange their own tours. We look forward to seeing everyone in Minneapolis—by then the ice should be off the 10,000 lakes! PPC UPDATE Marilyn Geller and Emily McElroy, PPC Co-Chairs The 2005 Program Planning Committee (PPC) is pleased to announce that the conference program has been set and is available on the conference website at http://www.nasig.org/conference/programs.htm. The first vision session will be presented by Marshall Keys, librarian and consultant, on trends in technology and in the market and how these trends impact the libraries of tomorrow. The 20th Anniversary Task Force is planning a special vision session for Saturday morning that will include a panel of NASIG luminaries discussing the influences behind the creation of NASIG. Leif Utne, associate editor of Utne Magazine, is the speaker for the third vision session. He will be talking about the media’s role in democracy and some of the difficult issues facing the publishing industry. Similar to the 2004 conference, strategy and tactics sessions will run concurrently on Friday, and all sessions will be repeated on Saturday. You’ll have the opportunity to choose among a variety of strategy AND/OR tactics sessions on both Friday and Saturday. We will have two sets of strategy sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The first set will feature these presentations: The second set will include: • Dena Schoen, Julia Gammon, Bob Schatz, and Zac Rolnik: “Serials Industry: Truth or Dare” • Oliver Pesch and Alfred Kraemer on “Insuring Consistent Usage Statistics” • Katy Ginanni on “Talk About: E-Resources Librarian to the Rescue? Creating the Über Librarian, Turning Model Job Descriptions into Practical Positions” • Andrew Waller and Gwen Bird on “We Own It: Dealing with “Perpetual Access” in Big Deals • Carol Hixson on “Institutional Repositories.” Here are the tactics sessions from Set 1: • Using Customer Service Software to Manage Serials Online Access Issues • Metadata Management Design • Beyond Article Linking: Using OpenURL in Creative Ways • Binding Journals in Tight Times: Mind the Budget • A Collaborative Checklist for E-Journal Access • Issues in Scholarly Communication: Creating a Campus-wide Dialog. Set 2 will have presentations on: • Adding Value to the Catalog in an Open Access World • Collection Development in Public Libraries • Challenges of Off-Site Library Storage Facilities: Cataloging, Access, and Management of Off-Site Serials • The Big E-Package Deals—Smoothing the Way Through Subscription Agents’ Subscription Cancellation Projects: How to Quiet Some of the Roar • Examining Workflows and Redefining Roles: Auburn University and The College of New Jersey. Set 3 will include sessions on: • AACR3 is Coming: What is It? • Tracking Usage of E-Government Publications • Do You See RSS in Your Future? • Analyzing How Much Publisher Packages Are Worth • Presentations That Keep Your Audience Interested and Awake • Examining the RFP Process. There will be three preconferences to choose from. The first preconference is a full-day session: “Serials Cataloging Cooperative Program (SCCTP) Serials Holding Workshop,” presented by Julie Su and Catherine Nelson. In accordance with SCCTP guidelines, this preconference will be limited to 25 attendees. The course includes background information and brief history of the development of the standards. The instructions and exercises focus on creating MARC holdings and publication patterns. The MARC coding instructions are system-neutral, yet the course includes samples of local system implementation and include time for discussion of local implementation and workflow issues. The second preconference is a panel discussion consisting of Adam Chesler, Kim Maxwell, and Phil Greene on “Serials Esperanto: Helping Librarians, Vendors and Publishers Understand Each Other.” Combining their experiences, the speakers will discuss roles, language, and important issues facing all stakeholders. By taking a more holistic look at the world of scholarly communications, attendees will better grasp the way these partnerships work and how to best manage them going forward. The third preconference, led by Betty J. Kjellberg, will be, “How to Avoid Death by Meeting: Strategies for Better Meetings.” In this highly interactive session, you will learn techniques used by professional facilitators to assure that meeting objectives are met and to encourage active—and appropriate—participation by everyone involved. Be ready to learn truly useful methods that you can apply in any meeting situation and to have fun in the process! Kjellberg has worked with NASIG in several capacities: assisting PPC in the conference redesign and assisting the Executive Board with the 2003 Strategic Plan. Poster sessions will be staffed by the poster presenters on Friday and Saturday mornings from 10-10:30 a.m. during the morning breaks and will be left up during the entire conference. Informal discussion groups (formerly known as networking nodes) will be held Friday afternoon from 4-6 p.m. User group lunches will be held on Saturday from 12:30-2:00 p.m. Due to the popularity at the 2004 conference, a vendor demo will again take place. It will be held on Saturday from 4-6 pm. Please watch the conference website for more information on informal discussion groups, user group lunches, and the vendor demo. The PPC Co-Chairs would like to thank the entire committee for their hard work: Norene Allen, Michael Arthur, Sarah George, Tonia Graves, Joe Harmon, Kittie Henderson, Lee Krieger, Pat Loghry, Paul Moeller, Bonnie Parks, Erika Ripley, Rose Robischon, Allison Sleeman, Virginia Taffurelli, and Dana Walker. We would also like to extend a warm thank you to our superb Board liaison, Mary Page. NASIG PROFILES BOB PERSING Maggie Rioux In May, when you arrive at the NASIG Conference in Minneapolis, take a look around. Someone (the subject of this month’s profile, to be precise) will be missing. Yes, after attending seven straight conferences, Bob Persing won’t be there. Instead, he’ll be busy changing diapers and soothing middle-of-the-night wailing. Bob is skipping this year’s conference to take parental leave following the birth of his and his wife’s first offspring in March, possibly even as you are reading this column. He actually cut short his honeymoon last June in order to attend NASIG, but this time family comes first. How did NASIG get to be so important in the Persing hierarchy? Well, let’s take a look… Bob is one of those folks who, when you look at the history, seem to always have known where he was going and how to get there. He graduated from Yale in 