May 2016 Full Issue

NASIG Newsletter, Jun 2016

A PDF file should load here. If you do not see its contents the file may be temporarily unavailable at the journal website or you do not have a PDF plug-in installed and enabled in your browser.

Alternatively, you can download the file locally and open with any standalone PDF reader:

May 2016 Full Issue

Table of Contents 0 President's Corner 2016 Election Results Donations Upcoming Conference News CPC Update PPC Update Conference Mentoring Program 2016 Award Winners Profiles Profile of Jim O'Donnell Columns Checking In Citations Title Changes NASIG News New NASIG Proceedings Editor Appointed Executive Board Minutes - We are heading into final preparations for our conference in Albuquerque! I’m really excited about the programming that we have in store this year, and we have a trip on Thursday to the Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum for our opening reception, which looks both fun and educational! Just a few weeks into registration, we have nearly 140 people registered for the conference, so it looks like we will have a robust turnout this year. Our conference hotel has booked up quickly, and we have secured a block of rooms at a secondary hotel nearby, the Best Western. The growing pains are uncomfortable, but I’m happy to see that we are indeed growing! If you know folks who would benefit from joining NASIG now that we have expanded our vision and mission, please spread the word. Our programming this year shows that is already starting to happen: We have a rich diversity of topics this year at the conference. Right now we have 906 members in NASIG, of which 401 are student members, resulting from the year of free NASIG membership that began in January. We are seeking ways to bring our new student members into the fold and make NASIG a meaningful experience for them, so if you have ideas, please pass them along to a board member or to . The board continues to cull through the various suggestions that arose during the strategic planning session in January. We will be appointing a strategic planning task force soon to write a formal plan with action items. However, rather than waiting for a formal plan, the board has already begun moving forward on some of the items, such as voting to join NISO as an organizational member. This will allow NASIG to NASIG Newsletter May 2016 propose standards as an organization and to vote on standards relating to our mission. We are also working on plans to enhance NASIG’s fundraising and marketing—more on that later as those projects solidify. Next week, I head to the UKSG conference in Bournemouth, UK. As my year of NASIG presidency winds down, I am happy to see the direction NASIG is moving. We have accomplished a lot this year and laid some good groundwork. As NASIG’s financial standing becomes even stronger, I’d like to see NASIG move toward either having a paid staff or outsourcing various functions. This will allow our volunteers to do more high-level work, as we have done with the Core Competencies, and less event planning and web maintenance. This year, NonProfit Help assisted in making reservations for the NASIG Award winners and selected aspects of the conference planning process. During the preparations for the strategic planning session, we found that when our membership numbers dropped several years ago, the number of people needed to run the organization did not. As of December 2015, about 40% of our members were active on a committee or task force needed to perform the various functions of the organization. While such a high rate of participation indicates remarkable dedication on the part of our members, we do not want to burn out our members. When we started discussing the idea of a digital preservation group in response to Anne Kenney’s vision session at the 2015 Conference, we realized how thin our resources are already stretched. I would still like to see NASIG circle back to this task force idea, but we must provide some relief for the volunteers that we have. NASIG needs to create volunteer opportunities that have a greater professional impact both for the individuals involved and the organization as a whole. I am eager to see how NASIG transforms the information community over the next few years, and to continue to participate in that development in any way that I can. The Nominations & Elections Committee is pleased to announce the results of the 2016 election. Those elected to NASIG Executive Board office are as follows: Vice President/President-Elect Steve Oberg*, Wheaton College Member-at-Large Chris Bulock, California State University Northridge Betsy Appleton, St. Edward’s University Adolfo Tarango, University of California, San Diego *Angela Dresselhaus (East Carolina University) has been appointed to serve as Member-at-Large for 2016/17 in Steve Oberg’s place so he may assume the Vice President/President-Elect duties. On behalf of the committee, we would like to extend warm congratulations to the elected candidates, as well as sincere thanks to all the candidates who were willing to stand for office. Nominations & Elections Committee Maria Hatfield, chair Patrick Carr, vice chair Emily Farrell Erika Ripley Marcella Lesher Marsha Seamans Todd Enoch Donations Thanks to Our Donors! The following members have made donations to NASIG during 2016. Donations support NASIG programs and scholarships. Many thanks for contributing to these important aspects of NASIG’s mission! Katy Ginanni, in memory of Birdie MacLennan CPC Update Mary Ann Jones & Betsy Appleton, CPC Co-Chairs Registration is now open for the 31st Annual NASIG Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico! Be sure to register before the Early Bird deadline coming up this month on May 18. As always, NASIG is going to provide a lot of fun, along with the plethora of dynamic, leading-edge programming. The CPC has been hard at work planning a fabulous opening reception at the Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum--a perfect place to “Embrace New Horizons!” Take a look at the history and science of balloon flight, enjoy a great meal, and perhaps be inspired to book a balloon ride while visiting Albuquerque. NASIG’s popular dine-arounds are also back this year: we’ll have eight restaurant reservations available for you to choose from and enjoy a meal with fellow attendees in and around Old Town Albuquerque. After a great meal, head back to the Hotel Albuquerque for a late night social, but try not to stay up too late because the Fun Run on Saturday morning starts around 5:45 a.m. Enjoy seeing the sunrise over the Sandia Mountains. You may even spy a balloon (or seven) on your run. There is a lot to see and do just steps away from the Hotel Albuquerque, so while you aren’t in a session, you should sample some chocolates from dangerouslyclose-to-the-Hotel-Albuquerque shop, The Candy Lady, and walk off your sugar crash while browsing in the many shops and galleries that line Old Town. Those of you who would like to sample local wine will find a great place to do so at the St. Clair Winery and Bistro, and if craft beer is more your style, head west of the Hotel Albuquerque for an ale at the Ponderosa Brewing Company. We are looking forward to seeing you all in Albuquerque next month! Register now! PPC Update Danielle Williams and Corrie Marsh, PPC chair & vice-chair We hope you’re all registered for the 31st Annual NASIG conference because it’s just around the corner, and we’re looking forward to seeing everyone there. We’re also pleased to share the Great Ideas Showcase and Snapshot Session presentations for the 2016 conference. If you haven’t had a chance, check out the workshops we’re offering:  Corrie Marsh and Dillon Wackerman are offering a great workshop on creating an institutional repository.  Eleanor Cook and Maria Collins are giving two halfday workshops on academic writing and publishing designed for beginning librarians and experienced librarians in the afternoon.  Shanna McDanold and Terry Reese are offering two workshops for beginning and advanced MarcEdit users.  Marlene van Ballegooie, Sheri Meares, and Kristen Wilson are leading a workshop on KBART. Vendor Lightning Talks continue and will offer vendors an opportunity to share brief looks at new products and services, updates on products, and will include representatives from bepress, Taylor & Francis, Rockefeller University Press, American Institute of Physics, and the American Chemical Society. See you in Albuquerque! Conference Mentoring Program Simona Tabacaru, Chair, NASIG Mentoring Group NASIG's Mentoring Group is again sponsoring a Conference Mentoring Program to help make new conference attendees feel more at ease, highlight membership benefits, and create networking opportunities. The program will match experienced NASIG conference attendees with new conference goers. The only requirement to be a mentee is attendance at the 31st Annual NASIG Conference in Albuquerque, NM. To be a mentor, we ask you have attended a previous NASIG conference, be willing to make contact with your mentee prior to the conference, and be willing to meet with your mentee at the conference. Of course we hope you’ll also check on your mentee during the conference, especially at group social events, just to make sure they aren't lonely. We invite all mentees and mentors to the First-timers Reception on Thursday, June 9th. This is a great time to meet up with your mentor or mentee for the first time and get to know one another. The deadline for applications will be Friday, May 27, 2016. After all applications are received, we will contact you with the name of your partner. This program has been very successful for several years and we look forward to your participation this year! Click here to sign up to be a mentor or mentee. Please feel free to contact me or Sandy Folsom for additional information about the mentoring program. The NASIG Awards & Recognition committee is pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 NASIG awards. We wish to thank EBSCO who is graciously supporting NASIG by sponsoring the Horizon Award. NASIG and UKSG also wish to thank Taylor & Francis who is sponsoring the UKSG Merriman award winner's attendance at NASIG. Birdie MacLennan Award: Chris Bulock, California State University-Northridge First-Timer Award: Xiaoyan Song, North Carolina State University Fritz Schwartz Serials Education Scholarship: Maria Aghazarian, University of Pittsburgh Horizon Award (sponsored by EBSCO): Rachel H. Becker, University of Wisconsin – Parkside John Merriman Joint NASIG/UKSG Award: Clint Chamberlain (NASIG), Dallas County Community College District Shona Thoma (UKSG), Irish Research eLibrary (sponsored by Taylor & Francis) John Riddick Student Grant: Natasha Siu, University of North Texas Mexican Student Grant Award: Nayeli Cortes Rafael, Escuela Nacional de Biblioteconomía y Archivonomía Paraprofessional Specialist Award: Elizabeth Miraglia, University of California – San Diego Rose Robischon Scholarship: Anjana H. Bhatt, Florida Gulf Coast University For further information about the NASIG awards, please visit our web site: Profile of Jim O’Donnell 31st Annual NASIG Conference Vision Speaker Sharon Dyas-Correia Jim O’Donnell is one of three Vision Speakers scheduled to engage and enlighten participants at the 31st annual NASIG Conference. O’Donnell holds a Bachelor’s degree from Princeton and a PhD from Yale. In addition to being the University Librarian at Arizona State University, O’Donnell is a classical scholar. According to the entry about him in Wikipedia, “O’Donnell writes and lectures on topics of the late Roman Empire, Augustine of Hippo, and also on information technology in the modern academic and cultural world. O’Donnell was an early adopter of the World Wide Web for academic collaboration within the humanities.” ( The Wikipedia entry for O’Donnell also indicates that “In 1994, he offered the first Internet MOOC when five hundred students around the world participated in his University of Pennsylvania seminar on the life and work of St. Augustine through gopher and email connectivity” ( The profiles editor asked O’Donnell to provide brief written answers to a series of questions about his ideas, interests and background as well as a teaser or two of what conference attendees might be treated to in June. The following are some of the answers provided by O’Donnell. He is sure to be a stimulating and absorbing speaker who will engage the minds of conference goers. His vision will undoubtedly provide much food for thought. Photo courtesy of Jim O’Donnell What do you hope to accomplish in your current positon? In the most innovative university with the best president in the country, we have a chance to transform library spaces and services in a very short time. Stay tuned. Are there highlights of your work background you would like to share? This is my fourth career (professor, chief information officer, provost, university librarian): I like to bite off more than I can chew. What makes your background ideal for your work? I’m a pretty nontraditional candidate for university librarian, but it’s worth noticing that my dissertation a long time ago was a biography of a scholar/monk/librarian from the sixth century AD. Photo courtesy of Jim O’Donnell What background do you wish you had? I wish I had a long and successful career as center fielder for the New York Yankees. I’m also available to serve on the Supreme Court if needed, but dowager countess of Grantham looks like a pretty good job as well. What is the topic for your vision session at the conference in Albuquerque and can you give us some highlights or a teaser? Working on it, but ask yourself: how many libraries should there be in the world in the year 2100? I can think of two answers. Are there other fun things or facts about you that you would like to share? See the photo taken with my friend Gary in Brisbane a few years back. Anything else you would like to include? I’m the co-founding publisher and editor of the oldest open access online journal in the humanities, Bryn Mawr Classical Review ([first published in] November 1990). I actually invented the online journal all by myself (thought it up from scratch) only to discover that about a dozen other people had beaten me to it, so I’ll never be famous. O’Donnell’s Vision Session is sure to be thoughtprovoking and stimulating – a great way to start another great day with colleagues at the NASIG Conference in Albuquerque! Checking In Kurt Blythe, Column Editor [Note: Please report promotions, awards, new degrees, new positions, and other significant professional milestones. You may submit items about yourself or other members to Kurt Blythe at . Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the person mentioned in the news item before they are printed. Please include your e-mail address or phone number.] Please welcome our newest members! (In their own words…) I finally decided this year to get a much overdue NASIG membership as I’m now creeping ever closer to completing my MLIS. I’ve been working with a variety of serials formats for over fourteen years in every stage of the process from trials to weeding, and everything in between, and more recently have shifted with the times into digital periodicals. I’m looking forward to learning from and contributing to NASIG. Jennifer Combs Periodicals/Collection Development Associate The Kansas City Public Library 816.701.3605 While I originally joined NASIG as a student, I am now the new Regional Librarian for the Chamberlain College of Nursing, Charlotte Campus, which will involve working with serials on a daily basis. I joined while I was still a student because access and electronic resources are very important to me as an information professional. I hope I can get more involved with NASIG as I begin my career! Alexandria Quesenberry Citations: Required Reading by NASIG Members Kurt Blythe, Column Editor [Note: Please report citations for publications by the membership—to include scholarship, reviews, criticism, essays, and any other published works which would benefit the membership to read. You may submit citations on behalf of yourself or other members to Kurt Blythe at . Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the author(s) before they are printed. Include contact information with submissions.] We have one entry in this quarter’s column, but it includes a number of members: Davis, Susan, Deberah England, Tina Feick, and Kimberly Steinle. “Minding the Store: Insights and Perceptions on the Role of Subscription Agents in Today’s Scholarly Resources Marketplace,” The Serials Librarian 69, no. 3/4 (2015): 240-266. doi: This article discusses the findings from the survey we conducted to assist in our presentation at the 2015 NASIG conference. Title Changes Kurt Blythe, Column Editor [Note: Please report promotions, awards, new degrees, new positions, and other significant professional milestones. You may submit items about yourself or other members to Kurt Blythe at . Contributions on behalf of fellow members will be cleared with the person mentioned in the news item before they are printed. Please include your e-mail address or phone number.] There have been some moves this past quarter. (In their own words…) As of January 2016 I moved up at Springer Nature from Manager of Account Development to Director of Institutional Marketing and Account Development for the Americas. Robert Boissy Director of Institutional Marketing and Account Development, Americas, Springer Nature I had been working as Acquisitions Librarian at Duquesne University. Now I have started as Director, Technical Services Group at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Bridget Euliano While not a title change in the traditional sense, this merits inclusion in this column: Ellen McGrath, Head of Cataloging at the University at Buffalo Law Library, is the recipient of the 2016 Renee D. Chapman Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions in Technical Services Law Librarianship, awarded by the Technical Services Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL). Rachel Miles is the new Digital Scholarship Librarian at the Center for the Advancement of Digital Scholarship (CADS) at Kansas State University. Her primary responsibilities include copyright consultations with students and faculty, management and maintenance of the copyright website for K-State, copyright education and outreach services, open access outreach and initiatives, promotion of the Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative at K-State, and assistance in the management of K-State’s open scholarly publishing platform, New Prairie Press (NPP), and the institutional repository, KState Research Exchange (K-REx). NASIG News New NASIG Proceedings Editor Appointed The NASIG Executive Board is pleased to announce Kristen Wilson from North Carolina State University as the incoming NASIG Proceedings editor. Kristen will join Lila A. Ohler in preparation of the 2016 Annual Conference Proceedings. We had strong applicants for this position, and we are grateful to everyone who applied! The Proceedings editors will be supported this year by two new positions, a production editor and a production assistant. All four positions serve as part of the newly formed Proceedings Committee. Angela Dresselhaus will serve as production editor, and Leigh Ann DePope will serve as production assistant. Congratulations and thank you for your service to NASIG! NASIG Board Conference Call January 13, 2016 The meeting was called to order at 12:02 pm. The meeting adjourned at 12:40 pm. Minutes submitted by: Kelli Getz Secretary, NASIG Executive Board 1/15/2016 January 2016 Executive Board Meeting Date: January 22, 2016 Place: Multimedia Seminar Center Room, D.H. Hill Library, Raleigh, NC Attendees Executive Board: Carol Ann Borchert, President Beverly Geckle, Treasurer Michael Hanson, Treasurer-Elect Kelli Getz, Secretary Members at Large: Eugenia Beh Maria Collins Wendy Robertson Laurie Kaplan Steve Oberg Ex Officio: Kate Moore Skype: Christian Burris, Member at Large Anna Creech, President-Elect Steve Kelley, Past President 1.0 Welcome (Borchert) The meeting was called to order at 8:40 am. 2.0 Strategic Planning Debrief (Borchert) The Board discussed the strategic planning session facilitated by October Ivins that occurred on 1/21/16. In general, the feedback regarding the session was positive. It was decided that the Board will wait until Ivins distributes her report from the strategic planning session to discuss with the NASIG membership the results of the meeting and next steps. The report should be finished and distributed to the Board in February. A task force will be created to oversee the implementation of the strategic plan. ACTION ITEM: After the Board receives the report from Ivins, Borchert and Creech will appoint a task force that will lead the strategic plan implementation. One idea that was generated during the session is to do a regular self-study of the NASIG committees so that adjustments in committee structure, number of members, etc. would happen more regularly. Specifics of the routine committee self-study will be determined by the Strategic Plan Implementation Task Force. One idea generated during the strategic planning session was to set up gmail accounts and Google Drive accounts for each NASIG committee. This will help to provide continuity on committees even as committee membership changes each year. ACTION ITEM: Creech will poll the committee chairs to see if the committees currently have gmail addresses and/or Google Drive accounts. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will create a NASIG Board gmail account. ACTION ITEM: Burris will give the information regarding the gmail accounts/Google Drive accounts to CMC to record in their manual and list on the website after Creech polls the committees to see if a gmail account exists. Another idea generated during the strategic planning session was to see what other conferences or events NASIG members attend. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will start a Google sheet where NASIG members can record other conferences that they attend. Additionally, the Board discussed creating a marketing plan now that NASIG has a new logo and tagline. remain as the primary sponsorship contacts. CEC will need to continue passing along sponsorship requests to the Board for approval. Additionally, Kelley will staff the booth at the NC Serials Conference. VOTE: Oberg moved to approve the North Carolina Serials Conference request for sponsorship. Beh seconded. Collins chose to abstain, and all other members of the Board voted in favor of the request for sponsorship. The motion passed. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will send the logo to Moore for the newsletter website. 5.0 Reduced Hotel Room Rate for Registrar-in-Training (Kelley) 3.0 Bylaws Revisions (Kaplan) The Board reviewed a number of changes to the bylaws put forth by the Bylaws Committee, many of which involved correcting minor inconsistencies. The Board also made some minor suggestions to be sent back to Bylaws for review. In Article II, many of the objectives were changed to better match NASIG’s new vision and mission. Article III Section 1 required an update to remove now defunct membership categories and clarification on organizational members. ACTION ITEM: Geckle will send the updated language on organizational membership to Bylaws and Kaplan for Bylaws to review. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will send the Board’s bylaws suggestions to Kaplan. ACTION ITEM: Kaplan will pass along the Board’s suggestions for minor revisions to Bylaws. 4.0 Process for Sponsorship Requests (Robertson) CEC received a request for sponsorship from the North Carolina Serials Conference and asked the Board for clarification on the correct procedure for sponsorship requests. The Board felt that the CEC chairs should 11 A question was brought before the Board regarding reduced hotel room rates at the conference for the Registrar-in-Training. The Board felt that a comprehensive overview of compensation is needed. VOTE: Borchert moved for the Registrar-in-Training to receive waived registration and 2 hotel nights paid for by NASIG at the 2016 conference. Oberg seconded. The vote passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Hanson and Geckle will summarize and evaluate the reimbursement policy and bring it to the Board in chart form. 6.0 Treasurer’s Report (Geckle) A&R usually spends less than their budgeted amount because not all of the awards are given out each year. A&R hopes that there will be more student awards given out this year due to the increase in student memberships. Additionally, Taylor & Francis will be sponsoring the Merriman Award this year. Non-Profit Help currently assists CPC with A/V and food and assists A&R with travel arrangements for award winners. There was an interest in seeing what other services Non-Profit Help could assist us with. Joyce Tenney is the NASIG Non-Profit Help liaison. The Board discussed NASIG’s marketing strategy. ACTION ITEM: All Board liaisons need to contact their respective committees to see if the committees have any information that needs to go out on the NASIG blog. 9.0 Workshop Compensation (All) There were some questions about workshop compensation since it varies from year to year. ACTION ITEM: Geckle and Hanson will codify the workshop compensation to present to the Board for review. The current compensation rate has already been approved for 2016, but the Board will review it for consistency for future conferences. 