1988, where he had held and enjoyed student jobs in the library and had begun to think about a career in the library field. Since he had been an English major, it was imperative that he develop some saleable skills in order to become employable. Seeking big city life and something closer to the home of his beloved Red Sox, he found a job in a Boston suburb managing a branch store of a discount bookstore chain. But not for long: When an opening appeared at Boston College, he snapped it up and used their tuition-remission program to help get his MLS at Simmons. In line with his bookstore experience, he began in acquisitions at BC and then moved into a position of serials supervisor. After getting his MLS in 1992, he started looking around, heard about a job at Penn, got it, and has been there ever since. Bob says he liked the idea of a big university library, the folks at Penn seemed nice, and the Phillies being in the National League, there was no conflict with his continuing to be part of Red Sox Nation. He started at Penn as assistant head of serials and since 1996 has been head of serials. And how did our highly organized Red Sox fan get involved in NASIG? Well back in 1991, it was his Faxon rep, Deb Jensen (who’s now at the Boston Athenaeum, but unfortunately no longer a NASIG member), who encouraged him to join and also to attend the 1991 San Antonio conference. Several people (especially Susan Davis, per Bob) welcomed him and encouraged him to become involved. It seems to have worked. Since San Antonio, he’s missed only three conferences (Chicago, Vancouver, and Ann Arbor). He’s also been very active in the organization, beginning with serving as Proceedings volume indexer for the 1994 (Vancouver) and 1995 (Durham) conferences and continuing with service on the Program Planning, Nominations & Elections, and Electronic Communications committees (he was co-chair of ECC), and as chair of the Proceedings Publications Task Force. He also served a term on the Executive Board and is now a member of the Bylaws Committee. Whew! Oh, and in his spare time, Bob has co-convened with me the Endeavor Voyager users group meeting at NASIG conferences each year since 1998. Bob Persing doing good and fighting evil at work I asked Bob how he got appointed to Bylaws this year— did he request it or did incoming President Steve Savage tap him for it? He revealed that he actually asked to be appointed to Bylaws, and his explanation read like the responses I got from other members when I was working on the committee profile for the December issue. It’s worth quoting in full: “I asked for Bylaws, because I think this is a time of change for NASIG, and it’s a committee on the front edge of major changes. We just worked on the dues revision proposal this month, for instance, which everyone will be seeing with their ballots. Exciting stuff.” I agree: Go, Bob! Of course, his choice of Bylaws could also relate to his claim that he’d eventually like to serve on every NASIG committee (four down, eight or so to go). Bob and his lovely wife Kathy dressed appropriately in the NASIG line of t-shirt and maternity top And what does our Bob do in his spare time? Based on some of the links on his website (http://pobox.upenn.edu/ Wow! Can you believe it? NASIG is having its 20th conference this year! I wasn’t around for number one, but it seems like only yesterday that we were celebrating the 10th at Duke. And now we’re twice as old. Time sure flies when you’re having fun, doesn’t it? As is usual for an organization (or person) having a birthday with a zero in it, NASIG is taking this opportunity to look back over its history. And, as is also traditional in organizations, it has formed a task force to handle the process. Last fall, NASIG President Steve Savage sought volunteers for the NASIG History Task Force and then appointed a group of five folks plus a Board Liaison. Their charge is to look at NASIG’s past and produce some kind of a document which will give the rest of us (and future NASIGers as well) a look at where we’ve come from in the past twenty years and point out some of the milestones along the way. The members of the task force are Elizabeth Lowe (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville), Peter Picerno (St. Edwards University, Austin Texas), Sara Ranger (University of Houston), Rocki Strader (Ohio State University) and Sheryl Williams (University of Nebraska Medical Center). Sheryl is the chair. The Board liaison is ~persing), which is highly entertaining and educational, he’s into baseball (Red Sox and Phillies), old-time radio, Sherlock Holmes, old animated films, P.G. Wodehouse, and rock ‘n’ roll. Quite a range. And, of course, there’s also his latest interest: Last June, Bob married Kathy Heinsohn (requiring a shortened honeymoon in order to make the NASIG conference), and they bought their first house outside Philadelphia. And as I also mentioned above, they are expecting a baby in March (even as you read this column). That should keep him busy for a while. Bob will be taking parental leave from Penn for a few months to practice daddy-hood, but I bet he’ll be adding full baby details to his website, where they will join the “Bob and Kathy Wedding Info Page” (it looks like they had a lot of fun, which is what weddings should be all about). So over the next few months, think kind and positive thoughts about Bob, at home learning the joys of diapers and colic, happy in the knowledge that the Red Sox finally won the World Series last fall and sad that he’s missing the NASIG conference this year (Yikes!! I’m going to have to convene the Voyager users group meeting all by myself. Panic!!). But soon he’ll be back at work in the predictable (compared to babies) world of serials, doing good, fighting evil, and looking forward to NASIG 2006. Maybe he’ll bring the family. Joyce Tenney (University of Maryland Baltimore County). Interestingly enough, Elizabeth, Peter, Sara, and Rocki are relatively new members, having joined NASIG in 2004, 2002, 2003, and 2002 respectively. Sheryl has been around since 1992 and Joyce since the very beginning (Joyce is one of those folks who has attended every single one of the NASIG conferences). It must be kind of fun for the newbies to learn some of the history of their organization in this way, and it also will provide a fresh viewpoint on the history they write. Also, Sheryl and Joyce have a great audience for their stories of “olden days” back when NASIG was just a pup. I asked NASIG President Steve Savage how he picked this interesting group for the task force. He told me that, first of all, they