10.0 Committee Updates (All) Archives and Archives Task Force: No questions for the Board. A&R: The awards application cycle has been extended this year. NASIG currently pays for 2 insurance policies a year. Geckle and Hanson were unsure whether NASIG’s insurance coverage level matches what is needed. ACTION ITEM: Geckle and Hanson will work with NonProfit Help to see if they have the expertise to help the Treasurers review NASIG’s insurance policies. Additionally, Geckle reported having difficulties each year trying to get tax exempt status with the state in which the conference will occur. ACTION ITEM: Geckle and Hanson will work with NonProfit Help to see if they could help the Treasurers obtain tax exempt status with the state in which the conference will occur. The Board also explored the idea of having Non-Profit Help investigate streaming options for the NASIG conference. ACTION ITEM: Creech will talk to the PPC chairs about whether the concurrent session MOU allows for the recording of concurrent session presentations. Language already exists in the vision speaker MOU that could possibly be used in the concurrent session MOU. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will talk with Tenney to discuss with Non-Profit Help to see if they offer services around streaming the conference. 7.0 Newsletter Advertisements Process (Kelley/Beh/Borchert) Moore and Kelley designed a process where Moore contacts Kelley when a vendor/publisher wants to advertise in the Newsletter. Kelley will then follow-up with the vendor/publisher to see if they would also be interested in becoming a conference sponsor or increasing their conference sponsorship. Additionally, Moore will keep the Treasurer informed as to the vendors/publishers that are paying for Newsletter advertisements so that Geckle can give them credit if they choose to become a conference sponsor. ACTION ITEM: Creech will remind A&R to send out a reminder about the extended application due dates. Bylaws: No questions for the Board beyond revisions discussed in item 3.0. Conference Proceedings Editors: A vote is needed by the Board to approve the CPE proposal to change the production manager position to a production editor position. VOTE: To approve the CPE proposal to change the production manager position to a production editor position, as well as the other recommendations made by CPE. Motion from Kelley; seconded by Burris. All voted in favor. Additionally, CPE still has one outstanding contract that needs to be finalized with an author. ACTION ITEM: Collins will contact the last author that has not signed a contract to discuss with him the license to publish. D&D: The Board has asked the committee to do an audit of the membership database, and the committee continues cleanup. Also, more documentation is needed around the workflow required to clean up the database. Newsletter: Moore created a list of Tier 1 and Tier 2 sponsors who have not yet had an advertisement in the NASIG Newsletter. ACTION ITEM: Moore will send Kelley the list of Tier 1 and Tier 2 sponsors who have not yet had an advertisement in the Newsletter. Kelley will then contact the sponsors to remind them to place their advertisement in an upcoming Newsletter issue.  FPTF: Nothing to report.  MDC: MDC created a flyer for the conference. The Board made a few suggestions for the flyer. ACTION ITEM: Burris and Kaplan will coordinate with the Publicist and CMC so that the Publicist is able to review the flyer and add the NASIG logo. CMC will then distribute the flyer to the NASIG listserv. ACTION ITEM: The Treasurer and Treasurer-Elect will organize a phone call with the chair and vice-chair of D&D, the co-chairs of CMC, and the vice-co-chair of CMC Website to discuss the workflow.  E&A: The committee is in the process of selecting a vice-chair.  SCTF: Nothing to report. CEC: CEC has been identifying edits to NASIG’s Wikipedia page. Additionally, CEC will be sponsoring a webinar on Feb. 18. CPC: There have been discussions surrounding the refillable water bottles. The Board agrees that it is important to have both bottles of water and refillable water bottles available at the conference. CMC: Co-chair Paoshan Yue will be stepping down. David Macaulay will be taking her place. N&E: N&E brought the issue before the Board on what to do if a current Board member is nominated in the middle of their term to run for another NASIG Board office position. If the Board member wins the election and accepts the new position, the Board determined that the next runner up in the election would only serve in the position for the remainder of the vacated person’s term. ACTION ITEM: Oberg will go back to N&E to update their manual to say that the runner-up will be elected for the remainder of the original term.  PPC: The PPC chairs submitted the slate to the Board and are working on the conference schedule. The Board did not have any issues with the proposed slate, although there were a few suggested adjustments to the schedule.  Site Selection: The Board discussed rotating the conference to just a few favored conference sites as opposed to a new conference site each year. The Board will need more feedback from the membership to see how others feel about this proposal. ACTION ITEM: Borchert, Creech, and McKee will generate a list of favorite past conference locations. They will discuss this on NASIG-L in April.  SOC: SOC is interested in surveying the new student members of NASIG to see what they hope to get out of their membership, as well as to find out where they are attending library school and when their anticipated graduation date. ACTION ITEM: Collins and SOC can move forward on surveying the new student members of NASIG regarding what they hope to gain from their membership, what prompted them to join NASIG, where they are attending library school, their anticipated graduation date, and their intended future areas of work. 11.0 Secretary’s Report (Getz) 11.1 Board Activity Report The Board went through all of the outstanding action items and updated them as needed. 11.2 Approval of Dec. 3 Conference Call Minutes VOTE: A motion was made by Beh to approve the December 3 and January 13 conference call minutes. Oberg seconded. The motion passed unanimously 11.3 Approval of Jan. 13 Conference Call Minutes 12.0 Parking Lot Issues (All) The Board revisited the earlier issue of the Treasurer’s audit. ACTION ITEM: Borchert will talk with individuals involved with previous audit to see if they might have any information as to how the process worked in the past. 13.0 Adjourn (Borchert) The meeting was adjourned at 3:54 pm. Minutes submitted by: Kelli Getz, Secretary, NASIG Executive Board 2/18/16 14 NASIG Board Conference Call February 22, 2016 Attendees Executive Board: Carol Ann Borchert, President Steve Kelley, Past-President Anna Creech, Vice President/President-Elect Kelli Getz, Secretary Beverly Geckle, Treasurer Michael Hanson, Treasurer-Elect Members at Large: Eugenia Beh Christian Burris Maria Collins Steve Oberg Wendy Robertson Regrets: Kate Moore, Ex Officio Laurie Kaplan, Member-at-Large 1.0 Welcome (Borchert) The meeting was called to order at 3:03 pm. 2.0 Treasurer’s Report (Geckle) D&D is working on getting rid of extra records and sent a list of old invoices to be purged. Geckle is reviewing the old invoices. Sponsorships are coming in. There are currently $29,000 worth of sponsorships that are committed so far, which is ahead of where we finished last year. 3.0 Secretary’s Report (Getz) ● Vote on minutes from Winter Board Meeting VOTE: Borchert made a motion to approve the minutes from the Winter Board Meeting. The motion was seconded by Creech. The motion passed unanimously. ACTION ITEM: Getz will send out the information regarding the printing of a new physical banner to the Board Listserv for discussion. 