volunteered when the call went out on NASIG-L. They also had to include a writing sample since they are charged with producing a document and Steve thought it would be nice if they had some abilities in this area. Steve told me he picked Sheryl as chair partly because of a really great workshop she presented and that he attended at a NASIG conference a few years ago, but mostly because of her input at the fundraising brainstorming session we had in Milwaukee. Sheryl’s the one who came up with the idea of the drawing for a free HISTORY TASK FORCE conference registration. He thought it showed creative thinking, and that was the kind of person he wanted leading the task force (as well as the organization skills she showed in doing the aforementioned workshop). As an aside, I asked Sheryl my usual question: “How did you get involved in NASIG?” She told me that it was her boss, Mary Helms, who got her involved. Mary attended the first few conferences and remembers that there was folk dancing, which she thinks should be in the history document. Unfortunately, nobody else seems to remember the dancing. However, Sheryl, even if there is no mention of dancing, you should try to bring in the informal recorder group that used to get together to play under the aegis of Betty Landesman. And don’t forget the Chenille Sisters at Ann Arbor—now that was music! Sheryl tells me that the group is making great progress. Elizabeth is physically close to our NASIG archives in Since its establishment in 1985 as an independent organization to promote communication, information, and continuing education about serials and broader issues of scholarly communication, the North American Serials Interest Group, Inc. (NASIG) has relied on the efforts of dedicated volunteers for its continued success. A volunteer is one who offers or enrolls one’s service rather than one who is under obligation. Volunteerism implies undertaking a service of one’s own free will, without pay. NASIG certainly provides opportunities for one to enroll one’s service free from the fear of financial compensation! The very spirit of volunteerism and NASIG’s organizational structure foster an environment in which it is possible to plan and execute one of the most creative and relevant annual conferences in the industry. NASIG members can volunteer to be on one of the following standing committees: Awards & Recognition, Bylaws, Conference Planning, Continuing Education, Database & Directory, Electronic Communications, Evaluation & Assessment, Finance, Newsletter, Nominations & Elections, Program Planning, and Publications. Two-year appointments to a standing committee ensure fresh ideas and diversity among the committees. New voices mean new opportunities and prevent the possibility of committees becoming stale or being perceived as only welcome to a select few. A key action statement in NASIG’s strategic plan is to ensure representation of all sectors in the serials community in OTHER NASIG NEWS LIFE AND TIMES OF A NASIG VOLUNTEER Erika Ripley and Tonia Graves, PPC members case a visit is needed, but so far it hasn’t been necessary. Rocki has been poring over the Proceedings to help analyze the issues and trends of the past twenty years, based on topics presented at the conferences. It’s interesting to note that binding was once a hot issue. Peter is tracking the development of the planning process and the ways that NASIG has changed with the times. Elizabeth is busy conducting email interviews, and Sara is compiling lists of everything you can think of: officers, task forces, committee members, award winners. As to what the final product will look like, nobody’s talking yet; however, I was told that it will definitely be published on NASIGWeb. I, personally, can’t wait. I’ve greatly enjoyed the years I’ve been a NASIG member and I look forward to being reminded of all those great conference (and other) memories. NASIG membership, on NASIG committees, and on the Executive Board. On the volunteer application form I submitted in early 2004, I had selected the Program Planning Committee (PPC) as my first preference. I cited my recent service on a search committee and the social organization at my institution as reasons for selecting me. These opportunities at my institution, Old Dominion University, gave me experience in event planning, securing speakers, and making travel arrangements; I felt this might be experience suited to the PPC. In May 2004, I received an email from Steve Savage, NASIG Vice President/President-Elect, stating, “You’ve been appointed to the Program Planning Committee for next year. Thank you for volunteering for this committee: As you know, NASIG depends entirely on its member volunteers, so your contribution will be important and very much appreciated!” I felt honored to serve an organization whose mission and members have given me such professional support and continuing education resources. I also realized that the committee’s work would begin quickly when I read the line in Steve’s email instructing me to “Please plan on attending your committee’s meeting scheduled as a breakfast meeting on Saturday from 7-8:30 a.m.” At the 2004 Annual Conference, I attended that early breakfast meeting. By 7:15 a.m., I realized that the committee’s work would continue at a quick pace when our co-chairs informed us that because the 2005 Annual Conference was scheduled one month earlier than usual, the committee would have one month less than usual to complete its work. Apparently there was going to be more to this committee than just reviewing conference program proposals and feeling smug because I had an inside scoop on the conference’s content! PPC’s main responsibility is to plan the program content for the annual conference. This includes everything from preconferences and vision, strategy, and tactics sessions to poster sessions and user group meetings. It takes the yearlong efforts, planning, and organizational skills of the whole committee to complete everything on schedule. Underlying all of PPC’s work is the responsibility to provide original and relevant content, to represent NASIG’s diverse membership, and to encourage new presenters to participate. Under the incredibly gentle, informed, creative, organized, and deadline-conscious guidance of our committee co-chairs, Marilyn Geller and Emily McElroy, we were off! By July 2004 the committee had written the call for proposals and ideas, created and mounted its first Web-based form for program proposal submission, and reviewed the first of the evaluation comments made available from the recent 2004 Annual