4.0 Follow-up from Strategic Planning Session (Borchert) ● Marketing proposal The marketing proposal came from the strategic planning session. Per Borchert, we need to get the plan together on how we are going to digest the marketing information and push it out to the rest of the organization. The Strategic Planning Task Force is in the process of reviewing the marketing proposal before they send it to the full Board for approval. ● Fundraising coordinator There has been some feedback regarding the Fundraising Coordinator on the Board listserv. 5.0 Physical and Virtual “Idea Box” (Kaplan) Kaplan and Creech were tasked with providing both a physical and an electronic suggestion or idea box. A physical box and pre-printed forms will be provided at the registration desk at the conference. They suggest locating the online form on the Member Center page. The online form will be sent to the address. Additionally, they suggest introducing the new online suggestion form at the business meeting at the conference. 6.0 Petition Process (Borchert/Kaplan/Kelley) Borchert, Kaplan, Kelley, and Oberg found a simple form that can be posted on the website once the Bylaws are approved. The form will expand to allow for a full description of the issue. The petition will be sent to the Board’s gmail account. One problem that they encountered was figuring out how to have people virtually sign a petition. Suggestions included entering your Association ID number. It was pointed out that N&E already has a process in place, so the Board should further investigate that process for use in the petition process. ACTION ITEM: Oberg, Kaplan, and Kelley will get the petition form drafted. CMC (Burris) will then decide if AMO or Google Forms will be the best option for the petition form. 7.0 Update on Logo Replacement on Website and Social Media Outlets The Board wanted a status update on the logo replacement on the website and on social media outlets. ACTION ITEM: Beh will work with Moore to get a status update on the Newsletter logo replacement. Burris reported that CMC might need help with the blog headers. ACTION ITEM: Burris will get clarification from CMC as to what kind of help that they need to get the logo changed on the blog headers. 8.0 Committee Updates (All) PPC – Vote on workshop honorarium The Board had a discussion regarding workshop honorarium. Archives Task Force: No questions for the Board. Archivist: Jaymie Turner has stepped down as Photo Historian. ● ● ● ACTION ITEM Creech will find a volunteer willing to serve as the Photo Historian. A&R: The Merriman Award winner has been selected. The Board has been notified of the award winner. Additionally, the Board clarified for A&R that Non-Profit Help will make travel arrangements for all award winners. However, the UKSG award winner will need to make his/her travel arrangements according to the UKSG process. Bylaws: Bylaws is working on the edits suggested by the Board. CMC: CMC is working on their assigned action items. CPC: CPC had a few things for the Board to review. Proceedings Editors: A call for the Proceedings Editor will go out soon. ACTION ITEM: Collins will make any updates to the Proceedings Editor description and Creech will send out a blast asking for volunteers. Additionally, the 2015 papers should be uploaded in early March. CEC: CEC reported that 41 participants attended the webinar in February. They are working on a SUSHI Counter webinar for May. D&D: Nothing to report. E&A: Melody Dale has been selected as the new vice-chair. FPTF: Nothing to report. MDC: MDC is working on getting the logo for their flyers. They plan to distribute the flyers to local Albuquerque libraries. Newsletter: Nothing to report. N&E: N&E is waiting on petition candidates to be named and then voting will open up in early March. PPC: PPC is in the process of getting all of the MOUs distributed and signed. SCCTF: Nothing to report. Site selection: Nothing to report. SOC: Nothing to report. 9.0 Adjourn (Borchert) The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 pm. Minutes submitted by: Kelli Getz Secretary, NASIG Executive Board 3/7/16 Awards and Recognition Committee Submitted by: Megan Kilb Members Megan Kilb, chair (UNC-Chapel Hill) Mary Bailey, vice-chair (Kansas State University) Lori Duggan, member (Indiana University) Tim Hagan, member (Northwestern University) Tiffany Le Maistre, member (Nevada State College) Elaine McCracken, member (University of California) Karen Ross, member (ProQuest) Delphia Williams, member (California State University, Northridge) Joe Hinger, Mexican Student award liaison (St. John’s University) Anna Creech, board liaison (University of Richmond) Chair and vice-chair are placing orders for the recognition items to distribute at the conference. Chair is adapting the committee’s master calendar to include more details, particularly about the award winner selection process and coordinating travel arrangements, and to serve as the committee manual. Chair is gathering essays from this year’s award winners’ applicant packets to send to the NASIG newsletter editors as necessary and the archivist. Committee members reviewed 42 applications for twelve awards, ranked applicants for each award, and selected award winners. See the NASIG blog for a full list of the award winners: Chair sent award winner information to CMC for publicity. Chair and vice-chair communicated with Non-Profit Help and Conference Planning to facilitate travel arrangements for the award winners. Budget None The applicant packets are quite lengthy, specifically the applicant questionnaires. Would it be possible to review and streamline these questionnaires for the 2017 awards cycle? Possible edits:  Instead of asking each applicant to list their work history and/or a list of relevant coursework for the student awards in the application, ask applicants to simply attach a current CV or resume.  Rather than asking multiple short-essay questions, ask the applicants to write one essay that would touch on the issues listed separately in the current application packets (i.e. an essay on the conference theme that includes how it relates to an applicant’s professional goals and objectives and the benefits (s)he might expect to receive from attending the NASIG conference.) Submitted on: May 3, 2016 Bylaws Committee Submitted by: Tessa Minchew Members Tessa Minchew, chair (North Carolina State University) Kate Seago, vice chair (University of Kentucky) Valerie Bross, member (University of California, Los Angeles) Sofia Slutskaya, member (Georgia Perimeter College) Adolfo Tarango, member (University of California, San Diego) Laurie Kaplan, board liaison (ProQuest) Continuing Activities Bylaws changes have been presented to the membership for a thirty day discussion period and simultaneously running ballot that will close on May 23, 2016, twelve days after the end of the discussion period. As of the completion of this report, discussion has been procedural in nature, so the committee assumes that the bylaws changes themselves are not contentious. If the bylaws changes are accepted, the committee will draw up a final version of the bylaws, post them on the website, and deposit a copy of the previous and current bylaws with the archivist. In addition, the committee will be wrapping up updates to its working calendar and committee manual. Completed Activities In the past year, the committee has conducted a thorough review of the bylaws and proposed a number of revisions to accompany changes requested by the Executive Board. (The addition of a petition process, removing references to the now defunct corresponding membership category, and clarifying the rights of organizational members.) The committee has also reviewed and updated its webpage and internal documentation, excepting the committee manual and working calendar, updates to which will be completed before the annual conference. Budget $100.00 Questions for Board None Submitted on: May 3, 2016 Communications and Marketing Committee Submitted by: David Macaulay and Julia Proctor Members Paoshan Yue, co-chair (University of Nevada, Reno) [Webspinner] - to Jan. 29, 2016 David Macaulay, co-chair (University of Wyoming) [Webspinner] - from Jan. 29, 2016 Julia Proctor, co-chair [Listmanager] Jennifer Arnold, vice co-chair (Central Piedmont Community College) [Webspinner] - from Jan. 29, 2016 Jessica Ireland, vice co-chair (Radford University) [Listmanager] Leigh Ann DePope, publicist (University of Maryland College Park) Beth Ashmore, SERIALST Manager (Samford University Library) Chris Bulock, member (California State University Northridge) Steve Fallon, member (De Gruyter) Smita Joshipura, member (Arizona State University) Chris Burris, board liaison (Wake Forest University) Continuing Activities    Committee members are rotating on regular duties (blog, jobs blog, spam filter and SERIALST monitoring). SERIALST monitoring became a new monthly duty in July 2015. A CMC member serves as a SERIALST co-monitor to assist with approving messages. Committee is facilitating promotion of the annual conference. Non-member registrants for the NASIG Annual Conference are being added to NASIG-L weekly. About a month after the conference, CMC will check these lists against the Member Directory and remove folks who are still non-members. Publicist consults with and sends announcements from committee chairs or the board as requested to external lists. Publicist schedules tweets and retweets of items of interest, including events (with repeated reminders of deadlines), availability of presentations, proceedings, etc.; advertises the Jobs Blog; and scans the Newsletter for individual items to highlight; posts items of interest to Facebook and/or LinkedIn. SERIALST Manager approves posts, collects posts for weekly commercial digest, and assists list members with subscription issues. Completed Activities Web  Conducted web training for new chairs via webinar on June 22, 2015. The webinar recording was shared with all committee chairs after the training. NASIG Newsletter           Updated committee pages, member center group spaces, and web permissions for new members. Removed the 2013 and 2014 conference attendee lists and uploaded the 2015 list. Archived the 2015 Conference Website. Uploaded the Core Competencies for Print Serials Management to the website and submitted it to the ALA website, where it is now listed at Added the new tagline to social media descriptions (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, SlideShare). Worked with DD & AMO to update the membership application form to include an option for one-year free membership for library school students. Updated the membership benefits webpage. Updated web pages and uploaded new documents upon request, including the Membership Benefits page to include new organizational membership information. Created a new “For Members” page and moved relevant information from the Membership Benefits page; added “quick links” to these pages on the site home page. Assisted CEC in promotion of webinars. Assisted in 2016 board elections. Worked with the Newsletter editor, bepress, and AMO to add a search facility to the Newsletter page on Worked with AMO to implement a Google Site Search to include more site content (such as committee public pages, the blogs, and the newsletter) in the main site search. Listserv  Updated all committee listservs and forwarding email addresses for 2015/16 in June 2015.  Non-member conference attendees were removed from NASIG-L by July 30.  Renamed the committee listservs from to on July 29, 2015.  Adjusted the list settings for NASIG-L so that the “from” field is rewritten to be the list address rather than the actual email address of the poster. All committee listservs and forwarding email addresses were updated for 2015/16 in June. Non-member 2015 conference attendees were removed from NASIG-L by July 30. Miscellaneous  Completed work on getting the new NASIG logo up on the website, social media sites and blogs, and the Newsletter.  Uploaded 29 conference presentations to SlideShare.  Uploaded videos of 2015 Conference Vision Speakers to NASIG YouTube channel.  Continued looking at the existing wiki to identify outdated information needing updates.  Worked with Bylaws Committee to conduct the vote on revisions to Bylaws (closes May 23, 2016). An additional amount of $100/year has been requested to implement the ad-free Google Site Search service on the site. Budget Category Conference calls Contracted services Bee.Net ($500 per month – email and listservs) ArcStone (NASIG website and association management - $300 per month + contingency amount of $1450 for 10 hours of programming if needed) SERIALST maintenance Survey Monkey (online surveys) SlideShare Pro (conference presentations) 2015/2016 Estimate $0.00 $0.00 $6,000.00 $5,050.00 $10,000.00 $204.00 $114.00 Contingency TOTAL $882.00 $23,000.00 NASIG-L NASIG has 26 listservs. NASIG has 27 active email addresses. As of April 21st 2016, there are 917 subscribed members to NASIG-L and 62 unsubscribed members. SERIALST SERIALST has 2406 subscribers (as of 04/21/2016) 1118 messages sent to SERIALIST subscribers from May 2015-April 21, 2016 SlideShare Views April 2015-March 2016 – 34,417 Total (since April 2012) – 157,271 Top Content April 2015-March 2016 (views) 1) The impact of reorganization on staff: using the core competencies as a framework for staff training and development (1342) 2) Wrangling metadata from hathi trust and pubmed to provide full text linking to the cornell veterinarian (1231) 3) Why the Internet is more attractive than the library (901) 4) Scholarly video journals to increase productivity in research and education (888) 5) Managing discovery and linking services (804) Blog stats (April 2015-March 2016) NASIG Blog visits - 7789 Jobs Blog visits – 17,291 Website Visits (Google Analytics) April 2015-March 2016 April 2015 May 2015 June 2015 July 2015 August 2015 Total 4158 5505 2331 1370 1164 1263 2053 1863 2924 3282 3348 4306 33,567 Top Ten Pages (Google Analytics) April 2015-March 2016 and /site_home.cfm (home page) 25,131 12,745 ation_webpage_menu=700&pk_association_w ebpage=1228 and ation_webpage_menu=700 (both go to main page for annual conference) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_men u=700&pk_association_webpage=1234 (Conference Travel Information) 3617 2876 ation_webpage_menu=308&pk_association_w ebpage=186 (Vision & Mission) 2618 ation_webpage_menu=310&pk_association_w ebpage=1225 (Core Competencies) (Membership home page) 2539 2349 ation_webpage_menu=308&pk_association_w ebpage=1166 (Committees page) /site_page.cfm?pk_association_webpage_menu=30 8&pk_association_webpage=1178 (Awards page) 2341 2315 ation_webpage_menu=700&pk_association_w ebpage=1260 (Conference Registration) Twitter @NASIG has 604 followers as of April 20, 2016. Submitted on 4/29/16 Conference Proceedings Editors Submitted by: Angela Dresselhaus Angela Dresselhaus, production editor (East Carolina University) Leigh Ann DePope, production assistant (University of Maryland) Lila A. Ohler, editor (University of Maryland) Kristen Wilson, editor (North Carolina State University) Maria Collins, board liaison (North Carolina State University) 2016 Proceedings:  Collecting License to Publish Forms from presenters  Updating Proceedings report template Completed Activities 2016 Proceedings:  Setup Google Drive for 2016 Proceedings  Sent out a call for Proceedings volunteers  Reviewed PPC MOU agreements  Filled open position on Proceedings Committee  Reviewed Recorder applications, made session assignments, and notified applicants of their status 2015 Proceedings:  Recruited recorders and provided an orientation at the Speaker’s Breakfast  Developed a report template for recorders and presenters  Set up Dropbox as a collaborative sharing space to facilitate paper editing  Set up production deadlines with T&F  Papers were received, editors assigned, editing completed  Worked with authors to improve quality of papers  Compiled/Wrote front and Back Matter  All materials uploaded into CATS. Developed a proposal to be reviewed by the board. Proposal created a committee by adding two new positions to manage administrative aspects. Clarified T&F paper requirements to improve the workflow for the 2016 Proceedings Worked with T&F production manager to finalize issue. Online issue should be available in early May. Budget Olympus WS-823 Voice Recorders with 8 GB Built-InMemory (cost $120) were purchased and received. Submitted on: April 27, 2016 Continuing Education Committee Submitted by: Esta Tovstiadi & Kevin Balster Esta Tovstiadi, chair (University of Colorado Boulder) Kevin Balster, vice-chair (University of California Los Angeles) Janet Arcand, member (Iowa State University) Adele Fitzgerald, member (St. Joseph's College New York) Mandy Hurt, member (Duke University Libraries) Rachel Lundberg, member (Duke University Libraries) Catherine Nelson, member (University of California, Santa