Conference. The committee spent August 2004 brainstorming program ideas, reviewing the conference schedule, and publicizing the call for 2005 conference proposals and ideas. September was a bit quieter. We reviewed the complete evaluation comments from the 2004 Annual Conference and anticipated the arrival of what we hoped would be numerous, superior, unique proposals for 2005. The pace increased in October 2004 as we publicized a second call for proposals, began evaluating proposals, and decided upon vision speakers. The PPC’s selection philosophy encourages timely and relevant content without recycling from other conferences or venues, brings new voices into discussions, and provides opportunities for new presenters to support their development and the development of the field. PPC members review the call for proposals for their originality. November 2004 brought our final review and vote on all the submitted proposals and presentation of the final schedule and program to the Board. PPC also worked to confirm future deadlines for the accepted speakers and to finalize speaker acceptance letters and forms. In December 2004, official letters of acceptance were mailed and letters were sent to speakers whose proposals were declined. Speakers were assigned a PPC member who would act as their liaison leading up to the conference. We started planning for PPC subgroups to organize other conference events such as poster sessions, the vendor demo session, user group meetings, and informal discussion groups. In January 2005, speakers submitted final copies of their abstracts and confirmed AV needs. We submitted the names of speakers and sessions to the CPC and the Board and formed the various conference event-planning subgroups. The vendor demo subgroup started contacting interested parties, and the poster session subgroup wrote their call for proposal. February 2005 will involve planning for informal discussion groups and user group meetings and sending the call for poster sessions. Just as with call for programs, PPC will be looking for original poster sessions from varied presenters. The final AV speaker requests will be submitted to the CPC. Deadlines for speaker handouts will be established, and work on evaluation questions will begin with the Evaluations and Assessment Committee. The Proceedings editors will be contacted to ensure plans are proceeding accordingly. In March 2005, poster sessions will be selected, and we’ll be sending calls for facilitators and topics for the information discussion groups and user group meetings. PPC members will work with their assigned speakers to confirm hotel information and travel details. Speakers will be asked to submit updated bios, and volunteer introducers will be solicited. During April 2005, travel arrangements are finalized, handout information is submitted to the CPC, and introducers are selected for all programs. In May 2005, speaker bios and program information is sent to introducers, the speaker meeting agenda is set, reimbursement forms are sent, and the annual report is submitted. We also will attend the conference, although the committee’s work is not yet complete. In June 2005, thank-you letters are sent to speakers and outgoing PPC members. Volunteering with the PPC is highly rewarding. It is an excellent way to meet other NASIG members and presenters. You will be continually impressed with the comments, ideas, and discussions among members and co-chairs. Speaking of co-chairs, you will also be continually impressed with the energy and thoughtfulness contributed by the co-chairs. Not only are they always looking ahead, monitoring the activities of the committee, writing newsletter articles, submitting budget proposals, attending board meetings, and putting out fires for individual committee members, they’re also funny! And they also have their own jobs to tend to. The same goes for our Board liaison. According to PPC members, the committee is a great way to stay on the cutting edge of serials. NASIG members with program ideas are urged to communicate with the PPC or one of its members. So the next time you see the call for volunteers, go ahead and answer that call. Each one of us has talents and skills to offer that will ensure at least another twenty successful years of NASIG. See you in Minneapolis! NASIGUIDES Rick Anderson, Publications Committee Co-Chair In early 2005, NASIG’s Publications Committee began publishing brief, practical guides on topics of interest to serials librarians. The first two NASIGuides (an introduction to the ISSN and an overview of open URLs) are now available at http://www.nasig.org/publications/ guides/. The next one scheduled for publication will be a basic introduction to license negotiation. The site also provides a list of other titles planned for publication during the coming year. For more information or to suggest a topic, contact Rick Anderson () or Anne Mitchell (), Publications Committee Co-Chairs. YOU AND NASIG-L REMINDER ABOUT THE USE OF THE NASIG LISTSERV Kitti Canepi, NASIG List Manager and ECC Co-Chair This is a friendly little reminder about the appropriate use of NASIG-L as listed on the NASIGNET page at http://www.nasig.org/members/welcome.html#2.1. “NASIG-L is the electronic bulletin board and discussion forum for NASIG members. Appropriate topics for discussion include: announcements, news, meetings, reports, and issues of concern to members that may affect the NASIG organization. “Messages should be sent to: “This list is moderated, which means that any message sent to NASIG-L will automatically be forwarded to the list manager for verification before being distributed to the rest of the NASIG-L subscribers.” [Ed. note: Emphasis added by the author.] The first statement means that NASIG-L is designed to be used for NASIG organizational business. Event announcements generally only get posted when the event is co-sponsored by NASIG. Job descriptions do not get posted at all. The last statement means that all of the messages get reviewed by the list manager—currently me, but the position changes annually—to approve or reject for posting. Requests to be added or deleted from the list also go through the list manager. The timeliness of the posting can often be dependent on the list manager’s meeting and/or lunch schedule, so please have a little patience. As I try to remind people whose postings I reject, if you have information you wish to share with your serialinterested colleagues that doesn’t relate directly to NASIG organizational business, please consider posting your message to SERIALST, the Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum, to which most NASIG members are also subscribed (http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst .html). And don’t forget, you can use the NASIG Community Forum for asking questions about the upcoming conference or starting interesting serials-related discussions (http://www.nasig.org/conference/bbs/forum/ default.asp). Thanks for your continued considerate use of NASIG-L! CALLING ALL SERIALISTS GOT FUN STUFF? People collect all kinds of objects, from autographs to netsuke to Zwergnase dolls. NASIGers, what do you collect? Share your interests with your colleagues! Send us a brief description of your collection and a digitized photo or two. Responses will be published in the May issue of the Newsletter. Deadline for submissions to “Calling All Serialists” is April 1. E-mail Sharon Heminger, with your submissions. OTHER SERIALS NEWS Congratulations to NASIG member Dan Tonkery, who has been named the 2005 recipient of the Bowker/Ulrichs Serials Librarianship Award! Dan’s serials career, spanning 35 years, began at the National Library of Medicine in 1970. He has been an active member of NASIG, serving as a member-at-large to the Executive Board, as NASIG treasurer, and as NASIG President in 1999/2000. Currently, he is the Vice President, Director of Business Development, for EBSCO Information Services. PROFESSIONAL LIAISONS UPDATE [Ed. note: compiled from reports submitted for the January executive board meeting.] Connie Foster Liaison to: American Library Association, ALCTS, Serials Section Meetings: At the SS Executive Committee section of ALCTS at the ALA Midwinter meeting in Boston on January 16, 2005 Connie shared conference highlights from [NASIG’s] 19th and anniversary plans for the 20th conference, the new Champion Award, and the proposed financial plan to increase dues. Connie also requested that NASIG add an additional link to the Organization resources page that shows ALCTS under ALA. Trina Grover Liaison to: Canadian Library Association (CLA) Organizational News: The Serials Interest Group (SIG) and the Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG) have created a joint webspace to share information with members. The site is currently hosted by Queen's University at http://library.queensu.ca/cts/tsig/tsig.htm. The site will move to the Canadian Library Association's website in the new year. Two of the proposals which the Technical Services Interest Group and the Serials Interest Group jointly submitted to be part of the program at the 2005 CLA Annual conference in Calgary in June have been accepted. A program entitled "Reorganization of Technical Services in Your Library" will present practical and theoretical ideas for why your technical services department might need to be reorganized, and how to go about it. A preconference on "Basic Subject Cataloguing" based on the PCC workshop materials is also on the agenda. Workshops: Pat Routledge (from Red River College in Winnipeg, Manitoba) delivered the 2-day workshop on Basic Serials Cataloguing in November. The fullyregistered event was held at the Bibliocentre and was a great success. NASIG CEC has agreed to sponsor our next SCCTP workshop on Cataloguing Electronic Serials, to be delivered by Peter Glenister, Bibliographic Services Librarian at Mount Saint Vincent University in Nova Scotia. The workshop is scheduled for March 2005 and will be held in Toronto. Other: SIG and TSIG welcome comments about our activities, suggestions for future endeavours and questions about membership. Please write to us. SIG Convenor Trina Grover; TSIG Convenor Wayne Jones Hien Nguyen Liaison to: Library of Congress – CONSER Meeting News: CONSER Meetings at ALA Midwinter January 2005: Sunday, January 16, 2005 • CONSER At-Large 8:00-9:30 am Hynes Convention Center, Room 309 • CONSER Task Force on Publication Patterns and Holdings/Publications Patterns Discussion Group 10:00 am-12:00 pm Hilton Hotel, Lincoln Room Monday, January 17, 2005 • CONSER TF on Long-Term Storage of Pattern Publication and Holdings Data 9:30-11:30am Hilton Hotel, Adams A • CONSER TF on Universal Holdings/Publication History Record 7:00-9:00 am OCLC Red Suite. Agendas for these meetings are available on the CONSER Web site (http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/). Other CONSER Documentation: Revision of the CONSER Cataloging Manual has been completed. CCM Update 2 will be available via Catalogers’ Desktop in January 2005 followed shortly by the release of the print version. Work on updating the SCCTP workshop manuals has begun. These manuals, to be available in 2005, are being revised to reflect changes made to AACR2 in 2004 and to the presently revised CCM. N. Bernard (Buzzy) Basch Liaison to: American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIST) Organization News: Nick Belkin is the new President. Past president Jose Griffiths was appointed Dean of the University of North Carolina Library School and past president Trudy Belardo Hahn became acting director at NCLIS. Meeting News: This years’ annual meeting was held in Providence, RI, on October 28th, 2005. ASIST will meet in Charlotte, NC. Frank Richardson Liaison to: American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Organization News: AALL's first-ever electronic election was successful: 1,985 members cast their vote (1,941 Workshop News: Integrating Resources Cataloging Workshop, in conjunction with the Serials Cataloging Cooperative Training Program (SCCTP), will be offered on March 23 and 24, 2005 at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hawaii. Lecture & Discussion Trainers: Rhonda K. Lawrence Head of Cataloging & Bindery, UCLA Law Library and Steve Shadle, Serials Access Librarian, University of Washington. Veronica Walker Liaison to: Special Libraries Association (SLA) Organization News: SLA Board elections will take place in March 2005. SLA created an uproar among some members with a recent decision to drop organizational memberships such as NISO. The treasurer responded by informing the membership that the budget couldn't support those expensive memberships. The membership, particularly the Technical Standards Committee, wrote letters protesting the decision. Meetings & Workshops: SLA Leadership Summit will take place January 26-29, 2005 in Tampa, Florida. Upcoming Virtual Learning Seminars: January 11, 2005: Defining Content Management and Exploring Change Management; January 25, 2005: Planning and Implementing Content Management. Other: SLA Online Auction to support the Campaign for Professional Development runs through January 25, 2005. SLA joins in