Barbara) Jane Skoric, member (Harvard University) Xiaoyan Song, member (North Carolina State University) Shoko Tokoro, member (University of North Carolina at Charlotte) Wendy Robertson, board liaison (University of Iowa) Continuing Activities  Revising the Committee Handbook  Hosting a May webinar  Hosting a joint webinar with NISO in August  Investigating WebEx as a platform for interactive continuing education activities  Contacting NASIGuides authors to request addition of Creative Commons license to NASIGuides NASIG Newsletter May 2016  Created a Google Drive to store in-progress committee documents  Hosted a webinar in February  Re-organized the governing structure of the committee to include two co-chairs and two vicechairs  Revised webinar planning and hosting procedures  Investigated and recommended Creative Commons license for NASIG continuing education materials  Revised the Core Competencies for Electronic Resources Librarians  Revised the Core Competencies for Print Serials Management  Recommended NASIG member rates on webinars for NISO members Submitted on: April 29, 2016 Database & Directory Committee Submitted by: Christine Radcliff Christine Radcliff, chair (Texas A&M University Kingsville) Kathryn Wesley, vice-chair (Clemson University) Rebecca Culbertson, member (University of California, San Diego) Stephanie Spratt, member (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs) Elizabeth Jones, member (University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center) Beverly Geckle, board liaison (Middle Tennessee State University) Continuing Activities We continue to run monthly reports to ensure that all members are renewing, new members are welcomed, and non-renewed members are deactivated. We also continue to update procedures in the D&D manual as changes occur and to make procedures easier to follow. This fall co-chair Kathryn Wesley has completed the following items:  Added award winners that get free memberships to the database and sent welcome message.  Added 2015 vision speakers to the database and sent welcome message.  Worked with chair of CMC to set up trial free student membership dues types.  Changed all-timers memberships to permanent. Examined various ways to handle this, and decided just to extend ‘paid through date’ 50 years to avoid confusion with existing lifetime membership type (one-time $1000 payment).  Identified for Membership Development active members who are retirees, and recent retirees who did not renew memberships This Spring dues types for 2016 were created and 2015 dues types were deactivated in early January. We worked to delete member records with a paid through date of 2010 or before. The Board agreed that records that have not been renewed after 5 years should be deleted in general. I will get this written into the D&D manual so that it can be completed each year and the database will not be as clogged as it once was. Additionally we worked on eliminating old unpaid invoices from member records. Being proactive about this will ensure that members are renewing for the current year and that their membership expiration dates are current. This will also help around the time of the annual conference when many lapsed members try to renew/register for conference. Budget No expenses anticipated for the coming period. Statistical Information Current active membership as of April 27, 2016 is 947 members. Submitted on: April 27, 2016 NASIG Newsletter Evaluation and Assessment Committee Submitted by: Derek Marshall Derek Marshall, chair (Mississippi State University) Melody Dale, vice-chair (Mississippi State University) Clint Chamberlain, member (Dallas County Community College) Deberah England, member (Wright State University) Michael Fernandez, member (University of Mary Washington) Kathryn Johns-Masten, member (SUNY Oswego) Trina Nolen, member (Lamar University) Steve Oberg, board liaison (Wheaton College) The Chair is in communication with the Program Planning Committee (PPC) and Conference Planning Committee (CPC) chairs about the conference evaluation. Completed Activities The Chair worked with the Board Liaison and VicePresident/President-Elect to confirm committee’s membership for 2016. Melody Dale agreed to serve as Vice-Chair for 2016. The Chair tested the committee’s listserv. The Chair contacted the Board Liaison for suggestions on new questions/additions for the 2016 conference evaluation. No new additions were recommended. The Chair was in contact with Communications & Marketing Committee to ensure that the committee web page was up-to-date. The Chair requested and received access to SurveyMonkey to begin the process of creating the 2016 evaluation survey. The Chair contacted the Board Liaison to determine that a $50 Amazon gift card will be the evaluation survey drawing prize. Submitted on: March 31, 2016 Membership Development Committee Annual Report Submitted by Trina Holloway Trina Holloway, chair (Georgia State University) Rachel Erb, vice-chair (Colorado State University) Elizabeth McDonald, member (University of Memphis) Stephanie Bernard, member (Robert Woodruff Library AUC) Alejandra Nann, member (University of San Diego) Denise Novak, member (Carnegie Mellon University) Alice Rhoades, member (Rice University) Laurie Kaplan, board liaison (ProQuest) Continuing Activities   New members welcome letter/non-renewals reminder letter. Email is sent monthly to new members who joined NASIG or members who have not renewed membership. Suggested improvement to website in reference to membership. Completed Activities    Drafted publicity statement announcing Free Student Membership (Board approved publicity statement) – posted to NASIG’s website. Created a flyer advertising the conference to local libraries in Albuquerque, New Mexico – sent via email to directors/management. Updated promotional brochure created by 2014/15 committee – posted to NASIG’s website. Board approved suggestions for making membership information more visible on website. Procedure manual created. $100 for conference calls. Submitted on: May 2, 2016 NASIG Newsletter Annual Report Submitted by: Kate Moore Kate Moore, editor-in-chief (Indiana University Southeast) Sharon Dyas-Correia, profiles editor (University of Toronto Libraries) Kurt Blythe, columns editor (University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill) Rachel A. Erb, conference & submissions editor (Colorado State University) Tina Buck, copy editor (University of Central Florida) Stephanie Rosenblatt, copy editor (Cerritos College) Andrew Wesolek, layout editor (Clemson University) Nancy Hampton, advertising editor (Xavier University of Louisiana) Eugenia Beh, board liaison (MIT) Continuing Activities The May issue is currently in production. Three calls for conference reporters have been sent out by Rachel Erb, conference & submissions editor, for the September issue. Rachel Erb is stepping down as submissions editor with the end of the May 2016 issue. Two calls for applications for this position have been sent out. The deadline for response has been extended to May 13th.  Published Issues o September 2015 o December 2015 o March 2016 Personnel Updates  Appointments o Nancy Hampton joined the editorial board in the newly created advertising editor position after the NASIG Conference in May 2015. o Tina Buck joined the editorial board as a copy editor in November 2015.  Resignations o Angie Rathmel resigned from her copy editor position after the May 2015 issue  Rachel Erb completed a manual for the submissions editor position.  