global Tsunami Relief effort by providing its members and unit leaders direction in offering financial support. SLA is providing a list of contacts for government-approved relief agencies and charities. SLA also helps the effort by educating its members on the needs of libraries in the affected areas. The Evaluation & Assessment Committee provided the following correction to their Conference Evaluation Summary Report, which appeared in the December issue of the Newsletter. This replaces the last paragraph in the first column on page 17 of the PDF: Strategy sessions generated ratings from 3.85 to 4.76, with 6 of the 8 sessions rating over 4.00. The highest session rating for the conference as a whole went to the strategy session, “Economics of Society Publishing,” with Bill Kasdorf, Keith Seitter, and October Ivins. The strategy session with the second highest rating was Jeff Slagell’s session, “TALK ABOUT Images and Issues of Professional Librarianship: Professional Reflections in Turbulent Waters,” with a rating of 4.60. Mark Leggott’s session, “Open is as Open Does,” ranked as the third highest-rated strategy session at 4.55. “Hidden Costs of E-Journals,” presented by Rollo Turner, followed with a rating of 4.28. The HTML version of the issue has been updated. E&A regrets the oversight. TITLE CHANGES [Note: Please report promotions, awards, new degrees, new positions, and other significant professional milestones. You may submit items about yourself or other members to Susan Andrews (). Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the person mentioned in the news item before they are printed. Please include your e-mail address or phone number.] Formerly Network Librarian at INCOLSA, BARBARA ALBEE is currently Visiting Lecturer at the Indiana University School of Library and Information Science. Her current contact information is: The 1996 winner of the NASIG Student Grant Award, DANA MARIE BELCHER, is now the Assistant Library Director of East Central University’s Linsheid Library. She was formerly their Periodicals/Acquisitions Librarian. Her addresses are: LUCY A. CREWS writes, “Changes in my job have actually been occurring for several years. The title Head of Technical Services was awarded when I was placed in charge of the recon project in 1996. I oversaw the cataloger of new books, who also occasionally did some recon, and trained and supervised student workers who entered multi-volume sets and looked for individual titles without barcodes. I did most of the recon cataloging, and from 1998-2001 inventoried our entire collection. A new cataloger/reference librarian started in 1998, and after her training period, I was no longer in charge of new books. In the fall of 2002, I was given preservation duties, which I love. If only I had known such a job existed when I graduated high school! Preservation had been a hit or miss duty for the ILL position, with fewer than 50 books fixed per year. I am averaging 300+ and am very proud of that. In the fall of 2003, I was asked to help with new book cataloging. We were one librarian short with the move of our head librarian to New York, and our cataloger was doing double duty in reference and bibliographic instruction. So actually last year I did most of the cataloging, in addition to my duties as Serials Librarian and Preservation. I feel that the original title reflected all my duties—cataloging, serials (acquisitions, processing, and cataloging), preservation, and reference. However, our new director wanted a title change to emphasize order of importance. Thus, the exact position title: Catalog and Serials Librarian. Preservation is not mentioned, but is part of my job description. So, not much of a change in duties with the recent title change, but certainly a change (or just lots of additions?) of duties since 1996.” Lucy has been doing all of this at Mary Baldwin College’s Martha S. Grafton Library. Her contact information remains the same. BRUCE D. GOTTSCHALL, who was hired as Periodicals Librarian at the Rohrbach Library of Kutztown University in 1999, became Coordinator of Library Systems and Library Webmaster on August 30, 2004. Kutztown University is a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and the Keystone Library Network. His new address is: Rohrbach Library, Rm. 25A 15200 Kutztown Road, Building 5 Kutztown University of Pennsylvania Kutztown, Pennsylvania 19560 Phone: (610) 683-4166 Fax: (610) 683-4483 E-mail: At the University of Houston-Downtown, PAULINA V. HARPER has become the Electronic Resources Librarian. She was formerly the Serials Librarian for the same library. The only change in her contact information is her fax number, which is now: Fax: (713) 222-5323 Formerly the Management at Birmingham, JAY Acquisitions. The unchanged. Assistant Director for Collection the University of Alabama at HARRIS is now their Head of contact information remains LEANNE B. HILLERY is now Catalog Librarian at Regent University Law Library. She was the Technical Services Librarian at the Florida International University College of Law Library. Her new contact information is: Regent University Law Library 1000 Regent University Drive Virginia Beach, Virginia 23464-9800 Phone: (757) 226-4377 E-mail: MYKIE HOWARD wanted us to know, “Formerly the Serials Acquisitions Librarian at George Washington University for a little over two years, I am now the new Serials Acquisitions Librarian at the National Agricultural Library. I started my job on January 10, 2005. After being a member and active in the Special Libraries Association for 5 years, I am very excited to be working in a special library (doing the serials work that I love). My responsibilities are similar to my last position (leading the library in all aspects of serials acquisitions: fiscal control and serials management) except that I will work with about 19,000 serials instead of 8,000 serials! I will also serve as a contracting officer and will do collection development.” Mykie’s contact information is: National Agricultural Library 10301 Baltimore Avenue Beltsville, Maryland 20705 Phone: (301) 504-5210 Fax: (301) 504-5243 E-mail: REBECCA KEMP of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, formerly of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, now has the job title of Electronic Resources/Serials Librarian. Her new addresses are: University of North Carolina at Wilmington Wm Randall Library 601 S. College Road Wilmington, North Carolina 28403 USA E-mail: The new Technical Services, Serials, and Systems Librarian for Moravian College and Moravian Theological Seminary, LINDA M. LAPOINTE, had this to say about her new job: “My new title reflects the fact that Moravian College’s cataloging and technical services librarian became the library’s director. The college decided that the next librarian hired would be an electronic resources librarian, so the professional staff had to reorganize. There became the need to move someone from within to technical services supervisor. So, I just added the responsibilities of all technical services to my job description. This has been very challenging but interesting. In addition to my duties as Serials Librarian, I now carry all materials budgeting responsibility, supervise serials, acquisitions and cataloging staff, as well as administer the online system. The final piece of my job description is not noted on this already lengthy title. I also am the manager of the library coffee shop. All of this just will not fit on a business card.” She can be reached at: Moravian College and Moravian Theological Seminary 1200 Main Street Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18017 USA Phone: (610) 861-1547 Fax: (610) 861-1577 E-mail: In the spirit of the North American part of NASIG, and for his French Canadian friends, the next person suggested that we give his entry in both French and English. So here they are. JONATHAN DAVID MAKEPEACE, autrefois de l’Indiana University, a entrepris son nouveau poste de Bibliothécaire aux services bibliographiques à l’University de Windsor le 1 septembre, après trois ans et demi à Montréal où il s’est mérité un certificat en français écrit de l’UQAM. Jonathan participe au groupe de traduction du NASIG et il cherche d’autres bibliothèques canadiennes pour un projet « entonnoir » canadien du programme coopératif d’entrées auteurs autorisées de la Library of Congress (NACO). Voici ses nouvelles coordonnées : Bibliothèque Leddy Université de Windsor Windsor (Ontario) N9B 3P4 Téléphone: (519) 253-3000 poste 4723 Télécopieur: (519) 973-7076 Courriel: [Ed. note: for those of us French-language challenged, Jonathan provided us with the translation below!] JONATHAN DAVID MAKEPEACE, formerly of Indiana University, became Bibliographic Services Librarian at the University of Windsor Leddy Library on September 1, after three and a half years in Montreal learning French and earning a certificate in written French from UQAM. Jonathan is a member of NASIG’s translation team and is looking for other Canadian libraries interested in participating in a Canadian NACO funnel. His new coordinates are: Leddy Library University of Windsor Windsor, Ontario N9B 3P4 CANADA Phone: (519) 253-3000 x4723 Fax: (519) 973-7076 E-mail: At California State University, Fullerton, TERESA MARY MALINOWSKI has expanded her job title from Head, Collection & Processing Services to Coordinator, Serials & Electronic Resources. Teresa’s addresses did not change. DIANNE ELIZABETH MCCUTCHEON has returned to the National Library of Medicine from the Library of Congress, where she was Digital Projects Coordinator. About her new job, she e-mailed, “I started my new job as Chief, Technical Services Division on October 18, 2004. In this position, I oversee acquisitions, serials, licensing, cataloging, collection development, and the integrated library system. In the three years that I was away from NLM, there have been many exciting new developments in the digital arena. One of the challenges of my job is to balance the expanding need for electronic information with the requirement to continue building the archival physical collection.” Her contact information is: National Library of Medicine Bethesda Maryland 20894 Phone: (301) 496-6134 Fax: (301) 402-1211 E-mail: Beginning September 1, 2004, STEPHANIE NELSON moved to Kapiolani Community College Library as their Electronic Resources Coordinator. She was the Electronic Resources Librarian at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She can now be reached at: Kapiolani Community College Library 4303 Diamond Head Road Honolulu, Hawaii 96816 USA Phone: (808) 734-9254 Fax: (808) 734-9453 E-mail: WILLIAM RAFTER is now West Virginia University’s Head of Cataloging, a change from being their Interim Head of Cataloging. His contact information remains the same, except his e-mail address, which is now: NANCY S. REGAN called to let her NASIG colleagues know that Abbot Laboratories Hospital Products Division, where she was the Library Serials Manager, has spun off to become Hospira, Inc. Effective May 1, 2004, Nancy has moved to Hospira’s new library to serve as the Operations Manager (although she says that the job titles have not been entirely decided). Nancy says that she is very busy getting things organized and trying to man the library with much less manpower. Her new contact information is: Hospira, Inc Dept. 14 Lib-Bldg H-2 275 N. Field Drive Lake Forest, Illinois USA Phone: (224) 212-2334 Fax: (224) 212-3222 E-mail: After his brief tenure as President of Franklin Book Company, BOB SCHATZ has joined Coutts Library Services as Director of New Business Development for the U.S. He accepted this position in early October. For those wishing to reach Bob, you can do so at: Coutts Library Services 1823 Maryland Avenue P.O. Box 1000 Niagara Falls, New York 14302 E-mail: STEVE SHADLE writes, “My job title recently changed from Serials Cataloger to Serials Access Librarian. This change reflects the increasing amount of vendor-supplied serial data used in a number of our library systems (WebPAC, link resolver, library gateway). In my new position, I still catalog serials, but in addition, I’m responsible for managing and troubleshooting our vendor data loads and serve as the point person at the University of Washington Libraries for vendor-supplied serial data.” Steve’s contact information remains the same. Sage Publications’ BLAISE R. SIMQU has been promoted from Executive Vice President, Higher Education Group to President & CEO. The only change to his contact information is his fax number which is now: Fax: (805) 499-4869 ERICH STAIB has made the move from being the U.S. Journals Manager at Oxford University Press to being Senior Acquisitions Editor at Duke University Press. His new addresses are: Duke University Press PO Box 90660 Durham, North Carolina 27708 USA Phone: (919) 687-3664 E-mail: At Northeastern University, WILL WAKELING commented that this job update is a bit of old news. His job title has changed from Collection Development Officer to Associate Dean, Collections & Technical Services. His addresses remain unchanged. At the Center for Research Libraries, MARY I. WILKE’s title of User Services Liaison has been