Updated NASIG logo on the Newsletter masthead, website header, and sidebar. Budget None requested Statistical Information      99,121 full-text downloads since the Newsletter was hosted on the bepress platform 9,117 full-text downloads for the past year (May 2015 – April 2016) 2,743 full-text downloads since last report (January – April 2016) Countries with highest referrals since the Newsletter was hosted on the bepress platform: India (344); Canada (276); United Kingdom (272); Russian Federation (158); France (153) Countries with highest referrals for the past year (May 2015 – April 2016): Canada (20); India (16); United Kingdom (12); Russian Federation (6) None Submitted on: May 3, 2016 Nominations & Elections Committee Submitted by: Maria Hatfield Maria Hatfield, chair (WT Cox) Patrick Carr, vice-chair (University of Connecticut) Todd Enoch, member (University of North Texas) Emily Farrell, member (De Gruyter) Marcella Lesher, member (St. Mary’s University) Erika Ripley, member (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) Marsha Seamans, member (University of Kentucky) Steve Oberg, board liaison (Wheaton College) Continuing Activities Committee manual is under review for any necessary revisions. Completed Activities 2015/2016 election was conducted according to the timetable approved by the Board. Election results were announced to the NASIG membership on March 17, 2016. $100 for conference calls Statistical Information Call for petition candidates was announced to membership on February 9, 2016 and no petition candidates were submitted by the February 26, 2016 deadline. The final slate consisted of the following number of candidates:  2 for Vice-President/President-Elect  7 for three Member-At-Large positions No challenges to the election results were received. Submitted on: May 3, 2016 NASIG Site Selection Committee Submitted by: Carol Ann Borchert Carol Ann Borchert (University of South Florida) Anna Creech (University of Richmond) Anne McKee (Greater Western Library Alliance) The committee held a conference call to discuss the idea of rotating the conference among 3-5 sites. Anne McKee will be drafting an RFP for sites by Tuesday, June 21, to send to sites in the eastern US, the midwest, the west coast, and a few sites in Canada. As the Board has discussed, rotating sites among a few cities will ease the burden on CPC, which currently must develop a relationship with each hotel from scratch every year. This may also encourage the hotels to provide additional concessions if we are going to be repeat customers. The call for nominees was announced to membership on October 6, 2015 with a November 2, 2015 deadline. The following number of nominations was received:  8 for Vice-President/President-Elect  20 for three Member-At-Large positions None. The budget for the 2015 calendar year was $2,000 and we have spent $1,024.79. Submitted on: May 6, 2016 Student Outreach Committee Submitted by: Shannon Regan Shannon Regan, chair (New York Public Library) Melissa Johnson, vice-chair (Georgia Regents University, soon to be Augusta University) Katy DiVittorio, member (University of Colorado, Denver) Christina Geuther, member (Kansas State University) Beth Guay, member (University of Maryland, College Park) Hayley Moreno, member (University of Houston) Maria Collins, board liaison (North Carolina State University) Continuing Activities The committee continues to explore ways to reach students in new and informative ways. SOC is currently collaborating with Continuing Education to create a webinar and potentially a webinar program, for our library school ambassadors to use and reference and as an introduction to NASIG for students. It may also serve as a standalone webinar for student members. We are soliciting feedback from current library school ambassadors to get a better idea of what content will be most useful for a recorded webinar for ambassadors to reference. SOC continues to pursue the idea of introducing Student Snapshot Sessions at the 2017 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN. We plan to meet briefly with Conference Planning Committee, Program Planning Committee, and Awards and Recognition to solidify a timeline to implement the student snapshot sessions at the 2017 Annual Conference. Completed Activities SOC collaborated via listserv to provide a list of recommended survey questions to the Board to query the new student members. SOC also recommends offering a $50 Gift Card incentive for students to participate in the student member survey. The committee requests $50 to print, distribute, and share pamphlets regarding NASIG with library schools, and about the Student Outreach Ambassador program at the annual conference. Recommendations to Board    Input regarding one question: With whom should we collaborate about sponsoring potential student speakers for the student snapshot sessions? $50 Gift Card incentive for students to participate in the student member survey. Create a student members list for contacting NASIG student members about student specific items. Submitted on: April 20, 2016 Financial Planning Task Force Submitted by: Peter Whiting Members Peter Whiting, chair (University of Southern Indiana), 15/16 Virginia Bacon, member (Duke University), 15/16 Susan Davis, member (State University of New York, Buffalo), 15/16 Rob Van Rennes, member (University of Iowa), 15/16 Olaitan Fakinlede, member (Springer Nature), 15/16 Beverly Geckle, ex officio (Middle Tennessee State University), 15/16 Michael Hanson, board liaison (Sam Houston State University) Continuing Activities The task force continues to review NASIG financial information and membership numbers from 2005 to current year. At the March 1st, 2016 conference call Carol Ann Borchert explained that the goal of the task force is a report that has projections with action plans – what the committee would do this action and what would happen in the future. Action Plan Ideas:  Outsource possibilities  Rubric for a nonprofit  Donations  Revenue streams  Membership dues  Market NASIG  Sponsorship Completed Activities The task force had a conference call on November 18, 2015 and March 1, 2016. Expenses for conference calls. Submitted on: May 1, 2016 Scholarly Communications Core Competencies Task Force Submitted by: Andrew Wesolek Andrew Wesolek, chair (Clemson University) Sara Bahnmaier, member (University of Michigan) Angela Dresselhaus, member (East Carolina University) Julie Fielding, member (University of Michigan) Char Simser, member (Kansas State University) Sarah Sutton, member (Emporia State University) William Joseph Thomas, member (East Carolina University) Jason Boczar, member (University of South Florida Libraries) Wendy Robertson, board liaison (University of Iowa) Continuing Activities The task force met virtually several times to identify and evaluate core competencies present in our collection of position announcements and descriptions. We have also started the work of conceptually organizing the report. Finally, we developed a timetable, under which, we expect to begin drafting the report presently, completing a draft this fall. Completed Activities    Completed review of selected job advertisements. Available on the Wiki ( Completed solicitation of job advertisements from various email lists Completed review of continuing education opportunities related to scholarly communication Budget $0 Submitted on: May 2, 2016 The NASIG Newsletter is copyright by NASIG and NASIG encourages its widest use. In accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act's Fair Use provisions, readers may make a single copy of any of the work for reading, education, study, or research purposes. In addition, NASIG permits copying and circulation in any manner, provided that such circulation is done for free and the items are not re-sold in any way, whether for-profit or not-forprofit. Any reproduction for sale may only be done with the permission of the NASIG Board, with a request submitted to the current President of NASIG, under terms which will be set by the Board. The NASIG Newsletter (ISSN: 1542-3417) is published 4 times per year for the members of the North American Serials Interest Group, Inc. Members of the Editorial Board of the Newsletter are: Kate B. Moore Indiana University Southeast Tina Buck University of Central Florida Stephanie Rosenblatt Cerritos College Kurt Blythe University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Rachel A. Erb Colorado State University Libraries Sharon Dyas-Correia University of Toronto Libraries Andrew Wesolek Clemson University Rachel A. Erb Colorado State University Libraries Nancy Hampton Xavier University of Louisiana Eugenia Beh MIT Send submissions and editorial comments to: Kate B. Moore Indiana University Southeast Library New Albany, Indiana Phone: 812-941-2189 Email: Send all items for “Checking In”, "Citations," & “Title Changes” to: Kurt Blythe University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Email: select sites to visit to further narrow down the pool . NASIG Newsletter May 2016 In 2016 , the Newsletter is published in March, May, September, and December. Submission deadlines (February 1 , April 1 , August 1 , and November 1).

This is a preview of a remote PDF:

May 2016 Full Issue, NASIG Newsletter, 2016,