added to, and is now User Services Liaison/Head of Acquisitions. Mary’s contact information has not changed. The University of New Mexico’s FRANCES C. WILKINSON says that her job hasn’t changed, just her title. She was the Deputy Dean of Library Sciences. Fran’s current job title is Associate Dean of University Libraries. Her contact information remains the same. Moving from the Geauga County Public Library, where she was Technical Services Manager, JILL WILLIAMS is now at the University of Akron’s Law Library serving as the Assistant Law Librarian for Technical Services. She can now be reached at: University of Akron Law Library 150 University Avenue Akron, Ohio 44325 USA E-mail: MICHAEL WOOD had this to say about his new job: “After 2 1/2 years absence, I returned to the Weill Cornell Medical Library in May 2004 to fill the newly created faculty position of Qatar Liaison Librarian and Assistant Head of Collection Development. As Liaison Librarian, I will direct the acquisition, processing, and maintenance of shared electronic information resources for the Weill Cornell Medical Library in New York and Qatar, in collaboration with the Head of Collection Development, Mark Funk. The medical library in Qatar is called the Distributed eLibrary, and the emphasis is on electronic resources. A small print collection is maintained for needed resources that are not yet available in electronic format. Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar is a pioneering project set up in cooperation with the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development, intended to bring the best of pre-medical and medical education to the Middle East region. I worked at the WMC Library for nine years as Manager of Collection Development. In 2000, I was awarded an MLS from Queens College-CUNY and left to serve as Head of Technical Services and Collection Management at Hostos Community College-CUNY.” Michael’s contact information is now: Weill Cornell Medical College Library 1300 York Avenue, C-115 New York, New York 10021 Phone: (212) 746-6071 Fax: (212) 746-8375 E-mail: CALENDAR Kathy Kobyljanec [Please submit announcements for upcoming meetings, conferences, workshops, and other events of interest to your NASIG colleagues to Kathy Kobyljanec at .] March 7-9, 2005 Public Library Association PLA 2005 Spring Symposium Chicago, Illinois http://www.ala.org/ala/pla/plaevents/plaspringsymp/ PLASpringSymposium.htm March 16-18, 2005 Computers in Libraries Washington, D.C. http://www.infotoday.com/cil2005/default.shtml April 14-15, 2005 North Carolina Serials Conference 14th Annual Conference Chapel Hill, North Carolina http://www.nccuslis.org/conted/serials2005/ serials2005.htm May 14-17, 2005 Acquisitions Institute at Timberline Lodge 6th Annual Conference Mt. Hood, Oregon http://libweb.uoregon.edu/events/aitl/index.html May 18, 2005 NASIG Executive Board meeting Minneapolis, Minnesota May 19-22, 2005 NASIG 20th Annual Conference Minneapolis, Minnesota http://www.nasig.org/conference/2005.htm June 5-8, 2005 Special Libraries Association SLA Annual Conference Toronto, Ontario, Canada http://www.sla.org/content/Events/conference/ac2005/ index.cfm June 15-18, 2005 American Theological Library Association ATLA Annual Conference Austin, Texas http://www.atla.com/member/conference/confhome.html See also the American Libraries “Datebook.” http://www.ala.org/alonline/datebook/datebook.html COPYRIGHT AND MASTHEAD The NASIG Newsletter is copyright by the North American Serials Interest Group, and NASIG encourages its widest use. In accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act’s Fair Use provisions, readers may make a single copy of any of the work for reading, education, study, or research purposes. In addition, NASIG permits copying and circulation in any manner, provided that such circulation is done for free and the items are not resold in any way, whether for-profit or not-for-profit. Any reproduction for sale may only be done with the permission of the NASIG Board, with a request submitted to the current President of NASIG, under terms which will be set by the Board. The NASIG Newsletter (ISSN: 1542-3417) is published 4-5 times per year for the members of the North American Serials Interest Group, Inc. Members of the Editorial Board of the Newsletter are: Editor-in-Chief: Copy Editor: Columns Editor: Columns Editor: Conference/Calendar Editor: Submissions Editor: Profiles Editor: HTML Production Editor: PDF Production Editor: Board Liaison: Charlene N. Simser, Kansas State University Pam Cipkowski, Follett Library Resources Susan Andrews, Texas A&M-Commerce Sharon Heminger, JSTOR Kathy Kobyljanec, John Carroll University Beth Bernhardt, University of North Carolina-Greensboro Maggie Rioux, MBLWHOI Mykie Howard, George Washington University James Michael, University of South Florida Joyce Tenney, University of Maryland, Baltimore County For 2005, the Newsletter is published in March, May, September, and December. Submission deadlines (February 1, April 1, August 1, and November 1) are 4 weeks prior to the publication date. The submission deadline for the next issue is: April 1, 2005 NO LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED Send all items for the calendar to: Kathy Kobyljanec, Send inquiries concerning the NASIG organization, membership, and change of address information, to: NASIG address: • John Cox on “ Access to Scholarly Literature: Publishing for an Extended Readership” • Regina Reynolds and Ted Koppel: “Unique Identifiers in Libraries: What Works, What Doesn't Work, and What's In (or Should Be In) the Works” • Steve Shadle on FRBR • Joan Conger on “Negotiation for the Rest of Us” • Amy Brand and Jenny Walker on “Cross Provider Search .” electronic, 44 paper). Last year, 1760 members voted and the year before 1739 . The results: Vice President/President Elect (July 2005-July 2006) Sarah G. Holterhoff; Secretary (July 2005-July 2008) Darcy Kirk; Executive Board (July 2005-July 2008) Steven P. "Technical Services Law Librarian" Volume 30 , No. 2 ( December 2004 ) can be found at: http://www.aallnet.org/sis/tssis/tsll/30-02/ 30 - 02 .pdf Send submissions and editorial comments to: Charlene Simser Kansas State University 137 Hale Library Manhattan, KS 66506 -1200 Phone: ( 785 ) 532 - 7444 Fax: ( 785 ) 532 - 7644 Email: Send all items for “Title Changes” to: Susan Andrews Phone: ( 903 ) 886 - 5733 Fax: ( 508 ) 999 -9142 E-mail: Susan_Andrews@tamu-commerce .edu


This is a preview of a remote PDF: https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1099&context=nasig

March 2005, NASIG Newsletter, 2005,